logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
OP Offline
T
It's an age old question: Does it have to have black characters in it to be "african american" literature?

As a black writer who writes stories of all varieties with and without black characters in them, I say no. The simple fact that it's written by a black writer regardless of whether or not there's a single black character in it, that alone should qualify it as african american literature.

**NOTE: new users are not allowed to use links/urls, especially those for personal promotion & marketing purposes!

Am I wrong?

Dee

Last edited by Sadhana - Indian Food; 01/16/13 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Hi, I don't think you're wrong but I guess it comes down to what we individually believe AA literature is. For example, I don't write African-American literature. At least I don't consider my work that. I write mystery/suspense and detective fiction but still it gets classified as black literature because I'm black. My books also have white characters and only a few blacks but still my books are classified as AA or AA Mystery. I write for everyone who will enjoy my work, not just black people.

To me AA literature means stories and books similar to Langston Hughes, Toni Morrison, Alice Walker, stuff like that. I consider it being a book that deals especially with the experience of being black, not just having blacks in it.

The problem is that black writers and black books are unfairly lumped together by our race instead of our writing. I won't go into the dreaded AA bookshelf in the bookstores but that is proof that we aren't seen for our writing alone. Our color is seen first but it isn't fair because we have just as much to offer in our books and stories as any other writer.

We just gotta get people to see beyond our color and stop assuming they know what our books are about just because we are black. people need to stop being so concerned with classifying our work and try picking it up to SEE what we all have to offer. It takes us educating whoever is willing to listen. Whatever a minority author wants to write I believe they should be able to and not put in a box by race. The author's color should NOT have anything to do with their books and should not be a factor but sadly it is.

Thanks for posting!

Stacy-Deanne
African-American Lit
I
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I
I think i agree with Stacy on this one; the fact that you're a black writer doesn't mean that your work should be defaulted to the african-american genre, regardless of whether or not there are black characters in them. I don't believe that your race should have anything to do with your writing - there are so many non-black authors whose origin are not caucasian, yet their works are not necessarily classified as, say, Indian or Mexican literature, unless, ofcourse, the works are specifically themed as such.

Like Stacy mentioned, books by authors like Tony Morrison, Alice Walker, Donna Hill, Octavia Butler, Terri McMillan are what can be without a doubt tagged as 'black fiction', because their plots and themes are centered around being black and experiencing life as a black person.

Ije Yvonne, Editor
Literary Fiction
Current Events
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
For me it's characters. Plot can almost be about any race as well as most settings. and not about who the author is.

Former Chocolate Editor. Also known as Daisybun.

Moderated by  Nina-AALit 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.