Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
bertinglebra, ostabest, spoodle22, KaylaWa, Marie Stroman
57465 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57466 Members
417 Forums
113609 Topics
806773 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 07:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 416
Nancy Roussy 230
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 108
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 64
Jana - Creativity Editor 60
Mona - Astronomy 59
Beetlemess 49
Sandra Investing/HFinance 48
Susan - Meditation Editor 39
mary-tea1 18
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#798042 - 12/27/12 10:15 AM Top Astronomy Stories 2012
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: United Kingdom

What were the big astronomy stories of the year 2012? Here is my choice of the top ten plus a non-story. What do you think?

Top Astronomy Stories 2012

http://www.bellaonline.com/newsletter/astronomy

Add Top Astronomy Stories 2012 to Twitter Add Top Astronomy Stories 2012 to Facebook Add Top Astronomy Stories 2012 to MySpace Add Top Astronomy Stories 2012 to Del.icio.us Digg Top Astronomy Stories 2012 Add Top Astronomy Stories 2012 to Yahoo My Web Add Top Astronomy Stories 2012 to Google Bookmarks Add Top Astronomy Stories 2012 to Stumbleupon Add Top Astronomy Stories 2012 to Reddit
#798577 - 01/01/13 10:29 AM Re: Top Astronomy Stories 2012 [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Someone has suggested that the SpaceX taking cargo to the Space Station (and also returning materials to Earth) was one of the top stories of 2012.

I agree that it's a big story. The Space Shuttle is no more, and the USA has no replacement yet. So it has all been down to the Russian Soyuz to transport the astronauts and most of the supplies.

In 2011, for the first time, the Japanese Kounotori 2 H-2 Transfer Vehicle took supplies to the ISS, another useful development. But SpaceX is obviously working towards being able to carry people as well as cargo.

I didn't include SpaceX in my list because I didn't see it as an astronomy story. (Maybe we need a Space editor?)

Add Re: Top Astronomy Stories 2012 to Twitter Add Re: Top Astronomy Stories 2012 to Facebook Add Re: Top Astronomy Stories 2012 to MySpace Add Re: Top Astronomy Stories 2012 to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Top Astronomy Stories 2012 Add Re: Top Astronomy Stories 2012 to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Top Astronomy Stories 2012 to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Top Astronomy Stories 2012 to Stumbleupon Add Re: Top Astronomy Stories 2012 to Reddit
#798977 - 01/03/13 11:39 AM Re: Top Astronomy Stories 2012 [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

I've had another response to my question about what was big in astronomy in 2012. It was: the footage of aurorae from space. This wasn't one particular event, but it has made for some pretty images and fabulous videos. Judge for yourself:

Aurorae seen from the Space Station

I've only ever seen an aurora looking up. It must be strange looking down on them!

Add Re: Top Astronomy Stories 2012 to Twitter Add Re: Top Astronomy Stories 2012 to Facebook Add Re: Top Astronomy Stories 2012 to MySpace Add Re: Top Astronomy Stories 2012 to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Top Astronomy Stories 2012 Add Re: Top Astronomy Stories 2012 to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Top Astronomy Stories 2012 to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Top Astronomy Stories 2012 to Stumbleupon Add Re: Top Astronomy Stories 2012 to Reddit
#799486 - 01/07/13 11:23 AM Re: Top Astronomy Stories 2012 [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Two people were quite definite that the discovery of the Higgs particle at CERN was a major story.

I had decided not to put that one in on the grounds that it was a particle physics discovery, not an astronomy one. But, in fact, particle physics and cosmology come together at the beginning of the universe. The Higgs field is what gives particles mass, so the fact that we even exist is related to this particle.

There was a forum discussion about this in July 2012, What is a Higgs boson? Explained with zombies - it includes a link to an explanation of the Higgs particle with zombies. Amusing and helpful.

Moderator:  Mona - Astronomy 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Lisa's Daily 10pm EST / 8pm MST Meditation
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Meditation
Today at 05:46 PM
Winter Solstice Mused Literary Review is LIVE
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Poetry
Today at 03:42 PM
Earth from Space - beautiful images
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 02:54 PM
What did you SPEND money on today?
by Nancy Roussy
Frugal Living
Today at 12:18 PM
Winter Solstice in Ireland
by Bee - IrishCulture
Irish Culture
Today at 09:58 AM
While you Were Sleeping Movie Review
by Mystic - Romance Movies
Romance Movies
Today at 09:23 AM
Where are you and how is the weather?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
Today at 08:37 AM
What will you do today?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
Today at 08:36 AM
2014 Eating Log
by Nancy Roussy
Low Carb
Today at 08:33 AM
What did you dream about last night?
by Nancy Roussy
Dreams
Today at 08:30 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.