Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
jklmno108133, stuvwx334403, stuvwx841917, dillonmatthews, thouriver
57202 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57200 Members
417 Forums
112997 Topics
800661 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 715
Beetlemess 305
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 267
Nancy Roussy 175
Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 109
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 95
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 93
Susan - Meditation Editor 47
Sandra Investing/HFinance 46
Mona - Astronomy 41
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#801584 - 01/19/13 02:42 AM Courtesy demands reciprocity ?
Omily Offline
Jellyfish

In the society, it is a common phenominon to give people gifts, do you like this phenominon?

Add Courtesy demands reciprocity ? to Twitter Add Courtesy demands reciprocity ? to Facebook Add Courtesy demands reciprocity ? to MySpace Add Courtesy demands reciprocity ? to Del.icio.us Digg Courtesy demands reciprocity ? Add Courtesy demands reciprocity ? to Yahoo My Web Add Courtesy demands reciprocity ? to Google Bookmarks Add Courtesy demands reciprocity ? to Stumbleupon Add Courtesy demands reciprocity ? to Reddit
#801671 - 01/19/13 11:11 PM Re: Courtesy demands reciprocity ? [Re: Omily]
Yvonnie-Inspired Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: Illinois, US
It is always wonderful when we can give gifts from the heart; you know, just giving because you want to. You give a gift to say Thank you or a gift to say I was thinking of you or a gift because you know the person would really appreciate the item. Regardless, yes, it is a beautiful thing, especially when neither person is expecting any thing.

Add Re: Courtesy demands reciprocity ? to Twitter Add Re: Courtesy demands reciprocity ? to Facebook Add Re: Courtesy demands reciprocity ? to MySpace Add Re: Courtesy demands reciprocity ? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Courtesy demands reciprocity ? Add Re: Courtesy demands reciprocity ? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Courtesy demands reciprocity ? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Courtesy demands reciprocity ? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Courtesy demands reciprocity ? to Reddit
#804916 - 02/06/13 08:20 PM Re: Courtesy demands reciprocity ? [Re: Omily]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
I think of it as involving obligation, mainly because we have entire holidays devoted to the expected exchange of gifts. It's adds a lot of baggage to something that should just be a nice experience.

Add Re: Courtesy demands reciprocity ? to Twitter Add Re: Courtesy demands reciprocity ? to Facebook Add Re: Courtesy demands reciprocity ? to MySpace Add Re: Courtesy demands reciprocity ? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Courtesy demands reciprocity ? Add Re: Courtesy demands reciprocity ? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Courtesy demands reciprocity ? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Courtesy demands reciprocity ? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Courtesy demands reciprocity ? to Reddit
#804922 - 02/06/13 08:47 PM Re: Courtesy demands reciprocity ? [Re: Omily]
Nancy Roussy Offline
Elephant

Loc: Ste-Florence, Quebec, Canada
I never expect a gift back when I give a gift and I never expect a gift when I invite someone over my house and I never expect something back when I help someone. All I want is that the person who got a gift or an invitation or help is happy about it, a thank you of course does not hurt but if I see that the person is truely grateful then a thank you is not needed since I can see that it was accepted with happiness. People who give and expect something back do not deserve anything at all. Just like when you invite someone over your house then expect a cake or something you do not deserve to have people to invite to your house. As far as holidays are concerned I do not celebrate any so I do not buy gifts for holidays, I send ecards to my online friends and always say in these cards that if they do not celebrate to have an happy normal day (i found out that this website have ecards so from now on i will send them), that's it as far as holidays goes. If people are mad at me for not celebrating any holidays and not giving them anything on these days then it's their problem.

#804930 - 02/06/13 09:30 PM Re: Courtesy demands reciprocity ? [Re: Nancy Roussy]
Yvonnie-Inspired Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: Illinois, US
Nancy and Jilly-

I agree. I too give with no expectation of reciprocity. I always say, "If you give a gift and then see the person wiping their butt with it, that should be okay, it was theirs to wipe their butt with." Once I give it to you, it is no longer mine to be concerned about. I gave it because I thought you would appreciate it and if that is how you show your appreciation, then that is what you do (lol). My kids think I'm crazy with that concept.

Holidays, I love them. I love the magic in the air. I don't kill myself trying to get gifts for everyone I know, but I absolutely enjoy that nudge of thinking of people I normally don't consider when I see quirky items in store windows.

I really enjoy giving.

Courtesy, I love.

Moderator:  Yvonnie-Inspired 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Replace one word (Music Titles)
by Rosie 66
Comedy Movies
Today at 05:09 AM
Replace one word... (new game)
by Rosie 66
Comedy Movies
Today at 04:59 AM
Shopping at Walmart Game
by Rosie 66
Home Finance
Today at 04:54 AM
Word From Last Letter Game
by Rosie 66
Contests & Sweepstakes
Today at 04:51 AM
Particle System - Emitter Shape Parameters
by Digital Art and Animation
Flash and Animation
Today at 04:44 AM
Astrophotographer of the Year 2014 - shortlist
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 04:31 AM
What are You Reading Right Now?
by Rosie52
Business Owners
Yesterday at 09:55 PM
What Do You Do?
by Rosie52
Self Development
Yesterday at 09:30 PM
zombie hunt charity need ideas
by Jana - Creativity Editor
Creativity
Yesterday at 06:07 PM
Recipes using tea
by mary-tea1
Tea
Yesterday at 04:58 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.