Next Thread
Print Thread
#799192 01/05/13 10:29 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Born in 1835 in Dunfermline, Andrew Carnegie spent much of his life in America where he became one of the richest men in the world, donating more money to good causes than most people would ever earn.

Andrew Carnegie

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
We visited Andrew Carnegie's birthplace long ago on a visit to Scotland, but I have reminders of him nearer to home. I divide my time between two towns, one in England and one in Wales. One thing they have in common (besides me) is Carnegie libraries.

I've always felt grateful to Carnegie for the libraries and his dedication to education. A pity that these days so many libraries are being closed.

In the spirit of Carnegie, I'm glad to report that the old Carnegie library in my Welsh town has recently been closed. Because they've moved it to more spacious premises and the town has a wonderful new library!

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Mona that's brilliant news about the Welsh Carnegie library. I started using a local library recently and was surprised at how automated it had become - your computerised library card can do most things, from booking a computer to issuing books. The last library I used was in the Highlands of Scotland and that one still had people doing a lot of the tasks you now do yourself, though that one was in danger of closure due to cuts.

Carnegie's attitude to libraries somehow echoes his attitude to wealth; books in libraries can be shared, used by many, rather than sitting gathering dust on a shelf. Wealth can be used to fund dreams and change lives through education and charitable giving, rather than accumulating until the owner dies without being spent or invested.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.