Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
pqrstu349027, ashjoielee, johnnie55, uveuleurz, Noitartst
57307 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57307 Members
417 Forums
113281 Topics
803680 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 550
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 369
Beetlemess 279
Jana - Creativity Editor 263
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 81
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 61
Dorcy 55
Nancy Roussy 53
Linu 47
Sandra Investing/HFinance 46
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#709810 - 08/24/11 12:07 AM Crochet pattern stolen
Rebecca G. Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: Wisconsin
I designed a crocheted piece that took a lot of trial and error. I began selling it on etsy in the spring. I just found where someone posted it on a free pattern site two weeks ago. It's the exact pattern to the number of rows and where it's folded and the lot.

What do I do? Can I do anything?

Rebecca

Add Crochet pattern stolen to Twitter Add Crochet pattern stolen to Facebook Add Crochet pattern stolen to MySpace Add Crochet pattern stolen to Del.icio.us Digg Crochet pattern stolen Add Crochet pattern stolen to Yahoo My Web Add Crochet pattern stolen to Google Bookmarks Add Crochet pattern stolen to Stumbleupon Add Crochet pattern stolen to Reddit
#713327 - 09/10/11 01:44 PM Re: Crochet pattern stolen [Re: Rebecca G.]
Enfys Offline

Loc: Cambridgeshire, UK
This is difficult. If they were selling it you could report them to whichever site they were using. You try contacing them and if that were to fail, try contacing their server. Of course, you would also need to prove it was your design and not theirs.

Add Re: Crochet pattern stolen to Twitter Add Re: Crochet pattern stolen to Facebook Add Re: Crochet pattern stolen to MySpace Add Re: Crochet pattern stolen to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Crochet pattern stolen Add Re: Crochet pattern stolen to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Crochet pattern stolen to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Crochet pattern stolen to Stumbleupon Add Re: Crochet pattern stolen to Reddit
#722631 - 10/31/11 03:14 PM Re: Crochet pattern stolen [Re: Rebecca G.]
amoonsinger Offline
Jellyfish

Loc: Oregon
Did you register your design? If so then try contacting the copyright site to see the steps you need to take. If the pattern is and exact copy then you might be able to do something through them.

Do understand though that many patterns are easily duplicated by intermediate to advanced crocheters just by looking at the piece. That often includes rows and stitch counts but writing it exactly the same in the same words is almost and impossibility.

Add Re: Crochet pattern stolen to Twitter Add Re: Crochet pattern stolen to Facebook Add Re: Crochet pattern stolen to MySpace Add Re: Crochet pattern stolen to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Crochet pattern stolen Add Re: Crochet pattern stolen to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Crochet pattern stolen to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Crochet pattern stolen to Stumbleupon Add Re: Crochet pattern stolen to Reddit
#722633 - 10/31/11 03:53 PM Re: Crochet pattern stolen [Re: Rebecca G.]
amoonsinger Offline
Jellyfish

Loc: Oregon
Oh one other thing is this a written pattern you are selling? If so can you find if this person bought this from you? If it is not a written pattern then maybe she saw your picture of the finished items and duplicated it from there.

It would help if you could prove she bought this pattern from you and then posted it for free to others. I left a facebook group because a lady bought a book and was offering the pattern up for free to anyone who wanted it. Constantly trying to get her to stop just didn't work. The moderators didn't seem to care but I and some others did.

#781755 - 09/09/12 03:59 AM Re: Crochet pattern stolen [Re: Rebecca G.]
Beverly-Crochet Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish

Loc: Georgia, USA
Unfortunately, a lot of copyrighting is going on; especially online. It's a difficult thing to get around. And, there are those who are talented enough to do copycat patterns just by looking at a pattern.

One way to protect yourself in the future is to write out your copyright on each and every pattern you put up online, in writing, or anywhere it may be in print.

Each designer has his/her own set of copyright rules. Some allow the pattern to be used for making and selling of items from that pattern. Some will allow making items from that pattern only for personal use or gift giving. Some allow making items from that pattern only as charity gifts; etc. But, ALWAYS state that nowhere should anybody duplicate your pattern. To change the wording, change the color of yarn, the size of the hook, etc does not warrant that they've taken your pattern and changed it into something new. It's still copyright invasion and punishable by law. (I state that almost word for word in nearly all of my patterns). Some designers even ask that if they do make and sell items made from their pattern to please be kind enough to include a tag that has the URL of their blog on it so as to help them generate more business. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

But, it's NEVER okay to copy a person's pattern to your own web site; especially if trying to pass it off as being your own pattern. Way not cool!

So, in the future, keep in mind that it's better to start off by protecting yourself in the beginning. There's also been some very good advice noted here as to contact the person first, then if there's no response, you can contact the person's ISP. One thing that I've always heard that is ALMOST as good as having a pattern individually copyrighted "legally" is to post in the mail a copy of that pattern and then do not open the seal unless there's a discrepancy such as this. Some courts will recognize this as a manner in which to show legal ownership of something by a certain date. Once you've had to go to court over an issue, it's already been decided (in a court of law) that a specific pattern belongs to you).

Beya's Craft & Hobby
Beya's Backyard Tatting

#799368 - 01/07/13 05:05 AM Re: Crochet pattern stolen [Re: Rebecca G.]
clairehobby Offline
Shark

[quote=Rebecca G.]I designed a crocheted piece that took a lot of trial and error. I began selling it on etsy in the spring. I just found where someone posted it on a free pattern site two weeks ago. It's the exact pattern to the number of rows and where it's folded and the lot. What do I do? Can I do anything? Rebecca [/quote] you can contact this website and urge them to cancel this picture.

#812096 - 03/19/13 04:26 PM Re: Crochet pattern stolen [Re: Rebecca G.]
MollyBee Offline

I'm truly sorry to hear your pattern was stolen that you worked so hard on. But as Amoonsinger noted; Some advanced crocheters can duplicate a pattern by looking at it. I have done this many times when a friend had a crocheted item but not the pattern. I do feel badly for you; as it would be most frustrating after all your hard work and time spent.

Moderator:  Melissa - Crochet Editor 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
What Beer Judges Know That You May Not
by Carolyn-Beer & Brewing Editor
Beer & Brewing
1 second ago
2014 Great American Beer Festival Stats
by Carolyn-Beer & Brewing Editor
Beer & Brewing
12 minutes 27 seconds ago
Boston Bruins afghan pattern to crochet
by Healthierheart
Crochet
31 minutes 33 seconds ago
New game - Quote it
by Dorcy
Creativity
Today at 04:36 AM
Music ABC game
by "Rosie"
Pop Music
Today at 04:08 AM
Treasure your Body - Whatever its Shape
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Low Carb
Yesterday at 09:08 PM
B.K.S. Iyengar Brought Life to Yoga
by Terri - Exercise/Yoga Editor
Yoga
Yesterday at 08:57 PM
Word From Last Letter Game
by Jana - Creativity Editor
Contests & Sweepstakes
Yesterday at 05:21 PM
Shopping at Walmart Game
Home Finance
Yesterday at 05:20 PM
Replace one word (Music Titles)
Comedy Movies
Yesterday at 05:19 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
2 registered (Carolyn-Beer & Brewing Editor, 1 invisible), 69 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.