Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

In my post #855210,I wrote about the 5 contemplations .
In the first, contemplation of the body,first point mentionned is Mindfulness of breathing.What follows is part of that text.
n.b. when :he: is mentionned the author refers to a monk ,bhikkhu,meditator.

Thus he lives contemplating the body in the body internally,or he lives contemplting the body in the body,internally and externally.He lives contemplating origination in the body,or he lives contemplating origination-and-dissolution factors in the body.Or his Mindfulness is established with the thought::the body exists: to the extent necessary just for Knowledge and
Mindfulness,and he lived detached ,and to naught in the world.Thus also,monks,a monk lives contemplating the body in the body.

TNH

loong
Messenger.

p.s. if one has a chance read ;OLD AGE; in the Dhammapada.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

The text I wrote in # 855619 reminds me very much of Impermance,subject not often spoken enough .
Will write a post on It soon.

loong
Mahayana Buddhist

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

I will list the various subject in the Contemplation of the body:
Mindfulness breathing ,we saw partly in the last post
The Postures of the body
Mindfulness with Clear Comprehension
The Reflection of the Repulsiveness of the body
The Reflection on the Material Elements
The Nine Cemetery Contemplation

The last Contemplation might seem odd to a non practitioner.
Buddha described the body as just a carrier filled with blood,water
feces,bones meat.However body and mind go together.

Loong
Mahayana Buddhist

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

Some people have said that if you look at reality with the eyes of a Buddhist,you become pessimistic.But in terms of either pessimism or optimism oversimplifies the truth.The problem is to see reality as it is.A pessimistic attitude can never create the calm and
serene smile that blossoms on the lips of the Bodhisattvas and all others who attain the Way.

Loong's comment:I have not yet attained the Way,far from it,
However,I was a person t?hat nobody wanted to talk to.
Today ,I carry the half smile described by Thigh Nhat Hanh,
And been told a few times that ,I glow.,this said with humility.

Loong
😂

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Yes, I have heard this too Loong, about Buddhism seeming pessimistic, because of the first Noble truth that life is suffering. I think it is partly because this word 'suffering' is perhaps not a good translation of dukkha, the original word. People think Buddhism is all about focusing on our suffering, and negating the positive or pleasurable experiences in life. But as you know, it's not that at all. The point really is that we usually distract ourselves with so many forms of pain and pleasure, and live at a level in which we never see beyond them, and so whenever we experience pain, or pleasure ceases, we are unhappy. When we live in the dharma, in the flow, we don't give up pleasure or good things - we in fact can experience them even more deeply, because we are no longer struck with fear at the thought of them ending.

Last edited by Lisa - Buddhism; 02/11/14 02:02 PM.

Lisa Erickson, Buddhism Editor
Buddhism Site
Teaching and Private Session Website: Enlightened Energetics
Blog: Mommy Mystic
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Dear Teacher,

I really love,what you wrote:experience them even more deeply, because we are no longer struck with fear at the thought of them ending.

loong

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

It is said that obsessions are not necessarely good.

I have developped one lately:Reminding myself to do everything

with a slow pace as mentionned by Master Thich Nhat Hanh.

By doing this, one trains himself in being mindfull.

Try it ,you will love it,and as a bonus you will appreciate what

you are doing at that instant.

loong
mahayana Buddhist

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
Text by Which Nhat Hanh,
I have spoken about the contemplation or interdependence.Of
course all the methods in the search for truth should be looked on as means rather than as ends in themselves or as absolute truth.
The meditation on interdependence is intended to remove the false barriers of discrimination so that one can enter into the Universal harmony of life.It is not intended to produce a philosophical
system,a philosophy Of interdependence.Herman Hesse,in his movel
Siddhartha,did not yet see this. And so his Siddhartha speaks about the philosophy of interdependence in words which strikes us as somewhat naive.The author offers a picture of interdependence in which everything is interrelated,a system in which no fault can be found:everything must fit into the foolproof system of mutual dependence,a system in which one cannot consider the problem of
liberation in this world.

The author goes on to explain that the way Herman Hesse ,sees
The interdependence is in a way childish and gives 3reasons to see it differently.
To me interdependence ,is seen as Oneness.I must be naive ,because ,I to believe in Herman Hesse's way of seeing Interdependence.
What is great about Buddhism,is the non-existence of dogmas.
To simple me ,everything and everyone good or bad are but One,
Making this Universe what it is.
I am not sure that my Teacher would be in agreement with me.

Loong
With freedom of choice.

L

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
This is a beautiful text,Mind...….blowing:-)
There is a race of human beings who are capable of generating the energy of Mindfulness all day.(NOT MY CASE ,I dream a lot )
And we belong to that race,conscious homosapians." We all belong to the family of the Buddha,because we are able to generate the energy
of Mindfulness that inhabits us 24 hours a day.
Buddhas are those creatures that live Mindfully 24/7.
In the beginning ,we become part-time Buddhas,and as we continue to practice WE BECOME FULL TIME BUDDHAS.We learn not to discriminate because we understand that everyone has the SEED of Buddha-Nature.
Every non-Buddha has the Buddha-nature.That is why we are free from racial discrimination.And our practice to help the Buddha nature manifest in as many people as possible
,because Collective awakening is the only thing that can bring us out of this present difficult situation.

This text is a Mahayana text,written by Master Thich Nhat Hanh

I took the liberty to do some commenting during my posting.

Loong
Mahayana Buddhist.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

Sitting in Mindfulness, both our bodies and minds can be at peace and totally relaxed.But this state of peace and relaxation differs fundamentally from the lazy,semiconscious state of Mind that one gets while resting and dozing.Sitting in such lazy semis consciousness,far from being Mindfulness,is like sitting in a dark cave.In Mindfulness one is not restful and happy,but alert and awake.Meditation is not an evasion: it is a serene encounter with reality.The person who practices mindfulness should be no less awake than a driver of a car; if the practitioner is not awake he will be possessed by dispersion and forgetfulness,just as a drowsy driver is likely to cause a grave accident.Be awake as a person walking on high stilts.
TNH

Loong,s comment:First,I will not doubt the author's words.
However ,I have read so often ,that a monk,
Should some times isolate himself ,to be more capable of meditating
Mindfully.I understand the Master,s words,but also there is nothing wrong in just resting ,if it is what ,one is looking for.
So there is Meditation and Restfulness,to me both very important in today,s world.
Loong
Buddhist

Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Moderated by  Lisa - Buddhism 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.