Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Do you feed wild birds year round?

Violette DeSantis, Writely Applied
Blogs/Social Networking Editor
Small Office/Home Office Editor

Now writing at BloggingTips.com & Soaps.com. For updates visit videsantis.WritelyApplied.com.

"Energy rightly applied and directed will accomplish anything" ~ Nellie Bly
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Yes. In the summer we especially love feeding the hummingbirds. In the winter its the juncos and chickadees and titmice that we keep fed during the snows.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
J
J
I feed wild birds year-round. Winter is probably my favorite season for backyard birding because of the diversity of birds that visit my feeders. In fact, as I'm typing this I'm watching some Carolina Chickadees enjoying a seed bell on my back deck.

S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Lisa

Titmice???? That's a bird?? Funny name for a bird. laugh

S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
I've just recently started to feed the birds. I don't know a THING about wild birds or what we have locally but I do feed them. I have a suit (how do you spell that?) feeder and a regular seed feeder (the kind that looks like an enclosed gazebo)that I have in the front yard.

There are a lot of hungry birds around here (or else they're too lazy to find food out in the wild). I'm re-filling the seeder about every other day. The suit feeder is double sided so it takes a few more days to eat both sides.

Silly me, since my living room faces the backyard I can't watch the front yard feeders! However, if I put them in the backyard so I can watch the birds........my two cats can also watch them!! I don't think that's very nice to tease the cats and frighten the birds.

The Titmice are lovely little birds, similar to the Chickadee. They are very active and sociable little critters.

I live in a migratory zone, but, have never seen the titmice here. I feed the wild birds year round. In the winter, I make pine cone peanut butter seed feeders. Just spread peanut butter on the pine cone and sprinkle with wild bird seed. I then hang it up on my patio where I can watch the birds when I am here working on my computer.

I also make peanut butter and seed open face sandwiches for the birds. Those I have to nail to the patio railing so the wind won't blow them away. Peanut butter helps the birds produce more oil under their feathers and that keeps them warmer during the winter. smile

Sandra, suet feeders are wonderful for the birds. I have a recipe to make a suet/seed feeder and I cannot find it. I will have to look for that.

Last edited by PhyllisFolkMythAppalachia; 12/21/12 11:34 AM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
I feed the birds all year long, and get different ones in different seasons. Today is the local Audubon Christmas Bird Count. I spent the morning birding along the river through town, got many mallards and Canada geese, not a whole lot more. Now I'm counting the birds at my feeders; Titmice, chickadees, Cardinals, White- and Red-breasted nuthatches, downy woodpecker, goldfinches, juncos, blue jay, Carolina wren,and house sparrows so far. When it gets dark I will go to the compilation meeting/potluck dinner, where we will all submit our lists for this count area and send them off to Audubon. A Christmas tradition among birders that has been going on for over 100 years!

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
I enjoy feeding the birds and have done so for many years. One year I did a weekly winter count for Cornell. We have bluejays, titmice, Carolina chickadees, cardinals, juncos, wrens, nuthatches, some sparrows, house finches, thrushes (not too often), downy woodpeckers, once in a blue moon we have pileated woodpeckers. These are my back yard regulars; if I put a feeder up in the front yard, I sometimes get some different visitors that do not stop in the back yard. Isn't that funny?

Last edited by Angie; 12/22/12 06:38 PM.
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Phyllis

What is a peanut butter sandwich for a bird???
I have heard that peanut butter is good for them. The only pine cones I've seen are the ones at Joann' craft store that smell like cinnamon. I don't think the little birdies will line that! crazy

I was sitting in the dining room this afternoon, watching TV across in the living room and working on crafts. My cat, Cleopatra, came tearing into the dining room and up to the patio doors like a crazed animal. There were some little birds on the backyard grass. Cleo was going wild jumping up on the glass and trying to scratch! Good grief, I thought she was going to terrorize the little birdies....I don't think they noticed. Maybe I'll try putting up a feeder in the backyard now. It'd be nice to see them while I'm at the dining table crafting!

S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
You guys sure seem to know your birds!

I just know I have Birds in the yard! Almost all the birds are fairly small, round and brownish. I do have an occasional bigger, black colored birds. I think they look like crows. Maybe after I've had the feeder out for a while I will attract other birds.

I need to go buy some more suet. They seem to be eating through it pretty well. I have to fill the seed feeder every day now!! I really have to get some more bags of seeds. And I've checked the ground around the feeder, they aren't tossing out seeds they don't like. That happened once several years ago. I got tired of spending good money on seeds just to have half of it rotting (or rooting) on the ground!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.