Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,
Started reading what would seem to be a fantastic book,on a subject ,I spoke before Death in Buddhism.

These are the words written by H.H.Dalai-Lamain the foreword of the book.Cannot write the whole text ,wish I could ,it is too long.
HH Dalai-Lama:
As a Buddhist ,I view death as a normal process,a reality that I accept will occur as long as I remain in this earthly
existence.Knowing I cannot escape it, I see no point in worrying about it.I tend to think of death as being like changing your clothes,when they are old and worn out.rather than some final end.Yet death is unpredictable:We do not know when or how it will take place.So it is only sensible to take certain precautions before it actually happens.
naturally most of us would liketo die a peaceful death.but it is also clear that we cannot hope to die peacefully if our lives have been full of violence,or if our minds have mostly been agitated by emotions like anger,attachment,or fear.So if we wish to die well,we must learn how to live well;hoping for a peaceful death,we must cultivate peace in our mind,and in our way of life.

As you will read here ,from a Buddhist point of view,the actual experience of death is very important.Although how or where we will reborn is generally dependant on karmic forces, our state of mind at the time of death can influence the quality of our next rebirth.So at the moment of death,in spite of the great variety of karmas we have accumulated,if we make a special effort to generate a virtuous state of mind,we may strenghten ans activate a virtuous karma,ans so bring about a happy rebirth.

HHdalai-Lama

I am sorry if the text was long but it could not be scindered ,loosing the whole sense of same text

Humbly
loong

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

As mentionned by HH Dalai-Lama in the above text,

[naturally most of us would liketo die a peaceful death.but it is also clear that we cannot hope to die peacefully if our lives have been full of violence,or if our minds have mostly been agitated by emotions like anger,attachment,or fear.So if we wish to die well,we must learn how to live well;hoping for a peaceful death,we must cultivate peace in our mind,and in our way of life.

Every day ,I go to Mc Donalds to do my research and see humans.
We are 3 to 5 seniors,can't beleive ,I am writing this word ,senior...we meet and discuss ,never of spirituality,for sure.There is the eldest of the group that is :agitated by emotions like anger,hate attachment egotism ,insults.

This situation gives me the chance to practice and cultivate peace in my Mind,Compassion,Patience and understanding the sufferings of certain humans.

Compassion,loving kindness,Mindfulness,grows in me every day.

May you reread the first text to see how easy it is to live,in peace.

loong

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To
All or NONE

Words from poet saint,Milarepa:

My religion is to Live and Die. Without regret.

Loong

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all r none,

So from the Tibetan pointof view,we can divide our entire existence into 4 continuouslyinterlinked realites:(1)LIFE,(2)Dying and DEATH,(3),after Death,and re-birt

These are known as the four Bardos.

SOGYAL Rinpoche

What are the bardos,shall be one of my future posts,

Loong

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

A little bit more info on the bardos.

The natural bardo of life
The painful bardo of dying
The luminous bardo of the dharmata
The karmic bardo of becoming.

There are 2 more pages that I have to work on ,and comprehend as much as possible,each ,and what is the essence of the bardos.

When I started Buddhism, I started in Theravada lineage.
Quite different,and what I had read ,was that Bardos were waiting periods before rebirth.The ones that showed me did not know better,Bardos not being part of Theravada.

Openmindedness if one wants to comprehend other lineages is of the outmost importance.

loong
still learning

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

Being thorough ,I made some research on Bardo,Access to insight'
being a sort of dictionnary on theravada lineage,said that that thinking had been dismissed,
Checked Wikipeddia. In Wiki there are 6 not 4 bardos,checked
even an org. Called The Bardo.Org[sic],
So as you see,unless you read the writings of a Master,one may be badly influence.I will go on with Sogyal Rinpoche.
Here are a few statements made by SR;Only then ,will we be prepared when it reveal itself sponteanously and powerfully at the moment of death;be able to recognize it "as naturally" the teaching say "as a child running into her mother's lap " and by
remaining in that state, finally Liberated.

Sogyal Rinpoche

loong the messanger.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

Very important.... oupss had forgotten the description of the word Bardo;The word 'bardo'is commonly used to denote the intermediate state between death and re-birth,but in reality bardos are occuring continuously throughout both life and death,and are junctures when the possibility of liberation ,or enlightenment ,is heightened.

Sogyal Pinpoche

loong the messanger

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To all or none,

Starting to read .Impermanence,should be great,keep you posted.

loong the learner

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hi Loong, the number of bardos does vary according to the tradition. Sogyal Rinpoche is teaching the main bardos taught within his lineage. You know me - I do not take these absolutely literally. To me, these kinds of teachings are meant to provide us 'maps' for our awareness to navigate things that are not literally conveyable through words. And the bardos are also states we can navigate in meditation - as we shed karmas, this is essentially what we do - go through karmas in meditation that we would otherwise go through after death. If you think of the 'visions' of Mara and the temptations that the Buddha undergoes when he sits under the Bodhi tree, these are like his bardos that he had to 'travel' through without aversion or desire in order to realize nirvana.

Lisa Erickson, Buddhism Editor
Buddhism Site
Teaching and Private Session Website: Enlightened Energetics
Blog: Mommy Mystic
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
To Linda,
I know now that with Mahayana, never be surprised.
However what surprised me ,is:As We Shed karmas, this is essentially what we do - go through karmas in meditation that we would otherwise go through after death.Never heard or read that.
You being an expert on Meditation,and me being an adept of physical meditation,never did Thich Nhat Hanh ,mention such a
discovery for me.
One thing I have decided is, if I need reference on Mahayana,not
to go to Wiki.They treat Mahayana like a joke.

Could my steps in Buddha's steps have the same effect.While eating ,preparing dinner,washing the dishes, making my environnement clean,always in mindfulnes,with half a smile on my face as explained by TNH?
Thank you for your info.

loong still learning.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  Lisa - Buddhism 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.