Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
NancyJ Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hello

Last edited by Sadhana - Indian Food; 03/12/13 01:38 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
G
G
there might be a reply if I could find something to comment about...this pg appears to be 'lonely'

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
One thing is to keep involved with people.

My mother in law is 87 and still volunteering. She spends two days, at least, with the Shepherd Center which is a national organization. This is an organization for seniors to help seniors and learning opportunities.

The mission is to help elderly seniors remain relatively independent. When you need a ride to a doctor or hospital or shopping, and do need a ride, they have volunteers who will provide a ride. There are limits - once a week, but for the older volunteer it is a means to stay involved, help others, and socialize.

Adventures in Learning are classes on a myriad of subjects - dance, history, politics, sewing, music, and many more.

A
A
his pg appears to be 'lonely' Haha, that cracked me up! :D I personally thing 5 must follow activities for seniors is :- 1) Exercising 2) Reading 3) Indoor sports 4) Light dancing or listening to music 5) Pursuing a hobby like knitting, or coins, etc.

Last edited by AlanWoods; 03/12/13 01:17 AM.
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
How about a hobby like gardening, kayaking, archery, or camping?

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

D
D
Activities for the elderly help to keep seniors with dementia happier and more productive while boosting their sense of self-worth.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Socializing and exercising their bodies and minds are key. My elderly aunt has early dementia but has seemed to rebound slightly with some new friends. Living alone, she began to spiral downward not caring about her hygiene and appearance. But now in an active assisted living apartment/resort-like facility, she's back at the top of her game. Albeit still very forgetful.

I read that socializing, exercising and having interests are like the Holy Trinity of being well as you age.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
My mother in law is 88 and still volunteering. As a result she gets up early, goes to "work" where she not only exercises her mind but socializes. You're right, socialization is important, as is keeping up with or being interested in what is going on locally, and being needed.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
That is fantastic, Angie!

One of my great aunts is 91. She just gave up her car and driver's license last year! She used to pick up her friends, who were older, and take them to the senior community center. They would sew costumes and practice dances then entertain at different centers. The dances were the old-fashioned Japanese dances to Japanese music, not break dancing or anything rigorous!

She and her friends just agreed that they can no longer fly up to Las Vegas without assistance. Until two years ago, she and her friends would do Vegas runs by themselves.

She still meets her friends at the center but gets a ride. She is inspiring.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
I used to volunteer at a senior center and the seniors there took on responsibilities treating their involvement there like work.

They showed up at 9 every day and left at 5 pm. Just like it was a job. They played games, engaged in hobbies, made arrangements to travel etc.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

Moderated by  DeboraD 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.