Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
faclinic, Vermontwhitewolf, zenwindowsboston, protegopooja24, Ellie Radu - CF Editor
57237 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57237 Members
417 Forums
113101 Topics
801799 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 859
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 520
Beetlemess 220
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 136
Nancy Roussy 115
Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 115
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 68
Jana - Creativity Editor 62
Sandra Investing/HFinance 50
Susan - Meditation Editor 46
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#802488 - 01/24/13 08:55 PM Best fabric for samples?
LunaDoveDesigns Offline

I plan to add hand embroidered baby things to my website shop soon. (At the moment most of my inventory is ornaments I made from hollowed out chicken eggs, some of which are embroidered!) I wanted to get some samples stitched up on white fabric. All I had on hand was thin birdseye cotton, which is great for making diapers, but not so great for embroidery. It's such a loose weave that I get gaps between my stitches or the design goes all wonky. I have some samples done on bibs and onesies that belong to my toddler, but I just stitched up her last plain white onesie, and I can't afford to buy a new blank item for every design I have ready to be stitched right now! Buying some fabric by the yard or repurposing a sheet or something in a similar fabric would be a lot easier on my budget. I was thinking muslin, because it stitches up nicely and it's inexpensive, but it's a very different fabric from most bibs and baby clothes. Should I look for a sample fabric similar to what the final product will be? I'm on a pretty small budget and don't want to break the bank over samples, but I also don't want the customer to end up with something that looks completely different from the picture on the website because the onesie fabric doesn't behave the same way as the sample fabric. Any ideas? Help please?

Edited by LunaDoveDesigns (01/24/13 08:56 PM)

Add Best fabric for samples? to Twitter Add Best fabric for samples? to Facebook Add Best fabric for samples? to MySpace Add Best fabric for samples? to Del.icio.us Digg Best fabric for samples? Add Best fabric for samples? to Yahoo My Web Add Best fabric for samples? to Google Bookmarks Add Best fabric for samples? to Stumbleupon Add Best fabric for samples? to Reddit
#802523 - 01/25/13 06:09 AM Re: Best fabric for samples? [Re: LunaDoveDesigns]
Megan M Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
If you are preparing embroidery samples that are to go on a specific fabric, then you should always do your samples on a fabric that is as similar to that of the final object as possible. That will show you, and your customers, what it will look like on the finished product.

Sometimes, if the fabric you are testing on is too different, you find that it stitches up completely differently and looks completely different - and that difference is not always good.

Have a look in the dressmaking fabric area rather than the craft area for the sample fabric. You will probably find the right stuff there, and a lot cheaper than craft fabrics.

Add Re: Best fabric for samples? to Twitter Add Re: Best fabric for samples? to Facebook Add Re: Best fabric for samples? to MySpace Add Re: Best fabric for samples? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Best fabric for samples? Add Re: Best fabric for samples? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Best fabric for samples? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Best fabric for samples? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Best fabric for samples? to Reddit
#802690 - 01/25/13 06:09 PM Re: Best fabric for samples? [Re: LunaDoveDesigns]
LunaDoveDesigns Offline

Thank you, Megan. I'm sure my local fabric shops have similar materials. I'll take a lok ok there. Thanks again!

Add Re: Best fabric for samples? to Twitter Add Re: Best fabric for samples? to Facebook Add Re: Best fabric for samples? to MySpace Add Re: Best fabric for samples? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Best fabric for samples? Add Re: Best fabric for samples? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Best fabric for samples? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Best fabric for samples? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Best fabric for samples? to Reddit

Moderator:  Megan M 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Easy Daily Bible Study
by Sunnie - Bible Basics
Bible Basics
29 minutes 1 second ago
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
Today at 12:33 PM
Word From Last Letter Game
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Contests & Sweepstakes
Today at 11:14 AM
The Gifts of ADD
Attention Deficit Disorder
Today at 11:04 AM
7 Chaos Taming Strategies for ADD
Today at 11:03 AM
The Daily Show
by Nancy Roussy
Specialty Channels
Today at 09:51 AM
Call for Ideas for Attention Defict Disorder Artic
Today at 09:38 AM
Free E-Book for Building School Success
Today at 09:28 AM
Better Nutrition Helps ADD
Today at 09:27 AM
Salvaging a Dry Roast
Sandwiches
Today at 09:23 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 121 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.