logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Good point,Judy! My second gifted quilt was sent out of state, so the process, the time and effort, the hours, and certainly the cost of materials and then sending off to a long armer to finish were not known. I felt the gift was appreciated, but maybe not as much as WE FEEL they should be appreciated for all that goes in. Well, I had the mom of the giftee with me when I went into a fabulous quilting shop and while she was present asked about their long arming rates. My sister-in-law quickly did the math, and made a comment that they didn't truly appreciate all the money that went into it along with the time and effort. I think they thought I was going on the cheap, making a quilt, rather than buying a gift. Well, know she knows! Perhaps we do need to educate them. I like the idea of appraising, who does that?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
P
P
I think maybe there is another angle this question of value. In general we now live in a throw away society. Once something is a year or so old it is replaced with something else. It is not like it was some years ago where the hand made was of value because it was made by hand. I doubt one can combat that, I have watched it happen in my life as a artist and craftsperson since the nineties. In the eighties, for those who were there, the hand maded was of immense value, because society had different values. I do think it is wonderful to see younger women sewing again and that does hold hope for the future.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
People don't understand the value of a handmade quilt. The time, labor, artistry that go into the making of one.

I do. But that is why I have a hard time actually using the quilt on a bed. It should be hanging up on a wall or kept under glass! LOL.

There is nothing like a cozy quilt to snuggle under but perhaps that is for those crazy, scrap quilts? What are your thoughts?

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
Your words really struck a chord with me. I Made a beautiful quilt for my Mother in Law who never had gifts given to her as a child. I thought she would be over the moon as I had carefully picked the colours and flowers that she loved. She could not even bring herself to say thank you and said the Quilt was just o k. I was so hurt that I said if she did not like it that I would take it back and donate it to charity.She said no, that she would keep it, so begrudgingly I left it with her. However, when I next visited her it was proudly laid out on her bed and stayed there until she passed away years later. As a child she had never been given any compliments, so found it impossible to give them others. It made me realise that not everyone can show how they feel.It changed our relationship for the better and as well as her being my Mother in Law, we became very close friends.

L
lmm Offline
L
Pennypat, I think you are right about hand made gifts not being appreciated and the values having changed. For some I think times have changed, and now "boutique" items are becoming more fashionable. However the price of materials and the value for the hours of work are never compensated.

L
lmm Offline
L
Hi Lori-Dreams, I am the opposite, I like to think the quilts I've made will be well used. I know I am no where near the level of some of the experts, and my quilts often have a lot of mistakes, but I like nothing better than to see them being used and washed and hanging on the line. I know the ones I have given my immediate family fall into that category, and I have a quilt I made for a friends granddaughter, which is just so loved that she has to cart it around as now at 18months she only wants it to cuddle each time she goes to sleep. Thankfully I made it big enough to fit the top of a single bed, as her mother does not think it will be parted with for quite some time. That makes the effort and the expense of materials worthwhile, and is enough thanks to cover those that have been given away and you wonder if they have been appreciated.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Yes, I agree that it's best to see a quilt, be it a total work of art or a confusion of problem solving (or anything in between), hanging on the line being washed and used. It certainly gives us a reason to make new quilts, when these quilts are washed to infinity.

For my part, I'm going to keep giving quilts, even to those who I know won't appreciate them, AND AT THE SAME TIME, endeavour to continue educating the "lay people" (non-crafters) of the value not only monetary value but the effort and care and work and time that goes into creating and making a handmade gift.

Any other ideas for educating the uneducated?

Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting
L
lmm Offline
L
Hi Judi, Bring back handcrafts and seawing etc into primary school. Having gone to a small 1 teacher primarty school, long before days of teacher aids. The principles wife would teach us sewing, and of course I was fortunate that I was already learning from my mother and grandmothers, all had differnt expertise. same with cooking. And then of course there were mothercraft lessons at highschool. My grandchildren love sitting learniing to knit, only coat hanger covers at the momnent, but there mum can't knit, and they practice sewing on buttons. They would learn more if we lived closer, but living over 630 klms away from them, I see them a few times a year, but we always do some craft together even when we only visit for teh weekend.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Spot on Imm, as always educating the young is often the answer to many "social" issues of this century. I have taught 9 year olds to patchwork a pot holder for Mothers Day. I had a great time, although it was pretty exhausting. The teachers basically took an afternoon off when I was teaching, and so I had 30 kids to myself, but besides that, the children took to patchwork very quickly - and interestingly especially the boys!

How else can we get the young interested? I know my guild is always contemplating how to build the young membership.

Any ideas?

Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting
L
lmm Offline
L
Maybe that is what is needed, I know the machine sales shop that I utilise at Hervey Bay (Ron Morgan) runs sewing classes for children 10 years and over, and the teacher has a fun time. I wish my grandchildren lived closer, as when they hit 10 I would certainly enroll and take them down my self. I agree, re boys. My 8 year old grandson loves sitting with me learning as much as my 6 year old granddaughter. I was very shocked at how well she picked up holding the knitting needles and using them and knitting. I just started each row for her, her tension was nearly as good as mine, true only 12 stiches on the needles, and minimal dropped stiches. I gace them both a french knitting machine for christmas, and cotton for it, and when they have a long length done we will sew together for a beanie or placemat or something. This year for christmas, my daughter-in-law had the children draw and colour in using crayons a picture for each of us on calico. She also had them die another piece of calico (I had given the previous year the children a lot of dies for them to use to die clothes as well as white shirts, singlets and socks etc) and then my dil zig zagged the 2 opieces together for placemats for us. All the uncles and aunts and grandparents and great gradparents got hand made placemats, and it was wonderful to get a placemat with "No 1 Grandma" and grandad's had his tractors and boats on it. Best Christmas gift ever. The dies were not cheap but they have had a lot of fun with them, and I now have to top up colours etc, as they are using them not only for their own clothing but also for gifts. So maybe as quilters or crafters, we need to make a concerted effort to work with the young childre who are in our families or neighbours and encourage them with reasonably cheap craft gift ideas. Mayvbe this could be another blog topic.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.