Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
debbiebbb, Anne_0921, Ebnul Karim Benzima, Morr27, purat
56589 Registered Users
Forum Stats
56589 Members
417 Forums
111494 Topics
786333 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Beetlemess 273
Nancy Roussy 173
Rosie 66 155
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 130
loongdragon 113
James Andrew 109
Lestie4containergardens 70
Jilly 69
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 69
Susan - Meditation Editor 52
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#798582 - 01/01/13 06:10 PM Game - bread and cake phrases...
Lestie - ContainerGardens Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Loc: Johannesburg South Africa
Hello Connie and everyone,

I came across this list the other day and thought it would fit on your forum well enough to ask for other entries ... hope you think so too!

1. “Bread and butter” refers to the basics in life.
2. “Bread and water” refers to the bare minimum of food and drink, based on the traditional punitive prison diet.
3. “The greatest thing since sliced bread” is something considered revolutionary and indispensable.
4. “Half a loaf is better than none” means that one shouldn’t complain about not having everything, because it is better to have something than nothing.
5. “Half baked” means “incomplete” or “not thoroughly planned or conceived.”
6. To know “which side the bread is buttered on” is to recognise what is advantageous.
7. To “sell like hotcakes” is to be very successful at selling something.
8. To “separate the wheat from the chaff” is to distinguish what is useful or valuable from what is not.
9. Something that is “as flat as a pancake” is extremely flat.
10. Something “as warm as toast” is very warm and comforting.
11. To “have your cake and eat it too” is to have or accomplish something more than one way; the phrase often refers to an unrealistic expectation.
12. Something “as easy as pie” is very simple to do or understand.
13–14. To “have a finger in the pie” is to be involved, but to “have fingers in too many pies” is to be committed in too many endeavours, thus reducing one’s efficacy.
15. “Icing on the cake” or "Cherry on top" is an additional benefit.
16. An activity that is “like taking candy from a baby” is very easy.
17. Something that is “pie in the sky” is unrealistic.
18. Something that is “a piece of cake” is extraordinarily easy.
19. To get “a piece of the pie” is to be among those who earn an advantage or reward.
20. To “sugarcoat” something is to put it into a deceptively or inaccurately positive light.
21. Something that “takes the cake” is significantly better or worse than other comparable things; the phrase often refers to an action or comment that is audaciously irritating.
22. “That’s the way the cookie crumbles” means that what is referred to is an expected or typical outcome.
23. Someone or something “as nutty as a fruitcake” is crazy or ridiculous.
24. Something “as slow as molasses” or "walking through syrup" is very slow or making very slow progress.
25. Something “as sweet as honey” is very appealing.

Cheers now

Edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens (01/01/13 06:15 PM)

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.

Add Game - bread and cake phrases... to Twitter Add Game - bread and cake phrases... to Facebook Add Game - bread and cake phrases... to MySpace Add Game - bread and cake phrases... to Del.icio.us Digg Game - bread and cake phrases... Add Game - bread and cake phrases... to Yahoo My Web Add Game - bread and cake phrases... to Google Bookmarks Add Game - bread and cake phrases... to Stumbleupon Add Game - bread and cake phrases... to Reddit
#798583 - 01/01/13 06:16 PM Re: Game - bread and cake phrases... [Re: Lestie - ContainerGardens]
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger

Loc: Kansas USA
I love it Lestie! Does anybody else have other sayings?
Avatar: There is Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

Here is a link to my EBook.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Add Re: Game - bread and cake phrases... to Twitter Add Re: Game - bread and cake phrases... to Facebook Add Re: Game - bread and cake phrases... to MySpace Add Re: Game - bread and cake phrases... to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Game - bread and cake phrases... Add Re: Game - bread and cake phrases... to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Game - bread and cake phrases... to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Game - bread and cake phrases... to Stumbleupon Add Re: Game - bread and cake phrases... to Reddit
#798590 - 01/01/13 08:47 PM Re: Game - bread and cake phrases... [Re: Lestie - ContainerGardens]
Les Ex-BellaOnline Ed. Offline
Chipmunk

Loc: Michoacan, Mexico
"Man cannot live by bread alone" meaning in addition to food for sustenance one has other essential needs and can obtain them from such things as posting/lurking on forums, viewing soap operas and watching paint dry.

"Oh my! It's fruitcake weather!" meaning Truman Capote in "A Christmas Memory" displayed his desire for fruitcakes along with a reverence for FDR.

"Little girls have pretty curls but I like Oreos" meaning the appreciation of that Nabisco cookie starts at an early age and transcends one's sexual orientation.

He's a couple sandwiches short of a picnic" meaning the path to mental health is dictated by how many of Connie's recipes one tries out.

Edited by Les-Mexico (01/01/13 09:12 PM)

Add Re: Game - bread and cake phrases... to Twitter Add Re: Game - bread and cake phrases... to Facebook Add Re: Game - bread and cake phrases... to MySpace Add Re: Game - bread and cake phrases... to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Game - bread and cake phrases... Add Re: Game - bread and cake phrases... to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Game - bread and cake phrases... to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Game - bread and cake phrases... to Stumbleupon Add Re: Game - bread and cake phrases... to Reddit
#798741 - 01/02/13 02:58 PM Re: Game - bread and cake phrases... [Re: Lestie - ContainerGardens]
Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant

"Let them eat cake."

#798765 - 01/02/13 03:16 PM Re: Game - bread and cake phrases... [Re: Lestie - ContainerGardens]

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger

Cake Eaters-the name that our blue collar school students called students from the affluent high school.

#798806 - 01/02/13 09:21 PM Re: Game - bread and cake phrases... [Re: Lestie - ContainerGardens]
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Oh Les, I love your last comment and what a compliment it is to Connie - I for one cannot keep up with all her super ideas and eat vicariously as well as in real time or my bathroom scale would just plain 'crumble!"

I have now started a Connie-notebook where I jot down things to try and remember and tips and things I pick up or mixes of flavours and tastes ... or I would just spend too much time on this forum looking for them!

Thanks Connie.

Does anyone know what "It's a cake walk" means or where this saying comes from. My question mark from my computer keyboard is still AWOL!

Cheers now

Edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens (01/02/13 09:31 PM)

Container Gardening Site

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.

#798822 - 01/03/13 12:29 AM Re: Game - bread and cake phrases... [Re: Lestie - ContainerGardens]

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger

You guys are both too, too kind. I hope that the new year is filled with creativity and all things good for both of you.

#798827 - 01/03/13 01:18 AM Re: Game - bread and cake phrases... [Re: Lestie - ContainerGardens]
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

... the the most obvious one seems to be missing!

Let's place it in Mexico for fun but there has to be a rose between two thorns in a container being sandwiched somehow. Or tortilla'ed. Or wrapped! Or opened or served on rye or buns or or or.

Hey Les, do get some daily bread to give you strength to watch the paint now y'hear. Smile now!

Cheers chortling and chuckling from

Chelesta

Container Gardening Site

Moderator:  Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
What My Spirituality Is!
by loongdragon
Spirituality
Today at 06:08 AM
Breaking Up by Ignoring Someone
by Anne_0921
Dating
Today at 04:49 AM
International Dark Sky Week - Save the Night!
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 03:14 AM
How do i make my skin soft,clear and fair?
by kiwistech
Cosmetics
Today at 02:09 AM
Gardening Bumper Stickers
by Lestie4containergardens
Container Gardening
Today at 01:37 AM
Yoga Relieves Back Pain
by Terri - Exercise/Yoga Editor
Yoga
Yesterday at 11:51 PM
The Way of the Bodhisattva
by Lisa - Buddhism
Buddhism
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
What is your stress level today?
by Nancy Roussy
Stress Management
Yesterday at 11:14 PM
The Bar Method a Body Sculpting Workout
by Terri - Exercise/Yoga Editor
Exercise
Yesterday at 11:06 PM
The Haunting of Chretien Point
by ParanormalHost
Paranormal
Yesterday at 10:46 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
2 registered (Izeigo, Lynne - ChristianLiving), 79 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.