Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
gGselle, anton83, faclinic, Vermontwhitewolf, zenwindowsboston
57239 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57239 Members
417 Forums
113106 Topics
801835 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 863
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 520
Beetlemess 220
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 137
Nancy Roussy 118
Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 115
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 70
Jana - Creativity Editor 69
Sandra Investing/HFinance 51
Susan - Meditation Editor 46
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#728083 - 11/29/11 05:45 PM Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS
MargeKnits Offline
Gecko

Loc: USA-CA
LYS=Local yarn shop, in my community we have 5, our county is only 200,000 people strong, each shop is a bit different, but it is fabulous having a choice!
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

Add Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS to Twitter Add Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS to Facebook Add Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS to MySpace Add Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS to Del.icio.us Digg Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS Add Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS to Yahoo My Web Add Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS to Google Bookmarks Add Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS to Stumbleupon Add Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS to Reddit
#728095 - 11/29/11 07:03 PM Re: Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS [Re: MargeKnits]
Jessica-Jean Offline

In Montreal, there are a very few LYS who stayed through the lean years; they have recently (in the last five years or so) been joined by at least a half-dozen newer ones. Nicest of all is that the newer ones seem to be run by accomplished needle-workers who don't mind if the shopper wants high or low end products. Yes, it is fabulous to have a choice of yarn shops.

Add Re: Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS to Twitter Add Re: Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS to Facebook Add Re: Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS to MySpace Add Re: Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS Add Re: Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS to Stumbleupon Add Re: Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS to Reddit
#728102 - 11/29/11 07:35 PM Re: Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS [Re: MargeKnits]
MargeKnits Offline
Gecko

I agree, the yarn shops are much more customer service oriented than the previous ones. Classes, sit and knits, KAL, field trips. Almost like the ones in the novels!
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

Add Re: Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS to Twitter Add Re: Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS to Facebook Add Re: Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS to MySpace Add Re: Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS Add Re: Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS to Stumbleupon Add Re: Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS to Reddit
#728376 - 12/01/11 02:58 PM Re: Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS [Re: MargeKnits]
joanj Offline
Koala

Loc: Texas
We only have one yarn shop in our city, which has a population of over 350,000! This yarn shop has a bad reputation as well because many don't like the owner.

We do live in a large area of north TX so there are other yarn shops if I want to travel quite a ways.

I'd love to see yarn shops do better financially so we don't lose them.

#742458 - 01/24/12 05:11 AM Re: Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS [Re: MargeKnits]
MargeKnits Offline
Gecko

Wow only one, I don't believe there are a lack of knitters in Texas!

...hummm maybe you could start one......

#773810 - 07/18/12 06:24 PM Re: Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS [Re: MargeKnits]
AKLisa- Knitting Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
I have noticed something similar - for years, the LYS was on a back rural road in the owners home. She has since moved into town. Two other stores began carrying yarn, one a scrapbooking store and the other a quilting store. all of these stores offer classes and encourage folks to come and hang out with their knitting.
The scrapbooking one eventually closed up. The quilting store one looks like it is doing well. And the one that moved into town is also next to a coffee shop - you can bring your coffee in to the yarn store while you sit and knit on comfy couches. My community overall is maybe 100K people, so this is wonderful!

#796136 - 12/14/12 05:38 PM Re: Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS [Re: MargeKnits]
Knitpurlpeace Offline

Loc: Idaho, US
We have a fabulous LYS shop in our little town of 25,000. The name is Yarn Underground, their first store was in a tiny basement space. Last summer they moved to a "real" store and they have just the best selection. They do carry local yarn which supports local yarn artisans.
They commissioned me to design gift tags for them. I also carry them in my shop online. Wonderful, funny little tags to attached to your hand knitted garment.

Cheers
Ludmilla

**NOTE: New users are not allowed to add links/urls to their posts!

Edited by Sadhana - Indian Food (02/12/13 07:51 PM)

#796248 - 12/16/12 07:06 AM Re: Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS [Re: MargeKnits]
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko

That is nice that your town has a nice store, and one that supports local artisans. Is the local yarn locally dyed, or locally grown and spun as well?

#796519 - 12/17/12 10:07 PM Re: Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS [Re: MargeKnits]
Knitpurlpeace Offline

Loc: Idaho, US
Yes, they carry a large selection of locally grown yarn, locally spun, dyed, etc. I am hoping to place my yarn there as soon as it comes from the mill. Got my first batch of fleeces on the way to be spun. I am keeping some for hand spinning when time allows:)

NOTE: New users are not allowed to add links/urls nor images of any kind to their posts or signature!

Edited by Sadhana - Indian Food (02/12/13 08:28 PM)

#801082 - 01/16/13 10:40 PM Re: Has anyone else notice the resurgence of the LYS [Re: MargeKnits]
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko

I really enjoy the location of the LYS here. One is right by a good coffeeshop and nice consignment store. I can have my yummy mochas and take them in to the knitting shop while I sit there and knit. Just take my mug back when I am done.
I am curious about other LYS - how many of your local stores have unique items specific to the region you live?
Here in Fairbanks, qiviuq yarn and antler needles and hooks are carried. Knit purl piece shares how her locally grown yarn is carried at her store. What other specific local items are carried at your store?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  AKLisa- Knitting Editor 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Cure for Rheumatoid Arthritis
by gGselle
Alternative Medicine
3 minutes 2 seconds ago
Where do you walk?
by Rosie 66
Walking
4 minutes 4 seconds ago
What is your experience with supplements?
by Rosie 66
Depression
9 minutes 56 seconds ago
What Did You Write Today?
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Fiction Writing
Today at 04:06 AM
Buying Houseplants
by Sue - Houseplants
Houseplants
Today at 01:35 AM
Buying Houseplants Online
by Sue - Houseplants
Houseplants
Today at 01:34 AM
Diagnosing Plant Death
by Sue - Houseplants
Houseplants
Today at 01:29 AM
Lisa's Daily 10pm EST / 8pm MST Meditation
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Meditation
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
I Lost Almost Everything
by Nancy Roussy
Stress Management
Yesterday at 07:02 PM
Starting a yoga practice
by Pam - Senior Issues
Senior Issues
Yesterday at 05:58 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
3 registered (gGselle, Rosie 66, 1 invisible), 69 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.