Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
G
Pat, There is nothing more disturbing than a heterosexual trying to explain all the facts/dynamics/beliefs within the homosexuality community. Seriously, I would like to see your full assertion of Cambodian cultures, Islamic cultures and throw in the Aboriginals while your at it!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
N
N
Wow, I'm a little late to this, but I'll jump on in. Before I reveal why gay people want the right to get married, I should probably take a moment to make the definitions in this issue very clear. 1. Marriage is a civil right, defined as such by the U.S. Supreme Court in the 1967 Loving vs. Virginia case. The court specifically stated: [i]Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival.... [/i] 2. Marriage is not a religious institution. Every government requires two people to acquire a license to get married, but it does not require those people to have a religion. Marriage existed long before religion did. With those two factors clearly and irrefutably defined, I can tell you why gay people are fighting for the right to be legally married. When a man marries a woman, it grants that woman the legal status of "NEXT OF KIN." Marriage legally unites two individuals as family, thus giving them all of the rights and protections of a family member. This is a status that CANNOT be granted by a durable power of attorney nor by any other contract or legal document (aside from adoption of a child). Here is another factor that compels gay people to fight for the right to get married (instead of accepting civil unions): Marriage is incontestable (in other words, no authority can tell a legally married couple that their marriage is not legitimate) in every state; civil unions lose their legality in states that do not allow them. You see, it really is about civil rights, because marriage is a civil right. It is being denied to gay people based on gender, which is the definition of discrimination.

L
L
Very well said, NewPerson. (Where's my "LIKE" button?!)

And posting information found on NOM or AFA or AFR is likely to be flawed (either being addressed now as in the one study by Mark Regnerus or as already proven flawed but ignored by these groups)... I'm just throwing that out there.

Lynn Marie Wilson
Gay Lesbian News Site Editor
Visit the Facebook Page
Parakeet
Parakeet
It is absurd that a man would want to be married to another man.

G
G
Yes I agreed.Let every one to do freely what they want.All are equal before law no matter from which country they belongs.gay Marriage is not an issue.The hot issue are security.Securing our border form the illegal entries.

G
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
G
In March 2014 I posted a piece on my blog called "The Gay-marriage Thing" in which I said, What is so special about marriage? It can’t be all about children, surely, in these sophisticated times. At least, not in the West. Promiscuity is blatant, adoptions are easy, artificial insemination is routine, divorces are simple, surgical sex-changes abound, birth control is everywhere, and serial monogamy is the norm. The old ideal of “the nuclear family” has gone out the window.

You can find the whole piece in my Archives of the relevant month OR by Googling the title of the piece preceded by my name. My argument concluded that the state should get out of the marriage business altogether - while (hopefully) remaining in the child-care business. For me, the term "marriage" should apply only to *first*-marriages. Marriages of divorced individuals should be called "civil unions".

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Loved your article Gordon smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.