Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Have you read any books which feature African American heroines as a lead character? It seems like so many stories feature white males as the key character. A portion have white females. But to find books outside that area can be quite challenging.

Tara from the Sookie Stackhouse series comes to mind, but she's of course a side character, and a bit stereotypical.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
D
I just started a book by Isabel Allende (Chilean or Peruvian), called Island Beneath the Sea, and the lead character is an African American heroine and slave. Have not finished it yet, but Allende is a great writer. A bunch of other stories come to mind, but for some reason my mind is a blank. But there are a lot out there, I know.

I
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I
If the books we're inquiring about include those written by African American authors, then yes there are quite a few books by Toni Morrison and Donna Hill which feature African American heroines as lead characters. Apart from these (and a few others by other Black authors), I am yet to come across any other works with an African American female lead.

Ije Yvonne, Editor
Literary Fiction
Current Events
Hi All,

I'm kind of shocked people haven't seen all the thousands or millions of books written with black female leads by black authors! Wow. I mean I couldn't even name all of the authors who write these types of books. The majority of black authors write black female leads. There are TONS, tons of writers who write AA characters. I for instance write crime and mystery with an interracial romance subplot and in my current series, my lead female detective is black.

There are so many I couldn't possibly name them all but here are some. Also ReShonda Tate Billingsly and Victoria Christopher Murray are two of the biggest sellers of black fiction today! LOL!

Deatri-King Bey
Angelia Vernon Menchen
Shelia Goss
Charisma Knight
Beverly Johnson
Elissa Gabrielle
Roslyn Hardy Holcomb
ReShonda Tate Billingsley
Victoria Christopher Murray
Pamela Samuels-Young
Solomon Jones
Lena Matthews
Connie Briscoe
Trice Hickman
Michelle Monkou
Barbara Grovner
Francine Craft
Vivienne Diane Neal
A'ndrea Wilson

This is just a tiny fraction of black authors who write all types of genres with black lead heroines. The genres differ from romance and paranormal to mystery but these are some of them. There are millions of us out here but you have to look where we are. That's the key. You got to get involved in the black part of the writing industry to see all of the fabulous black authors and learn about the variety of our work. The typical black author does not get the exposure or promo that Hill and Morrison get. If you go by mainstream media or the NYT list then you will only see a few black authors up there and they do not even come close to representing how much of us are there. If a reader isn't reading black books or keeping up with the black literary community regularly than I can understand how they don't know about all the wonderful black authors out there. There are TONS of more blacks in writing that have a lot to offer so I do hope people search others out.

Hope I helped because this is what I am here for!

Best Wishes!

Last edited by Stacy- AA Lit Editor; 12/31/12 09:13 AM.

Stacy-Deanne
African-American Lit

Moderated by  Nina-AALit 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.