Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
faclinic, Vermontwhitewolf, zenwindowsboston, protegopooja24, Ellie Radu - CF Editor
57237 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57237 Members
417 Forums
113099 Topics
801763 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 859
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 520
Beetlemess 220
Nancy Roussy 118
Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 115
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 113
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 68
Jana - Creativity Editor 62
Sandra Investing/HFinance 50
Susan - Meditation Editor 47
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#788657 - 10/20/12 12:09 PM Japanese Souvenirs (pix updated on Jan 25)
Tas - Japanese Culture Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish

Loc: Japan
Most countries in the world sell souvenirs, mainly to tourists - domestic or otherwise. But perhaps none can compare to Japan in terms of variety and volume when it comes to souvenirs. In addition, the Japanese are masters of souvenir marketing strategy.

Omiyage - Japanese Souvenirs

Edited by Tas - Japanese Culture (01/25/13 05:30 AM)

Add Japanese Souvenirs (pix updated on Jan 25) to Twitter Add Japanese Souvenirs (pix updated on Jan 25) to Facebook Add Japanese Souvenirs (pix updated on Jan 25) to MySpace Add Japanese Souvenirs (pix updated on Jan 25) to Del.icio.us Digg Japanese Souvenirs (pix updated on Jan 25) Add Japanese Souvenirs (pix updated on Jan 25) to Yahoo My Web Add Japanese Souvenirs (pix updated on Jan 25) to Google Bookmarks Add Japanese Souvenirs (pix updated on Jan 25) to Stumbleupon Add Japanese Souvenirs (pix updated on Jan 25) to Reddit
#788738 - 10/21/12 04:32 AM Re: Omiyage [Re: Tas - Japanese Culture]
Lori-Dreams Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Oh, yes. I am very familiar with the practice of omiyage. I discourage my family from following it because I do not wish to place a burden upon them to shop for, carry around and pack up souvenirs for me. frown

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage

Add Re: Omiyage to Twitter Add Re: Omiyage to Facebook Add Re: Omiyage to MySpace Add Re: Omiyage to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Omiyage Add Re: Omiyage to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Omiyage to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Omiyage to Stumbleupon Add Re: Omiyage to Reddit
#788745 - 10/21/12 10:23 AM Re: Omiyage [Re: Lori-Dreams]
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish

Haha, good for you! Only buy things you really need/want - That's my motto.

Add Re: Omiyage to Twitter Add Re: Omiyage to Facebook Add Re: Omiyage to MySpace Add Re: Omiyage to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Omiyage Add Re: Omiyage to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Omiyage to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Omiyage to Stumbleupon Add Re: Omiyage to Reddit
#788852 - 10/22/12 01:25 AM Re: Omiyage [Re: Tas - Japanese Culture]
Lori-Dreams Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

I completely agree. I do not own a lot of things and it feels liberating! smile

The Dream Collective
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor

#789083 - 10/23/12 10:07 AM Re: Omiyage [Re: Lori-Dreams]
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish

I mentioned about the Shuincho and Goshuin in the article. Here's a pic of the cover of my Shuincho. I bought this at Yamadera, a series of temples constructed on the mountain. It's in Yamagata prefecture in the Tohoku region.

And here're a few of the inside pages. The 2 Goshuin on the right are from temples, while the 2 on the left are from shrines.

The 2 shrines where I got the Goshuin from are in Kyushu. As for the temple Goshuin, I got them from Osorezan and a temple that houses a mummified buddhist monk. Both are in Tohoku.

Edited by Tas - Japanese Culture (10/23/12 10:25 AM)

#802522 - 01/25/13 05:28 AM Re: Omiyage - Japanese Souvenirs (Updated w/ pix) [Re: Tas - Japanese Culture]
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish

Today, I got this souvenir from the principal of the school where I work...

This is a "manju", a type of Japanese confection. But that's not I want to highlight here. Take a look at the pic of the guy on the plastic.

It's a cartoonised Shinzo Abe, the current Japanese prime minister.

This manju is sold at a souvenir shop outside Tokyo's Yasukuni Shrine. Japanese prime ministers' visits to the shrine have been a source of conflict between Japan and its neighbours China and South Korea, because Japanese World War 2 Class A criminals are enshrined there.

Anyway, you'll notice two birds in the picture too. What is their significance here?

Well, as I had mentioned in the article on Traditional Japanese New Year Period Food , the Japanese are very fond of word play. You gotta understand this first...

Now, in the recent general election in Japan, Shinzo Abe's Liberal Democratic Party's slogan was "Restore Japan" (nihon wo torimodosu". 日本を取り戻す

"Bird" in Japanese is called "tori". 鳥

Get it now? smile

Oh, and the Shin-chan (Little Shin) manju comes in two flavors. According to the principal, this souvenir is very popular...

And the taste? Like any other generic manju that's sold everywhere.

Japan never ceases to amaze me.

Add Re: Omiyage - Japanese Souvenirs (Updated w/ pix) to Twitter Add Re: Omiyage - Japanese Souvenirs (Updated w/ pix) to Facebook Add Re: Omiyage - Japanese Souvenirs (Updated w/ pix) to MySpace Add Re: Omiyage - Japanese Souvenirs (Updated w/ pix) to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Omiyage - Japanese Souvenirs (Updated w/ pix) Add Re: Omiyage - Japanese Souvenirs (Updated w/ pix) to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Omiyage - Japanese Souvenirs (Updated w/ pix) to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Omiyage - Japanese Souvenirs (Updated w/ pix) to Stumbleupon Add Re: Omiyage - Japanese Souvenirs (Updated w/ pix) to Reddit
#802695 - 01/25/13 06:18 PM Re: Omiyage - Japanese Souvenirs (Updated w/ pix) [Re: Tas - Japanese Culture]
Lori-Dreams Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Nor me. I am fascinated by all these cultural tidbits you bring to us!

How funny about the manju. Can you imagine if the US sold Obama cookies? Too funny.

As for the tori...my middle name is Chidori.

The Dream Collective
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor

Add Re: Omiyage - Japanese Souvenirs (Updated w/ pix) to Twitter Add Re: Omiyage - Japanese Souvenirs (Updated w/ pix) to Facebook Add Re: Omiyage - Japanese Souvenirs (Updated w/ pix) to MySpace Add Re: Omiyage - Japanese Souvenirs (Updated w/ pix) to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Omiyage - Japanese Souvenirs (Updated w/ pix) Add Re: Omiyage - Japanese Souvenirs (Updated w/ pix) to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Omiyage - Japanese Souvenirs (Updated w/ pix) to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Omiyage - Japanese Souvenirs (Updated w/ pix) to Stumbleupon Add Re: Omiyage - Japanese Souvenirs (Updated w/ pix) to Reddit
#802751 - 01/26/13 07:18 AM Re: Omiyage - Japanese Souvenirs (Updated w/ pix) [Re: Lori-Dreams]
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish

LOL maybe you should come to Japan and buy those manju! smile

A Japanese friend of mine - who's a supporter of Shinzo Abe - actually thinks that "tori" idea is cool and ingenious. Seriously.

Only in Japan do you get this kinda stuff...

Moderator:  Tas - Japanese Culture 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Call for Ideas for Attention Defict Disorder Artic
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Attention Deficit Disorder
12 minutes 19 seconds ago
Free E-Book for Building School Success
21 minutes 32 seconds ago
Better Nutrition Helps ADD
22 minutes 34 seconds ago
Salvaging a Dry Roast
Sandwiches
27 minutes 4 seconds ago
Worldwide Neuromuscular Disease Consortia
by Jori-ND Editor
Neuromuscular Diseases
29 minutes 0 seconds ago
MOM is in Martian orbit - jubilation in India!
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
41 minutes 7 seconds ago
New Post - Naturist Tourist in Ireland
by Bee - IrishCulture
Irish Culture
Today at 08:45 AM
Review of Carol Reed's The Third Man (1949)
by Ellie Radu - CF Editor
Classic Films
Today at 08:37 AM
Obama's Pass-the-Buck Presidency
by Linda Sue Grimes
Republican Party
Today at 07:45 AM
Halloween
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 05:50 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.