J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By: Lestie - ContainerGardens

Re: What Do You Do ?

Hello Everyone, OH MY! I have only just found this thread and what an interesting read it has been... I am thrilled to be in such company and say thanks to you all. Best

Hi Lestie, delighted to have you join the Self Development Forum. Many thanks for your feedback and quotes. (JOY)

Sponsored Post Advertisement
I
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
I
I LOVE the idea of "why do you ask" Joy! What do you do is so often just a way of opening a conversation and somehow one feels that a real answer is not expected. Susan Jeffers used to suggest a different question, ie "what do you like to do?" which can open up a new path and lead to a real conversation.

Isabel Hood
Mexican Food
Parakeet
Parakeet
Lisa,

I used to feel the same way for years, and when I finally got my degree I felt better too. I'm actually considering going for my doctorate but not for a couple of years now because I need to work for a bit and save money. I'm so happy for you to get this finished. I know HOW GREAT it feels to get that degree in hand. Are you going to walk across the stage? If you've not decided I HIGHLY recommend it. smile

Originally Posted By: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames

So finally I buckled down and restarted my degree at Northeastern, and I only have 11 classes more to go
So that is a good thing too, that my response to the question used to be a quite sad one, and now it's a quite happy one smile.

Stephanie Watson
Weight Loss Editor

Parakeet
Parakeet
I'm proud to say what I do every day. But, I do struggle to explain it. I've worked on the Internet for many years, since before it was as we now know it, and it's always been a real struggle explaining it especially as my title has changed with the times.

Today, I define myself as a Content Strategist. I help clients decide what content they need, locate writers, or write the articles myself based on the keyword research, etc... but when I tell someone I'm a Content Strategist, their eyes glaze over. Or, they ask and I explain. Of course in certain circles they do get it! wink

Stephanie Watson
Weight Loss Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Yes but then that is an entirely different question not so.

As an always interested Recruiter (in my working years) asking someone "What do you do" in terms of making living was nearly always the next question to "how are you" in opening any conversation. Guess we were always ready to recruit or speak to all in terms of careers and jobs and all and all all the time!

In general I think it will be a long time if that question ever drops out of somehow defining a person. Being a medical doctor is different from being 'in advertising' or 'a clown'. I don't-didn't judge positioning; I just used the info that was forthcomng to carry on the conversation and then would most often offer that I was in recruitment (given that I was not asked first!)

And then there are those people who are multi-careered ... like the medical doctor whose parents' untimely and tragic death made her take over a multi-million property-realty company or the conveyancing legal expert who suddenly became a garden nursery owner by getting married to an horticulturalist!

What a great topic this is to explore...

Cheers now,

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Stephanie -

I'm going to have a private ceremony with my family. I am quite shy and the public one would be enormous amounts of stress for little gain. I would much rather have just my family and friends in a small gathering to celebrate with me smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Stephanie -

Every marketing event I attend hammers at the importance of having a compelling elevator speech. A way to describe your quest in life in a short, easy to understand way that is enthusiastic. So it doesn't have to be a "job" - it can be whatever it is you want to share with someone else about yourself.

Maybe we can brainstorm descriptions for you, to help you perfect that! There must be some way to convey the fun things you do.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Lestie -

I agree that it's not even just what they do but how they answer that helps to define them. Imagine if you asked a young 20-something person that question.

Person A responds:
I'm a waiter and my life sucks. I hate being a waiter.

Person B responds:
I'm a waiter in a fun local diner where I get to meet the locals, while I work on my dream of becoming a full-time actor. I'm building my network!

So both are doing the exact same thing, but the sense you get of them as a person is quite different.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I am refining what to say:

"I am an online content provider, focusing on non-fiction, self-help articles and ebooks."

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Maybe I just need to accept that I am odd, and don't like small talk with strangers/acquaintances at all.

I think I am actually incapable of small talk if I am sober. Which is sobering. But it's still good to know these things, and just try to avoid talking in person to people I don't know in the first place.

So I actually feel happy to realize this, and not push myself into uncomfortable situations in the first place.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.