Print Thread
#796070 12/13/12 06:49 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi there everyone!

Well now, I have found it interesting that at times when dealing with youngsters of 40(!) they seem to think that because a person is retired or around that age or older, they just do not understand anything about business life today ... "you wouldn't know," I am told ... "You wouldn't understand," I hear.

I sometimes think it is as if they think we were born at 50 or 60 or 70 and didn't have a business or working life before retirement and that humanity has changed so that a lot of what we have to say is useless and of no consequence.

Have you had this experience at all? Have I articulated my thoughts clearly enough I wonder?

Anyway, I would be interested in any of your answers!

Below is a joke for you to enjoy - it certainly made me smile!

Cheers now...

THE HOTEL BILL

Living alone now with her children and their families living in distant cities, an older lady decided to give herself a big treat for her significant 70th birthday by staying overnight in an expensive 5***** hotel. When she checked out next morning, the desk clerk handed her a bill for $250.00.

She exploded and demanded to know why the charge was so high. "It's a nice hotel but the rooms certainly aren't worth $250.00 for just an overnight stay! I didn't even have breakfast."

The clerk told her that $250.00 is the 'standard rate', so she
insisted on speaking to the Manager.

The Manager appeared and, forewarned by the desk clerk, announced:

"This hotel has an Olympic-sized pool and a huge conference centre which are available for use." "But I didn't use them," she said.

"Well, they are here, and you could have," explained the Manager.

He went on to explain that she could also have seen one of the
in-hotel shows for which the hotel is famous. "We have the best
entertainers from the world over performing here," the Manager said.

"But I didn't go to any of those shows, and I have only been here for one night!" she said.

"Well, we have them, and you could have," the Manager replied.

No matter what amenity the Manager mentioned, she replied,
"But I didn't use it!" and the Manager countered with his
standard response.

After several more minutes of discussion with the Manager unmoved,she decided to pay, confirmed that they would accept cheques as a means of payment, wrote out her cheque and gave it to him.

The Manager was surprised when he looked at the cheque. "But madam,this cheque is for only $50.00."

"That's correct. I charged you $200.00 for sleeping with me," she replied.

"But I didn't!" exclaimed the very surprised Manager.

"Well, that's too bad,� she said �I was here, and you could have."

Don't mess with Senior Citizens!

Last edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens; 12/13/12 06:54 PM.

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello to Everyone and a HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and yours. May whatever 2013 has to bring you suit you, especially in the way of comfortable living.

Before the holidays I postd the question about 'you wouldn't understand.' I have copied it here for ease of reference - and see that maybe you were all too busy to reply then.

Do you have some time now - I hope so.

Even if you are not an oldie or a 'senior' and you have an opinion or something to say I would appreciate heariing your point of view! Thanks.

So here we go again...

Well now, I have found it interesting that at times when dealing with youngsters of 30 or 40(!) they seem to think that because a person is retired or around that age or older, they just do not understand anything about business life today ... "you wouldn't know," I am told ... "You wouldn't understand," I hear.

I sometimes think it is as if they think we were born at 50 or 60 or 70 and didn't have a business or working life before retirement; and that humanity has changed so much so that a lot of what we have to say is useless and of no consequence.

Have you had this experience at all? Have I articulated my thoughts clearly enough I wonder?

Thanks

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
A
A
He he he, people sure think senior citizens have less brains than younger ones! :D This post shows how wrong they are! Good idea posting it! Don't mess with Senior Citizens! - This is going to be my signature! :D

Last edited by AlanWoods; 03/12/13 01:23 AM.
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
I think this is cultural, my parents are both in their 70s & they are the "go to" people for advice. In fact, making a big decision w/o discussing it with your elders & getting their advice/input can even be considered disrespectful. My sisters & I are all working people in our 40s with kids & we all have advanced graduate degrees -- so we are literate :-) But just in the past week, we have all contacted my parents regarding the following:

- car insurance/home owner's insurance
- tax info/IRAs
- coverting an electric stove to an gas stove
- kids/babies
- colleges/teens
- lawn service/lawn care
- water softeners
- tv/internet/phone bundles

Anyway you get the picture..... many people outside of my culture (Indian) would think this amount of involvement & dependency is ridiculous but it's normal, not just in my family, but among Indians :-)

Last edited by Sadhana - Indian Food; 03/12/13 09:36 AM.

SADHANA GINDE, Indian Food Editor

BellaOnline Training Manager, BellaOnline Forum Admin, BellaOnine FB Admin :-)

Indian Food Website

Dont forget to sign up for the Indian Food Newsletter!

Moderated by  DeboraD 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.