logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#796203 12/15/12 11:45 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Hello, I'm new to this forum and would like to introduce myself with regard to the topic. I was raised in a Pentcostal family, but was a secret atheist from a young age. About 10 years ago, because of some experiences I became an agnostic. Recently, due to more experiences, I decided to believe in a higher power. It took me awhile, but I've become accustomed lately to calling this higher power God, even though there are a thousand names for the same. I am very thristy to talk about spirituality, soulfulness and mindfulness. I have one person with whom I trust enough to visit with about these subjects, my therapist. While we have a deep soul connection, I spend only one hour a week with him and I'm HUNGRY for more conversation. I am fiercely unwillingly to be procilitized and am very careful with whom I have these discussions. It seems the people in this group have a variety of disciplines and it would be good to share our diverse ideas. I guess my first question is: what is the difference between the spirit and the soul?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Ruby June #796222 12/15/12 08:45 PM
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Welcome, Ruby! It is good to have you here and you brought up a great topic.

Some people use the words spirit and soul interchangeably, and every religion, belief system, or tradition will have its own definitions.

Personally I feel that the soul is where our deepest emotions, affections, and desires lie. It is a companion to our physical body. Our spirit is eternal, pure, and good. The spirit is often a bit harder for us to understand. Spirit describes our higher self, and also the identity of higher beings such as God and angels. Our spirit lies the deepest within us, and when the physical body perishes our spirit will take over as our true self.

I'd love to hear what the rest of you have to say about the "soul" and "spirit". Please share.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
Ruby June #796871 12/19/12 12:50 PM
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I like to compare the physical body, the soul, and the spirit to a grape. This must seem odd to some, but, it works for me.

I see the skin of the grape as our physical body. The pulp of the grape is our soul -- that which holds our intuition and creativity, our thoughts and feelings. The new wine that comes from the pulp is like the spirit, the highest essence of who we truly are.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Ruby June #796873 12/19/12 01:04 PM
The new wine from the pulp of the grape, like the spirit after many life times, eventually becomes aged to perfection.

Spirituality is what I see as one's relationship with their self and their belief system. To grow spiritually for the good of all is my highest task in life and mindfulness is to always remember what my task is.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Ruby June #796975 12/20/12 08:21 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Dear Debbie and Phyllis, Thank you both for your thoughts. They are very helpful. My heart feels excited but also a little scared while soaking in these new ideas. I think it's because as a very young child the concept of hell and that I would be going there because I was bad left a primal scar that is hard to erase. The new desire of wanting to feel anything spiritual are sometimes a little overwhelming. But, I am very happy with the direction it is taking me.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Phyllis.....I like your view of the grape. Thank you for sharing that with us.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Ruby June #797153 12/20/12 02:26 PM
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Ruby.....it can take time to adjust to new beliefs when you have been taught certain things at a young age. As I learn more with time I come to accept other views as my own depending on what feels right to me, what rings true for me.

I personally think hell is of our own making when we leave the physical realm. If we have done bad things we feel badly about it when we leave here, and we have to come to terms with what we have done. If you live your life with the intent to love and to give, you will have nothing to worry about when you leave the physical realm.

Take your time with learning more about yourself and your inner being. It is fascinating to get to know your true self, and there is always the opportunity for discovery and growth along the journey. Meditation is one way you can make that connection with your deepest self.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor

Moderated by  Debbie-SpiritualityEditor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.