Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
I have not double tipped, but I do take offense at restaurants that put their own gratuity on the bill. That is presumptious and rude, and not restaurants that I would frequent again. Restaurants make a profit just on the food as it is. The person being served should have the call on how much to tip or whether to tip at all, depending on the service.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
It's funny, the free samples idea. I went to my local grocer yesterday and I was also hungry. I looked around and had a tiny three course meal for free - there were free samples of some chicken salad at the deli, free cantalope in the produce section, and free pineapple upside down cake in the bakery area. I probably could have tasted some deli cheeses/meats but wasn't up to asking.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
That's neat, Jilly. When my boyfriend and I used to go to the grocery store, especially to Sam's Club, he'd always check out the free samples. I never had the urge to do that.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Jilly, so true... Some stores such as Sam's, Wegmans even Target have the freebie food sample tables. You only have to listen to a 2 second talk about what it is, where it is in the store, would you like a coupon and there you go.

I was starved when I went into a super target a couple of weeks ago and the sample ladies were out. They let me sample each flavor of tea and there was a delicious ham and cheese on some sort of cracker. It was so good and filling!

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello all and Connie,

That is nice especially when there is a team that works together, but more often than not there is just a them and us situation, we in front and you in the back supporting us in the front.

Here is SA things are changing and have changed for many reasons, but there was a time when identifying an employee of the month for singling out for an extra bonus and accolade or certificate etc was a very unusual concept amongst the 'black' cultures.

After all, how can I get the prize for unloading the sacks off the truck? There would be no truck there but for the driver, or the people who grew what was in the sacks, or made the sacks or packed the sacks or or or and so on. In many rural places here in SA the employee of the month can only work in teams. Hope these few words put across the point I am wanting to make and it does make a lot of sense. No man is an island!

Back to tipping, I wonder when tipping becomes bribing? Has anyone thought about that connection - given that there is one? Do we have an ETHICS forum?

Cheers now

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Lestie, you brought up some extremely valid points which are part of the reason we North americans need to take a good hard look at the tipping issue. The wonderful melange of cultures and various socioeconomic situations we have limit that way we pay tipping situations into such an odd mess that needs to be changed.

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
It might well be a form of bribing. More of a 'greasing the wheels' kind of bribery, one that is socially accepted and expected.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I am spending some time at a used bookstore coffeeshop. I am not tipping. I've been buying some teas and pastries now and then to justify my table, and even a few used books, but I really don't think I should tip someone when I stand at a counter and they hand me something.

Right? Wrong?

D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Right, Jilly. No tipping needed when you stand at a counter to order and pick up your food. Buying something while in an establishment like that is compensation enough.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
P
P
One thing some of you seem to not know is that the server usually has to pay taxes on a percentage of their receipts, it used to be 8%. So whether you tip or not, the government assumes that they made 8% of the sale price as a tip and they must pay taxes on it even if you gave them nothing. So they can actually end up having to pay to serve you if you're a habitual non tipper.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.