Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Ian -

That is great that that answer works for you!

I think several of the posters here are feeling that there are some areas of their life they want to share, and others they do not want to share. A "when" answer opens up the possibility that they could be asked about an area they don't wish to share.

So by answering with the things they do that they enjoy sharing, they take control of the direction of the conversation, and guide it in a direction they enjoy smile.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I think the "What do you do" question is really unwritten code for "how do you make a living?"

I've tried things like "go camping and hiking" and people don't accept that. They want to actually know what I do to make monies. I've had people dog me for real answers. And that really isn't anyone's business, or something I enjoy talking about.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
My response to that is to talk about wealth magick and the interconnectedness of all things in the style of "Dr, Kananga" in the James Bond film 'Live and Let Die". It's great fun watching the questioners' eyes glaze over! smile

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Well whenever I get asked this question, I immediately answer that I'm in sales for AT&T which is true however it's funny how this is immediately an "accepted" answer for people yet it is not something that brings me joy. I can't stand the 9-5 hustle and bustle that comes with my "job".

I am just getting to a point in my life where I'm doing the things necessary to break from that and work with something that I"m passionate about.

So for now my answer is that I work for AT&T, I go to school (working on a Legal Studies degree) and I'm raising 4 kids.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Most people I run into are quite happy to have the "what you like to do with your time" response to the question. I think especially with the rough economy, that forcing someone into a situation where they have to say "I was laid off and nobody will hire me" is quite poor manners. So far I haven't run into someone who is like that. But I can certainly also imagine that some people ARE like that. Even more than that, maybe in certain circles those people then attract other like-minded people.

So it absolutely could be that the groups I hang out with don't ask questions like this - and that in other groups it is all they talk about.

For example if I went to my yoga class and we asked each other what we do, we would talk about gardening and birding and such. It would be a question about the person as a human being and their interests.

But maybe, just to stereotype for a minute, if I went to a banking convention, they would all be talking about their job and promotion path and so on.

So then that's a great question. What if you get cornered by someone who is income-earning-path obsessed? What if that is what they want to know and they are tenacious-like-bulldog?

For me, I would see this as an entertaining personal challenge, because my way of viewing the world is so different than theirs. I would take it on as a fun mission to see if I could tweak their view of the world, even slightly. So I would become even more creative in ways to show them that their ranking system was inapplicable to me, and that they'd have to put me into an "other" category.

My hope would be that if they ran into this a few times they might start to realize that the "other" category was one that people *could* belong to.

Just like Ian said - if they started to press me about money, I'd go off on a tangent about how a life without a focus on money is blissful and serene smile.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
M
M
I feel happy to make others happy. I help peoples who have any issues with clutter and help to free yourself from what is keeping you from living the best life possible. I love to do this,and i feel very happier when anyone asked me what do you do.

J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Hi Ian,

Re: What Do You Do ?

I think that "When"? is a great answer. After all, as you say, people have so many facets to their life (work, social, business, etc).

Joy

O
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
O
In fact, I'm uncomfortabe with my response. But I'm young, I will give a comfortable response in the future.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello Everyone,

OH MY! I have only just found this thread and what an interesting read it has been. I have a lot to say of course because "What do I do" is I Talk a lot - and love it. But to start, I thought I would just say just two things.

There is a quote attributed to Abe Lincoln which is

"Whatever you do - be a good one."

I have made this my personal motto for the year 2013.

And second, Jill said in one of her posts way back somewhere

"Okay, start your engines Ladies!"

I love that saying, took it to heart immediately (THANKS Jilly)and whenever I am feeling blue I think of it and say to myself "Hey Lestie, start your engine NOW!"

"The Universe favours action" is another favourite personal exhortation.

I am thrilled to be in such company and say thanks to you all.
Best

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
Omily #801755 01/20/13 10:53 AM
J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By: Omily
Re: What Do You Do ?

In fact, I'm uncomfortabe with my response. But I'm young, I will give a comfortable response in the future.

Hi Omily, feeling comfortable with your response generally correlates with maturity. However, if you know what the other person is really asking, it's much easier to answer in the way I mention in the article above. (JOY)

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.