Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
bertinglebra, ostabest, spoodle22, KaylaWa, Marie Stroman
57465 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57466 Members
417 Forums
113610 Topics
806775 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 07:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 416
Nancy Roussy 230
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 108
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 66
Jana - Creativity Editor 60
Mona - Astronomy 59
Beetlemess 49
Sandra Investing/HFinance 48
Susan - Meditation Editor 39
mary-tea1 18
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#795706 - 12/10/12 12:52 PM Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 149 years old!
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: United Kingdom
Annie Jump Cannon was born on December 11, 1863 and I suppose, having died in 1941, she may not still be all that sprightly. However her legacy is certainly alive and well.

In addition to her work in astronomy (classifying a quarter of a million stellar spectra for the Henry Draper Catalog), she was a suffragette, and worked for rights for women and to promote their opportunities in science.

Cannon was the last recipient of the Ellen Richards research award set up to help fund the studies of women scientists. The award was discontinued after this - on the grounds that women were now equal and it was no longer needed. Miss Cannon disagreed and used the money to set up an award of her own, specificially to aid women working on a PhD in astronomy.

You can read more about the fascinating Annie Jump Cannon by clicking on her name.

Edited by Mona - Astronomy (12/10/12 08:25 PM)

http://www.bellaonline.com/newsletter/astronomy

Add Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 149 years old! to Twitter Add Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 149 years old! to Facebook Add Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 149 years old! to MySpace Add Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 149 years old! to Del.icio.us Digg Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 149 years old! Add Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 149 years old! to Yahoo My Web Add Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 149 years old! to Google Bookmarks Add Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 149 years old! to Stumbleupon Add Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 149 years old! to Reddit
#795711 - 12/10/12 03:04 PM Re: Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 147 years old! [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Susan - Meditation Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee

Loc: The Netherlands
Mona - 1863 to 1938 is 75 years old ...

Add Re: Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 147 years old! to Twitter Add Re: Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 147 years old! to Facebook Add Re: Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 147 years old! to MySpace Add Re: Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 147 years old! to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 147 years old! Add Re: Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 147 years old! to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 147 years old! to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 147 years old! to Stumbleupon Add Re: Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 147 years old! to Reddit
#795729 - 12/10/12 08:37 PM Re:Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 149 years old! [Re: Susan - Meditation Editor]
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: United Kingdom
From December 11, 1863 to December 11, 2012 is 149. (Whoops! Two years off. Oil up the abacus.)

But Susan, thanks for the nudge, because I was looking at the wrong death date for Annie Cannon, which was April 1941. She was 77 when she died. I'm not sure how I muddled my arithmetic about her birth anniversary, must have run out of fingers. smile

http://www.bellaonline.com/newsletter/astronomy

Add Re:Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 149 years old! to Twitter Add Re:Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 149 years old! to Facebook Add Re:Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 149 years old! to MySpace Add Re:Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 149 years old! to Del.icio.us Digg Re:Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 149 years old! Add Re:Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 149 years old! to Yahoo My Web Add Re:Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 149 years old! to Google Bookmarks Add Re:Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 149 years old! to Stumbleupon Add Re:Annie Cannon - she's a sprightly 149 years old! to Reddit

Moderator:  Mona - Astronomy 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Post Here to FIND or BE a beta reader of fiction!
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Fiction Writing
Yesterday at 09:55 PM
What Did You Write Today?
by Grace - Mystery Movies
Fiction Writing
Yesterday at 08:00 PM
The Haunting of Julia
by Grace - Mystery Movies
Mystery Movies
Yesterday at 07:55 PM
Lisa's Daily 10pm EST / 8pm MST Meditation
Meditation
Yesterday at 05:46 PM
Winter Solstice Mused Literary Review is LIVE
Poetry
Yesterday at 03:42 PM
Earth from Space - beautiful images
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Yesterday at 02:54 PM
What did you SPEND money on today?
by Nancy Roussy
Frugal Living
Yesterday at 12:18 PM
Winter Solstice in Ireland
by Bee - IrishCulture
Irish Culture
Yesterday at 09:58 AM
While you Were Sleeping Movie Review
by Mystic - Romance Movies
Romance Movies
Yesterday at 09:23 AM
Where are you and how is the weather?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
Yesterday at 08:37 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
2 registered (Lynne - ChristianLiving, Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames), 65 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.