#792847 11/15/12 01:37 PM
K
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
K
This article is all about sketches. What are they? Why are they beneficial? What's so much fun about them? If you have never tried one, I challenge you to try!

Sketches

Last edited by Kathleen - Scrapbooking; 11/28/12 05:03 PM.

Kathleen Rensel
Scrapbooking
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Kathleen

Well, I guess I haven't been paying much attention to things on the Scrapbooking thread. Just read your article about sketches.

I'm not a big fan of sketches. At least I don't follow any of the sketches found in magazines or books (I've never looked online). I don't even draw out my own sketches. I suppose I do it informally in my head. I get an idea of the base color and the complimentary colors of cardstock, then I grab a few pieces of patterned papers and figure out a format. I like to do 2-page spreads so that when I open the scrapbook at any point, the two facing pages have the same theme & colors & design.

I've seen sketches in the Creating Keepsakes magazine and to me they seem so complicated and "busy." I like simpler layouts that show off my pictures! I do use embellishments: die cuts, chipboard, stickers, ribbon, brads, eyelets, etc. so the pages aren't just paper on paper. I like to make my own background papers sometimes with rubber stamps (the vintage look).

I wonder what other people do?? wink

K
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
K
I use sketches quite often. If I read a magazine and see something I like, I often will make a sketch and add the color combos that they use. (Maybe those are my two toughest areas - layout and color.) I also use the books that Close To My Heart has with sketches and cutting diagrams.

I really find that these speed up what I am working on. I get stuck with layout/design and color and I can spend an hour working on that. I'd rather get projects completed! I often feel like I am always scrapbooking, but my time is short. (If only you saw all the projects I want to do from my Pinterest boards! LOL)

Some sketches are more complicated than others. I love the CTMH ones, because they just do the basics, but then you add whatever you want to them! (And, they show a sample or two also.)

Glad to hear from you! Kath*

Kathleen Rensel
Scrapbooking
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Hey, Kathleen!

I think we are having our own private conversation here! I wish some other scrapbooking people would join in with their thoughts.

Years ago, before I became a demonstrator for Stampin' Up!, CTMH published some books with lots & lots of card making samples. I think I bought a couple of those. I thought I would go back to them as resources, ideas and templates. Well, it hasn't happened. I have tons of card making and scrapbooking books but I never seem to go to them for ideas.

Sometimes I get stuck in a rut with colors. Stampin' Up! has a "color coach" that shows different combinations of our cardstock colors. Sometimes it helps me to break out from my usual color choices.

Last edited by SandraJ; 12/28/12 07:08 PM.

Moderated by  M McVaney - Scrapbooking 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.