Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
johnnie55, uveuleurz, Noitartst, KAMI, Betty6123
57305 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57306 Members
417 Forums
113276 Topics
803672 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 578
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 374
Beetlemess 279
Jana - Creativity Editor 263
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 81
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 59
Dorcy 54
Nancy Roussy 53
Linu 47
Sandra Investing/HFinance 46
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#649936 - 12/16/10 12:56 AM What Was the Star of Bethlehem?
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: United Kingdom
The Star of Bethlehem is one of the loveliest symbols of Christmas. But what was it? Simply an inspired idea to emphasize the spiritual importance of the story? Or was it based on an actual astronomical happening?

What Was the Star of Bethlehem?

http://www.bellaonline.com/newsletter/astronomy

Add What Was the Star of Bethlehem? to Twitter Add What Was the Star of Bethlehem? to Facebook Add What Was the Star of Bethlehem? to MySpace Add What Was the Star of Bethlehem? to Del.icio.us Digg What Was the Star of Bethlehem? Add What Was the Star of Bethlehem? to Yahoo My Web Add What Was the Star of Bethlehem? to Google Bookmarks Add What Was the Star of Bethlehem? to Stumbleupon Add What Was the Star of Bethlehem? to Reddit
#730210 - 12/11/11 04:29 PM Re: What Was the Star of Bethlehem? [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

I read recently that an Australian astronomer worked out that the Star of Bethlehem was a major conjunction between Venus and Jupiter in which they were so close together they looked like one body. Oh, this also meant that the nativity occurred in June.

My take on this is in an article I wrote last year asking What Was the Star of Bethlehem? The Star of Bethlehem is one of the loveliest symbols of Christmas. But what was it? Simply an inspired idea to emphasize the spiritual importance of the story? Or was it based on an actual astronomical happening?

(No one knows.)

Add Re: What Was the Star of Bethlehem? to Twitter Add Re: What Was the Star of Bethlehem? to Facebook Add Re: What Was the Star of Bethlehem? to MySpace Add Re: What Was the Star of Bethlehem? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: What Was the Star of Bethlehem? Add Re: What Was the Star of Bethlehem? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: What Was the Star of Bethlehem? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: What Was the Star of Bethlehem? to Stumbleupon Add Re: What Was the Star of Bethlehem? to Reddit
#730211 - 12/11/11 05:07 PM Re: What Was the Star of Bethlehem? [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Susan - Meditation Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee

Loc: The Netherlands
I like the thought that it was the two planets so close together in sight.

Add Re: What Was the Star of Bethlehem? to Twitter Add Re: What Was the Star of Bethlehem? to Facebook Add Re: What Was the Star of Bethlehem? to MySpace Add Re: What Was the Star of Bethlehem? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: What Was the Star of Bethlehem? Add Re: What Was the Star of Bethlehem? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: What Was the Star of Bethlehem? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: What Was the Star of Bethlehem? to Stumbleupon Add Re: What Was the Star of Bethlehem? to Reddit
#730530 - 12/13/11 05:27 AM Re: What Was the Star of Bethlehem? [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Francine - German Culture Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: Germany/France
Quote:

Peace on Earth, Good will to all.

Yes that's a great idea Mona, and thanks for a super article.

Wish I had known all of this when I used to drag my sons out to look at the stars etc. through our telescope����..often referred to a Ladybird book, which covered astronomy for children, to bolster up the little I knew. blush

Edited by Francine - German Culture (12/13/11 05:28 AM)

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRUECKE Cologne, the CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. Photo "Der Wolf im Wald" with Plantu's "European Dove of Peace 2012". Western Europe has enjoyed the longest period of peace in its history, and in 2012 the EU won the Nobel Prize for Peace.

#730641 - 12/13/11 03:52 PM Re: What Was the Star of Bethlehem? [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Phyllis Doyle Burns Offline
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Reno, NV
The two planets so close to each other seems like it is magical to me. When miracles happen everything feels magical.

#743177 - 01/27/12 06:56 PM Re: What Was the Star of Bethlehem? [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Jim Colyer Offline
Parakeet

Loc: Nashville, TN
I don't think the Bethlehem star existed in nature. I think it was just a literary star.

#796294 - 12/16/12 11:52 PM Re: What Was the Star of Bethlehem? [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

In the 17th century, Johannes Kepler said that the Star of Bethlehem was a nova. He thought that it was caused by planetary conjunctions. (In a planetary conjunction, two or more planets seem to be quite close together in the sky.)

But although Kepler worked out three laws that described the motion of the planets, it took another 150 years to work out the size of the Solar System. Two planets may appear to be close together due to our viewing angle, yet be hundreds of millions of miles apart.

A nova happens even farther away. It's a type of dead star re-igniting in a thermonuclear explosion. The nearest stars to us (besides the Sun) are some six trillion miles away and not affected by Solar System planets.

#848728 - 12/23/13 06:29 PM Re: What Was the Star of Bethlehem? [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

I found a lovely painting of a flower called the Star of Bethlehem. It's by Marianne North, a 19th century artist who traveled the world recording the plant life. Her wonderful paintings have a special gallery in the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew, west of London.

Moderator:  Mona - Astronomy 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
New game - Quote it
by Jana - Creativity Editor
Creativity
06:38 PM
Word From Last Letter Game
Contests & Sweepstakes
05:21 PM
Shopping at Walmart Game
Home Finance
05:20 PM
Replace one word (Music Titles)
Comedy Movies
05:19 PM
Music ABC game
Pop Music
05:17 PM
It's Halloween Time
Horror Movies
04:08 PM
I went NUTS last week!
Home Cooking
01:14 PM
Weekly Monday Weigh-In
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Low Carb
01:05 PM
Weight Milestone Signs
Low Carb
01:04 PM
What do you Have for Breakfast?
Low Carb
01:02 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.