Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
T
I am currently researching my family tree and came across a direct line ancestor - John Stubbs born in 1490! Never thought the family name would go back that far.

What discoveries have you made?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Clare, You're a lucky duck. I'm sort of stuck at 1750 with a direct ancestor but some clues take me to 1687 to investigate.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
You both are lucky to go back that far. I've got a couple lines like that, others that I think I do, but not truly documented to prove it yet. Just based on what "others" have posted.

Hope to spend the upcoming year spending more time on my personal research.

Ebook: Getting Started in Genealogy

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
S
S
just getting started, hope this year to devote time to my search. need help to get started,and best sources to contact first. joann stollenmaier

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hi Joann!

Best place for records is ancestry.com (fee based), but Familysearch.org is FREE and has lots of documents. Also, the county your family lives in may have an online county genealogical site. Feel free to email me if you have a particular thing you are looking for and I can be of help. I am also on Facebook too if you are there. Tina Sansone

Good Luck. It is exciting to start finding your ancestors. It was for me! Lots of articles I have written give great websites that can help you too.

Last edited by GtownmaGenealogy; 12/30/12 12:52 PM.

Ebook: Getting Started in Genealogy

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
G
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
G
This thread deserves to be revived! The last poster mentioned Ancestry.com. That organisation took over the free-site Rootsweb.com a few years back, and the latter is still available without a fee. [u]I think![/u] (Maybe I was grandfathered in.)

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Gordon, Yes, ancestry.com did take over the housing of Rootsweb. It is still free but not utilized like it once was. Items posted on Ancestry's forum are gatewayed to the Rootsweb mail list. Ancestry also purchased Genealogy.com. Today it is available to search but cannot be updated.

Ancestry.com is the best known dataabase for records. It owns Fold3.com and Newspapers.com. Ancestry recently partnered with FamilySearch.org. FamilySearch is great in that it provides courthouse records such as digitized deeds or probate records. When a record appears for a census, however, you are directed to a partner site, Ancestry.com.

Another newspaper site is GenealogyBank.com. It too is a subscription site. It provides different newspaper sources than the Newspapers.com site.

For a couple of years I have subscribed to World Vital Records. I had planned to discontinue that this year but missed canceling my subscription. World Vital Records is now owned by MyHeritage.com I've been on the fence about taking out a subscription and trying this out. Had I not renewed the World Vital Records I might have tried it. MyHeritage is similar to Ancestry in that you have trees, hints, but you do verify others trees rather than grafting the trees onto your own tree like you do with ancestry. (I think.)

FindMyPast, Archives.com are other sites to try.

Gordon, which sites, do you use or are you strictly a Rootsweb user?

G
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
G
I'm pretty much retired from the scene, now. My niece in Australia does what I used to do. What I've found good about Rootsweb is that every once in a while I get an email in response to a question I posted ten years or so ago! That's always a real thrill. (I would put a paragraph here, Angie, but for some reason my computer won't let me do that on this bella site. So, you'll have to pretend!) PARA. I have my database on the original FTM program (Family Tree Maker). And, I have to say, I've found most of the ancestors I want; all I can do now is fill in the details of their lives. I'm a history buff, so general research can tell me a lot about how they lived. My most interesting people were British occupiers of India in the 1800s and 1900s - Army Officers and Civil Service clerks. There is one chap in particular I'd love to get details of; he was an Attorney to the East India Company - presumably independent of the Company - in the early 1800s. Perhaps he was a trafficker of opium from Calcutta to China; they did that sort of thing in those days. I'd give anything to know whether he was or not!

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
So far, I've learned that my grandmother and great grandmother on my dad's side were very free spirited. Back then they were described as totally nuts. I think some of it was related to intense mood swings due to treated (or treated badly) cases of diabetes.

Former Chocolate Editor. Also known as Daisybun.
G
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
G
My great family discovery - well, discovered by my niece in Australia, actually - was that one of my great-great-grandfathers was killed with an axe as he lay drunk outside his home in Queensland by - in all probability - one of his sons. He was well known to have been a wife-beater - that came out at the inquest - so he had it coming. This thread has the potential to be wonderfully interesting; I hope Bella members will take full advantage!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GtownmaGenealogy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.