Next Thread
Print Thread
#800304 01/12/13 08:53 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I meant to post this earlier this week but forgot. I always post the dates for major Buddhist holidays for the year in my first post for the New Year - here are the major Buddhist holidays for 2013, and a little about each:

2013 Buddhist Holidays

This is really just the tip of the iceberg, and each branch and even country has additional ones. The way these are celebrated are often very culturally specific.

As I've often said here, I'm not a big one for holidays, festivals, and rituals, but I respect that this is a big part of being a Buddhist for many people around the world. These days serve as 'markers' for people to focus on different aspects of their path, to stop and give thanks, and to share their practice with other practitioners. I do think this is a very powerful role that religions play in human life, and although for me Buddhism is not an organized religion in the traditional sense, for many people around the world, it is.

Hope you enjoy learning about these!

Lisa Erickson, Buddhism Editor
Buddhism Site
Teaching and Private Session Website: Enlightened Energetics
Blog: Mommy Mystic
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
Dear Lisa.

I also am not concerned with the holidays and such.Almost 30 years ago I worked as an insurance inspector,I had to send my visit list to my boss.He would return it saying: That day we do
not
work ,it's a holiday.
So I never was in reality a holiday person.
First of all ,to me ,most are commercially made.
Secondly my parents being dead for a while.All the people i know and knew were not into holidays too.

The only holiday not being one,was on new years morning ,the eldest had to ask our father to bless us,the family for the year to come.Since because of our mom, there was never affection given in the house.We would all cry when we hugged.it was called
LA BENEDICTION PATERNELLE,The paternal blessings.Just writing this gives me goose bumps all over.

With respect

loong

Koala
Koala
To all or none,

In the Theravadin lineage,every full moon has a name and celebrates an event.

Loong

Moderated by  Lisa - Buddhism 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.