logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#802488 01/24/13 04:55 PM
L
OP Offline
L
I plan to add hand embroidered baby things to my website shop soon. (At the moment most of my inventory is ornaments I made from hollowed out chicken eggs, some of which are embroidered!) I wanted to get some samples stitched up on white fabric. All I had on hand was thin birdseye cotton, which is great for making diapers, but not so great for embroidery. It's such a loose weave that I get gaps between my stitches or the design goes all wonky. I have some samples done on bibs and onesies that belong to my toddler, but I just stitched up her last plain white onesie, and I can't afford to buy a new blank item for every design I have ready to be stitched right now! Buying some fabric by the yard or repurposing a sheet or something in a similar fabric would be a lot easier on my budget. I was thinking muslin, because it stitches up nicely and it's inexpensive, but it's a very different fabric from most bibs and baby clothes. Should I look for a sample fabric similar to what the final product will be? I'm on a pretty small budget and don't want to break the bank over samples, but I also don't want the customer to end up with something that looks completely different from the picture on the website because the onesie fabric doesn't behave the same way as the sample fabric. Any ideas? Help please?

Last edited by LunaDoveDesigns; 01/24/13 04:56 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
If you are preparing embroidery samples that are to go on a specific fabric, then you should always do your samples on a fabric that is as similar to that of the final object as possible. That will show you, and your customers, what it will look like on the finished product.

Sometimes, if the fabric you are testing on is too different, you find that it stitches up completely differently and looks completely different - and that difference is not always good.

Have a look in the dressmaking fabric area rather than the craft area for the sample fabric. You will probably find the right stuff there, and a lot cheaper than craft fabrics.

Megan McConnell
L
OP Offline
L
Thank you, Megan. I'm sure my local fabric shops have similar materials. I'll take a lok ok there. Thanks again!

Moderated by  Megan M 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.