Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
A lot of birds like peanut butter, especially woodpeckers and nuthatches. You can smear gobs of it on any handy tree trunk and they will find it, although some clever people drill large holes in a piece of wood, fill the holes with peanut butter, and hang it up. (I don't give my birds peanut butter, I'd eat it all myself!)
Sandra, you must have bought better quality seeds lately. Avoid the cheap stuff that is full of millet seeds,most of them don't like millet.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Claybird

Yes, I did buy quality seed - I got it at the Wild Birds store. I, at some point, realized the "junk" that you can buy in the big box stores and your local stores is most likely the cheapest seeds one can get. I got some kind of a quality mix with lots of black sunflower seeds and then some smaller seeds. I need to get to Corvallis, next town over, and buy some more! These darn birds are eating me out of house & home!

I don't like peanut butter (allergy) so I don't have it in the house. But, if the birds like it, I think I might try putting some out for them. My allergy is not so bad that I can't butter a branch with it. wink

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Sounds like good seed. I like to add a small bag of songbird mix to the black oil sunflower seed. I put out suet but the birds haven't found it yet. I'll try the peanut butter too.

S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Angie,

Songbird mix? Is that what it's called? I can look for some of that and ask the "experts" at the store too.

If it's not raining tomorrow, I may try to put some peanut butter out for the birdies! This morning when I stood out on the front porch there were a bunch of black-colored birds out front. I think they scared off the smaller brown birds. frown

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
It's raining here today.

My birdseed is in a metal can (kid's toy can or something-recycled) and so I mix the 20# of sunflower seeds with the small bag of a songbird mix.

Did the black birds have a red spot on the underside of their wings? They may be red winged black birds and often pass through as a large group and then move on. I have black birds too - crows..... LOL

S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Angie

I haven't seen those black birds close up. I just see them as they fly away when I open the door.

I went to the store today and bought another 20 pound bag of the Supreme bird seed mix. Those darn birds are going through seed very fast! I also have to put out 2 more blocks of suet. I need to go get some more of that too! (The Wild Bird store is too expensive for the suet.)

Here's a question....Since I'm helping all these cute birdies find a good meal in the middle of winter (it's going down to 30 degrees tonight), why do they have to poop all over my walkway, car, driveway, all around and on the bird feeder, etc? What kind of "thank you" is that??? wink wink wink wink

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Originally Posted By: SandraJ
Angie

Here's a question....Since I'm helping all these cute birdies find a good meal in the middle of winter (it's going down to 30 degrees tonight), why do they have to poop all over my walkway, car, driveway, all around and on the bird feeder, etc? What kind of "thank you" is that??? wink wink wink wink

Like a cat that leaves a dead mouse or creature on the doorstep as a gift, think of all that a bird leaves you as a thank you (I guess). Watching birds is fun.

About the suet, I go to Ollie's and buy my suet there. Ollie's is like a salvage barn. I find the bird stores are too expensive for everything.

L
L
I feed my birds all year round..I love my birds...huggies, Linda

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I feed the birds that nest in the eaves of our house. It would be lovely to have some hummingbird feeders but they need to be placed carefully or they'll end up being cat feeders (lots of neighborhood cats).

When we walk at Disneyland, I always want to feed the birds but it isn't healthy to feed them popcorn and french fries so I try to remember to bring birdseed. But I kept forgetting. One day, I finally brought the seed. SO happy!

Some small sparrows hopped towards me as I sat waiting for the train and I eagerly tossed some to them. They hop, hop, hopped closer. Pecked. Hop, hop, hopped away. Those chubby little sparrows were used to popcorn and french fries. They did not want the bird seed. My daughter thought it was hilarious.

I was disappointed but mostly sad that these birds were accustomed to an unnatural diet and that would affect their health and longevity!

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
I feed mine visitors all year round too.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.