Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Badnezzahmi, vincischool, christylynn81, minas, puumando
57215 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57215 Members
417 Forums
113010 Topics
801096 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 828
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 470
Beetlemess 305
Nancy Roussy 151
Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 109
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 86
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 76
Sandra Investing/HFinance 45
Susan - Meditation Editor 44
Mona - Astronomy 39
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#797692 - 12/25/12 10:26 AM Stop Devaluing Standard English
Maeve Maddox-School Ref Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

Loc: Fayetteville AR
Language is the vehicle of education and the transmission of culture. Teachers especially need to value their native language and its literature. It is not enough to be a math teacher or P.E. teacher. All teachers must be English teachers.

Do you agree?

Stop Devaluing Standard English

Add Stop Devaluing Standard English to Twitter Add Stop Devaluing Standard English to Facebook Add Stop Devaluing Standard English to MySpace Add Stop Devaluing Standard English to Del.icio.us Digg Stop Devaluing Standard English Add Stop Devaluing Standard English to Yahoo My Web Add Stop Devaluing Standard English to Google Bookmarks Add Stop Devaluing Standard English to Stumbleupon Add Stop Devaluing Standard English to Reddit
#797852 - 12/26/12 06:30 PM Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English [Re: Maeve Maddox-School Ref]
Jeanne Egbosiuba Ukwendu Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra

Loc: Miami, Florida
When I taught high school math, I would require correct spelling and good grammar from my students. When they complained, I told them they would need good spelling and grammar all their lives as well as good math skills.

Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Twitter Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Facebook Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to MySpace Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Stumbleupon Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Reddit
#800511 - 01/14/13 10:36 AM Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English [Re: Maeve Maddox-School Ref]
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

Jeanne,
If teachers of every subject did that, we wouldn't have the literacy problem we have.

Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Twitter Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Facebook Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to MySpace Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Stumbleupon Add Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English to Reddit
#800599 - 01/14/13 04:15 PM Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English [Re: Maeve Maddox-School Ref]
Angie Offline
Zebra

That is very true and once a student transitions to the workplace, their skills or lack of skills become very noticeable.

Our culture is becoming diluted in many ways. The stress that is put on diversity causes segregation in some ways.

#800607 - 01/14/13 05:13 PM Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English [Re: Angie]
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: United Kingdom
I agree completely. If we don't teach students standard English, then we're doing them a great disservice, for they will not have the skills they need for higher education and to compete in the job market.

Insisting that children and young people learn to use standard English appropriately in school is not the same as saying there's something wrong with speaking otherwise at home and with friends. Part of their education must be to learn how to use appropriate language in different contexts.

http://www.bellaonline.com/newsletter/astronomy

#800663 - 01/15/13 09:09 AM Re: Stop Devaluing Standard English [Re: Maeve Maddox-School Ref]
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

Mona,
In all my writing about standard English I make the point that no one dialect is "better" than another. All forms of English are correct to their speakers, but being able to use a standard dialect in addition to one's home dialect is a social and economic asset. As you say, we can choose which form of English we want to use according to context.

Moderator:  Maeve Maddox-School Ref 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
The New Martians - book review *new*
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 06:13 PM
Hell's Kitchen
by Nancy Roussy
Reality TV
Today at 03:42 PM
Hotel Hell
by Nancy Roussy
Reality TV
Today at 03:40 PM
What exercise did you do today?
by Nancy Roussy
Exercise
Today at 03:33 PM
What's So Important about Good Deeds ?
by Cheryll - Bahá'í Life
Baha'i Faith
Today at 01:00 PM
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
Today at 12:48 PM
Sandwich du jour
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Sandwiches
Today at 10:22 AM
Halloween
by Lynne - ChristianLiving
Christian Living
Today at 10:20 AM
100 days of gratitude
by Lynne - ChristianLiving
Christian Living
Today at 10:11 AM
Fall Family Fun with Sandwiches
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Sandwiches
Today at 09:21 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 128 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.