#795917 12/12/12 08:25 PM
K
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
K
Do you need a large space to be a scrapbooker? Here are some answers to that question and some suggestions for how to make your space be what you want and need it to be.

Tips to Save Space

Kathleen Rensel
Scrapbooking
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Kathleen Organizing and space-saving tips are HIGHLY encouraged! I just read your article and I would like to request follow-up articles!! Can you do a series of articles on specific organizational systems for specific products? In otherwords, talk about paper, 12x12 and 8.5x11, and give us some (generic) ideas on how to organize and store. (Magazine holders for the 8.5x11, filing drawers, etc.) How to store & organize all those crazy small embellishments (brads, eyelets, stickers, jewels, etc)!!! How to organize tools: scissors, ruler, paper cutter, ink pads, etc. OK, I think you probably get my idea. Maybe a few threads to talk about these ideas. I certainly hope some of the folks reading these threads have ideas, some people may have even "conquered" their storage issues. :)

K
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
K
Hi SandraJ! One of the most requested things I've seen with scrapbooking IS organizing all the stuff. I'd love to hear from others here about their thoughts - ideas or if they would like to see more articles about organizing.

My own personal thought is to minimize organizing. Remember when it was all about shopping? We shopped but didn't scrap. Sometimes organizing can get like that too. We worry more about organizing than scrapping. It's sorta funny how that can happen.

Thanks for the idea! Kath*

Kathleen Rensel
Scrapbooking
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
I agree that there has to be a balance between actual scrapbooking and organizing one's scrapbook supplies. However, I don't enjoy my scrapbooking or card making if I can't find my supplies when I need them. Sometimes I organize "in progress." In other words, if I'm working on a project and I am looking for those cute felt ornament stickers, I might have to look through a dozen different boxes, drawers, bags, etc. to find them. So, what I might do is take an empty box with me while I'm looking. If I see an embellishment in the same general category (stickers or Christmas or fabric) then I toss it in the box as I go. I label the box and put it on a shelf. I am NO WHERE near sorting through all my stacks & piles of stuff. But I have a start and every little bit helps.

S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Hey! I just thought of some more ideas to save space:

1. Store similar things together (all brads, all ribbons, etc).
2. Have a method to store your ribbons (I have a rack bought at Michaels but I've quickly out grown it!). A friend of mine built her ribbon storage out of the rain gutters cut to length and then attached to the side of her bookcase in craft room! Really cool and holds a lot of ribbon.
3. When you get home from shopping....IMMEDIATELY put your crafty goodies in their proper storage area. Hopefully this will keep you from buying multiples in the future.
4. Make use of the vertical space in your crafting area. Your bookcase is 5 feet tall but your ceiling is 9 feet tall. Do something with that upper space (decorative boxes to store extra supplies, a smaller shelf or two to display competed art or inspiration pieces, etc.).

These are some of my ideas......have I done all of these to full capacity? Absolutely Not! Organizing into my small crafting room is always an ongoing project. I am lucky that I have a small bedroom to call my crafting studio (but I can't even fit all my stuff in it).

K
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
K
Thanks for sharing, Sandra! Maybe I'll do a before/after of my room and everyone can see that organization really IS possible. I take a lot of my stuff to vendor shows and workshops, so my room looks like a tornado hit it most of the time. LOL It really does have organization, even like that though. I can generally tell someone exactly where something is if I need to. (Kinda sad, but it is what it is! LOL)

Kathleen Rensel
Scrapbooking
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Kathleen

It would be great if you would post some pictures of how you have organized....please....show me it CAN be done! :LOL:

Tell me about vendor shows. How do you find them, where are they, what are they, etc? When you say workshops I'm assuming you me ones you give to customers?

Do you participate in the craft fairs around this time of year?

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Kathleen -

That was a great article! I do origami and definitely I have to organize my supplies or it would get crazy. Bob got me four 4x4 grids to stack, which has been an enormous help -

Then I have rubbermaid containers up on the top above-closet shelf with all the pipe cleaners and so on.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Lisa
I can see you've even labeled all the cubbies! You might have to buy some more papers since I see a lot of empty space! wink

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
LOL Sandra I already have hundreds and hundreds of sheets. And this is just the square ones - there's a three-tier shelf this is sitting on which has all my other paper in it.

The stuff that is "low" is the stuff like the confetti paper which is fairly rare and pricey. So I want to keep that separate so it stays pristine and isn't touched or ruffled through when I go through the "normal textured" papers.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M McVaney - Scrapbooking 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.