Next Thread
Print Thread
#798042 12/27/12 11:15 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human

What were the big astronomy stories of the year 2012? Here is my choice of the top ten plus a non-story. What do you think?

Top Astronomy Stories 2012

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Someone has suggested that the SpaceX taking cargo to the Space Station (and also returning materials to Earth) was one of the top stories of 2012.

I agree that it's a big story. The Space Shuttle is no more, and the USA has no replacement yet. So it has all been down to the Russian Soyuz to transport the astronauts and most of the supplies.

In 2011, for the first time, the Japanese Kounotori 2 H-2 Transfer Vehicle took supplies to the ISS, another useful development. But SpaceX is obviously working towards being able to carry people as well as cargo.

I didn't include SpaceX in my list because I didn't see it as an astronomy story. (Maybe we need a Space editor?)

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I've had another response to my question about what was big in astronomy in 2012. It was: the footage of aurorae from space. This wasn't one particular event, but it has made for some pretty images and fabulous videos. Judge for yourself:

Aurorae seen from the Space Station

I've only ever seen an aurora looking up. It must be strange looking down on them!

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Two people were quite definite that the discovery of the Higgs particle at CERN was a major story.

I had decided not to put that one in on the grounds that it was a particle physics discovery, not an astronomy one. But, in fact, particle physics and cosmology come together at the beginning of the universe. The Higgs field is what gives particles mass, so the fact that we even exist is related to this particle.

There was a forum discussion about this in July 2012, What is a Higgs boson? Explained with zombies - it includes a link to an explanation of the Higgs particle with zombies. Amusing and helpful.

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.