Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Badnezzahmi, vincischool, christylynn81, minas, puumando
57215 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57215 Members
417 Forums
113021 Topics
801183 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 855
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 470
Beetlemess 305
Nancy Roussy 149
Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 115
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 90
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 71
Sandra Investing/HFinance 45
Susan - Meditation Editor 44
Mona - Astronomy 40
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#775156 - 07/27/12 06:27 AM Five must follow activities for seniors
NancyJ Offline

Hello

Edited by Sadhana - Indian Food (03/12/13 05:38 AM)

Add Five must follow activities for seniors to Twitter Add Five must follow activities for seniors to Facebook Add Five must follow activities for seniors to MySpace Add Five must follow activities for seniors to Del.icio.us Digg Five must follow activities for seniors Add Five must follow activities for seniors to Yahoo My Web Add Five must follow activities for seniors to Google Bookmarks Add Five must follow activities for seniors to Stumbleupon Add Five must follow activities for seniors to Reddit
#801800 - 01/20/13 06:05 PM Re: Five must follow activities for seniors [Re: NancyJ]
gr8fulgilmore Offline

Loc: Montana
there might be a reply if I could find something to comment about...this pg appears to be 'lonely'

Add Re: Five must follow activities for seniors to Twitter Add Re: Five must follow activities for seniors to Facebook Add Re: Five must follow activities for seniors to MySpace Add Re: Five must follow activities for seniors to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Five must follow activities for seniors Add Re: Five must follow activities for seniors to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Five must follow activities for seniors to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Five must follow activities for seniors to Stumbleupon Add Re: Five must follow activities for seniors to Reddit
#801803 - 01/20/13 06:32 PM Re: Five must follow activities for seniors [Re: gr8fulgilmore]
Angie Offline
Zebra

One thing is to keep involved with people.

My mother in law is 87 and still volunteering. She spends two days, at least, with the Shepherd Center which is a national organization. This is an organization for seniors to help seniors and learning opportunities.

The mission is to help elderly seniors remain relatively independent. When you need a ride to a doctor or hospital or shopping, and do need a ride, they have volunteers who will provide a ride. There are limits - once a week, but for the older volunteer it is a means to stay involved, help others, and socialize.

Adventures in Learning are classes on a myriad of subjects - dance, history, politics, sewing, music, and many more.

Add Re: Five must follow activities for seniors to Twitter Add Re: Five must follow activities for seniors to Facebook Add Re: Five must follow activities for seniors to MySpace Add Re: Five must follow activities for seniors to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Five must follow activities for seniors Add Re: Five must follow activities for seniors to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Five must follow activities for seniors to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Five must follow activities for seniors to Stumbleupon Add Re: Five must follow activities for seniors to Reddit
#810808 - 03/12/13 05:16 AM Re: Five must follow activities for seniors [Re: NancyJ]
AlanWoods Offline

his pg appears to be 'lonely' Haha, that cracked me up! :D I personally thing 5 must follow activities for seniors is :- 1) Exercising 2) Reading 3) Indoor sports 4) Light dancing or listening to music 5) Pursuing a hobby like knitting, or coins, etc.

Edited by AlanWoods (03/12/13 05:17 AM)

#810928 - 03/12/13 07:55 PM Re: Five must follow activities for seniors [Re: NancyJ]
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee

Loc: Kansas USA
How about a hobby like gardening, kayaking, archery, or camping?
Avatar: There is Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

Here is a link to my EBook.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

#820293 - 05/10/13 01:56 AM Re: Five must follow activities for seniors [Re: NancyJ]
Dolores Coleman Offline

Activities for the elderly help to keep seniors with dementia happier and more productive while boosting their sense of self-worth.

#824732 - 06/05/13 06:11 PM Re: Five must follow activities for seniors [Re: NancyJ]
Lori - Marriage Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: Orange, CA USA
Socializing and exercising their bodies and minds are key. My elderly aunt has early dementia but has seemed to rebound slightly with some new friends. Living alone, she began to spiral downward not caring about her hygiene and appearance. But now in an active assisted living apartment/resort-like facility, she's back at the top of her game. Albeit still very forgetful.

I read that socializing, exercising and having interests are like the Holy Trinity of being well as you age.

BellaOnline.com Marriage
Twitter: @BellaMarriage

Dreams editor
Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

#824755 - 06/05/13 08:16 PM Re: Five must follow activities for seniors [Re: Lori - Marriage]
Angie Offline
Zebra

My mother in law is 88 and still volunteering. As a result she gets up early, goes to "work" where she not only exercises her mind but socializes. You're right, socialization is important, as is keeping up with or being interested in what is going on locally, and being needed.

#827403 - 06/26/13 12:29 PM Re: Five must follow activities for seniors [Re: NancyJ]
Lori - Marriage Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: Orange, CA USA
That is fantastic, Angie!

One of my great aunts is 91. She just gave up her car and driver's license last year! She used to pick up her friends, who were older, and take them to the senior community center. They would sew costumes and practice dances then entertain at different centers. The dances were the old-fashioned Japanese dances to Japanese music, not break dancing or anything rigorous!

She and her friends just agreed that they can no longer fly up to Las Vegas without assistance. Until two years ago, she and her friends would do Vegas runs by themselves.

She still meets her friends at the center but gets a ride. She is inspiring.

BellaOnline.com Marriage
Twitter: @BellaMarriage

Dreams editor
Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

#841234 - 10/05/13 11:53 AM Re: Five must follow activities for seniors [Re: NancyJ]
leahmullen Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

I used to volunteer at a senior center and the seniors there took on responsibilities treating their involvement there like work.

They showed up at 9 every day and left at 5 pm. Just like it was a job. They played games, engaged in hobbies, made arrangements to travel etc.

Moderator:  DeboraD 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
bernat mosaic girls lace pinafore
by bubblyblonde174
Crochet
16 minutes 18 seconds ago
Hell's Kitchen
by Nancy Roussy
Reality TV
24 minutes 50 seconds ago
What Should You Avoid in the Interview Process?
by Corlia - Unemployment Editor
Unemployment
Today at 02:55 PM
Skirt steak recipies?
Healthy Foods
Today at 02:51 PM
Weathering the Rejection Letter
Unemployment
Today at 02:43 PM
2015 Primary Sharing Time Theme
by Brenda - Teaching LDS
Teaching LDS
Today at 02:39 PM
Revenge
by Dianne W - Editor
Prime Time TV
Today at 02:33 PM
What exercise did you do today?
by Dianne W - Editor
Exercise
Today at 02:29 PM
What Was Your Trickiest Job Interview Question?
Unemployment
Today at 02:23 PM
I Lost Almost Everything
by Nancy Roussy
Stress Management
Today at 02:16 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
2 registered (Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames, bubblyblonde174), 136 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.