Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
kangtuo, asinmylife, izzy87, fanaledrinks112, sophaylavender
56995 Registered Users
Forum Stats
56996 Members
417 Forums
112511 Topics
795353 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 719
Beetlemess 668
Karm - SW USA Editor 266
Nancy Roussy 193
Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 161
Allyson - USACook/HomeCook 128
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 123
Linu 104
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 103
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 93
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#797692 - 12/25/12 10:26 AM Stop Devaluing Standard English
Maeve Maddox-School Ref Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

Loc: Fayetteville AR
Language is the vehicle of education and the transmission of culture. Teachers especially need to value their native language and its literature. It is not enough to be a math teacher or P.E. teacher. All teachers must be English teachers.

Do you agree?

Stop Devaluing Standard English

Add Stop Devaluing Standard English to Twitter Add Stop Devaluing Standard English to Facebook Add Stop Devaluing Standard English to MySpace Add Stop Devaluing Standard English to Del.icio.us Digg Stop Devaluing Standard English Add Stop Devaluing Standard English to Yahoo My Web Add Stop Devaluing Standard English to Google Bookmarks Add Stop Devaluing Standard English to Stumbleupon Add Stop Devaluing Standard English to Reddit
#797852 - 12/26/12 06:30 PM Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English [Re: Maeve Maddox-School Ref]
Jeanne Egbosiuba Ukwendu Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra

Loc: Miami, Florida
When I taught high school math, I would require correct spelling and good grammar from my students. When they complained, I told them they would need good spelling and grammar all their lives as well as good math skills.

Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Twitter Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Facebook Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to MySpace Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Stumbleupon Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Reddit
#800511 - 01/14/13 10:36 AM Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English [Re: Maeve Maddox-School Ref]
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

Jeanne,
If teachers of every subject did that, we wouldn't have the literacy problem we have.

Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Twitter Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Facebook Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to MySpace Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Stumbleupon Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Reddit
#800599 - 01/14/13 04:15 PM Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English [Re: Maeve Maddox-School Ref]
Angie Offline
Zebra

That is very true and once a student transitions to the workplace, their skills or lack of skills become very noticeable.

Our culture is becoming diluted in many ways. The stress that is put on diversity causes segregation in some ways.

#800607 - 01/14/13 05:13 PM Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English [Re: Angie]
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: United Kingdom
I agree completely. If we don't teach students standard English, then we're doing them a great disservice, for they will not have the skills they need for higher education and to compete in the job market.

Insisting that children and young people learn to use standard English appropriately in school is not the same as saying there's something wrong with speaking otherwise at home and with friends. Part of their education must be to learn how to use appropriate language in different contexts.

http://www.bellaonline.com/newsletter/astronomy

#800663 - 01/15/13 09:09 AM Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English [Re: Maeve Maddox-School Ref]
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

Mona,
In all my writing about standard English I make the point that no one dialect is "better" than another. All forms of English are correct to their speakers, but being able to use a standard dialect in addition to one's home dialect is a social and economic asset. As you say, we can choose which form of English we want to use according to context.

Moderator:  Maeve Maddox-School Ref 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Better Nutrition Helps ADD
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Attention Deficit Disorder
1 second ago
Sandwich du jour
Sandwiches
1 minute 7 seconds ago
Tofu in Sandwich Meals
Sandwiches
3 minutes 7 seconds ago
Salad Time
by Allyson - USACook/HomeCook
Low Carb
23 minutes 58 seconds ago
Tadpoles
New England Travel
34 minutes 48 seconds ago
Chinese valentine’s day
by kangtuo
Creativity
Yesterday at 11:19 PM
Suggestion for fashion jewelry?
by kangtuo
Beauty Basics
Yesterday at 11:14 PM
Replace one word... (new game)
Comedy Movies
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
Lisa's Daily 10pm EST / 8pm MST Meditation
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Meditation
Yesterday at 10:03 PM
Shaving for us women ?
by rhondaf43
Body Care
Yesterday at 09:51 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (Connie - ADD/Sandwiches), 137 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.