Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
bertinglebra, ostabest, spoodle22, KaylaWa, Marie Stroman
57465 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57466 Members
417 Forums
113608 Topics
806769 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 07:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 438
Nancy Roussy 230
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 108
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 64
Jana - Creativity Editor 61
Mona - Astronomy 58
Beetlemess 49
Sandra Investing/HFinance 48
Susan - Meditation Editor 39
mary-tea1 18
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#685097 - 05/08/11 03:56 PM Re: Diabetes! [Re: Angela J. Shirley]
GrannyH Offline
Zebra

Loc: West-Central Minnesota
Rosie, as long as you don't yet have diabetes, you don't need to be as scared about the risks as you are. The loss of organs comes after they don't get enough oxygen for a long time, or don't get the 'waste' removed after a long time. (These are not overnight symptoms, but ones that take years.) The blood system's job is to carry the oxygen/wastes, and it can't if it's full of glucose. Smaller meals more often keeps the blood glucose lower. Staying active helps pump the blood better.

Once we've reached a certain age (60 and you and I are both there) they allow our readings to be a little higher than they did when we were younger. That's because we probably don't have enough time to begin that kind of damage.

So, eat sensible, stay active and test periodically and you don't need to fear it.

Add Re: Diabetes! to Twitter Add Re: Diabetes! to Facebook Add Re: Diabetes! to MySpace Add Re: Diabetes! to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Diabetes! Add Re: Diabetes! to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Diabetes! to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Diabetes! to Stumbleupon Add Re: Diabetes! to Reddit
#686111 - 05/12/11 01:56 PM Re: Diabetes! [Re: GrannyH]
Angela J. Shirley Offline
Tiger

Thanks GrannyH, I too was concerned and your info really proved helpful smile

Add Re: Diabetes! to Twitter Add Re: Diabetes! to Facebook Add Re: Diabetes! to MySpace Add Re: Diabetes! to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Diabetes! Add Re: Diabetes! to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Diabetes! to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Diabetes! to Stumbleupon Add Re: Diabetes! to Reddit
#695586 - 06/15/11 02:06 AM Re: Diabetes! [Re: Angela J. Shirley]
sarah williamS Offline

its not compulsary that if a father and mother has diabetes, the child also will get it. i completely does not believe it and it just because of uncontrolled food habit. need to take proper diet to maintain a healthy body with little excersise also should be followed regularly.

#695815 - 06/15/11 09:16 PM Re: Diabetes! [Re: sarah williamS]
Tiger

Welcome sarah williamS to the forum and thanks for stopping by and sharing with us smile

#736814 - 01/01/12 01:00 PM Re: Diabetes! [Re: Angela J. Shirley]
Tiger

Originally Posted By: Angela J. Shirley
Hi Everyone:

My mom has diabetes, so I try to make sure I get tested when I can.

Do you have diabetes?
What about your kids?
Does diabetes run in your family?
What steps are you taking to find out if you have it?
What steps are you taking to make sure you don't get it (lol)?

Thank goodness, so far I have not gotten the symptoms and have asked my only child, a girl, now 24 to do the same as she has it on BOTH sides of the family - her father's mom has diabetes. I don't know if she will take my advice as at age 24 I have to allow her to live her life her way.

Now your turn smile

Thanks,

#795362 - 12/05/12 11:11 PM Re: Diabetes! [Re: Angela J. Shirley]
Carolyn Golden Offline

I was diagnosed about 3 years ago. They tagged me as &quot;gestational&quot; but it did not go away. Medications did not work, only insulin. I had to fight with Kaiser to get them to do a test for type 1, which is what I have. But it is very uncommon for people to get type 1 in their 30's, so they thought I was stupid or something when I suggested it. My cousin also got type 1 in her 30's but she has a history on her dad's side where I am not related. Now another 2nd cousin got it at age 9. So I know there is a genetic component there, and I guess I should be thankful that I have been spared living with it until now. I am paranoid about my kids getting it - that would SUCK to have to give shots and finger pricks to a young child. I will do my damndest to make sure they eat right so there is no type 2 in their future either. There is no one with type 2 in my family, by the way &amp; I have 10 aunts, 8 uncles and 30 cousins!

#795371 - 12/06/12 12:00 AM Re: Diabetes! [Re: Angela J. Shirley]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Loc: Mont Tremblant,quebec Can
Dear Carolyn,

At one point in my life ,was diagnosed with type 2 diabeties.
The doctors had me on pills,then after pricking my finger every morning,I started having my diabeties going very down.Stopped taking the meds.Diabeties is gone .I eat sugar,no meat,i am a veggie.So when people tell me once diabetic always diabetic,It makes me laugh.It's been more than 3 years now.Never came back.

IMPORTANT: I am talking here about type 2 .

loong

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  C. Kimura 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
What did you SPEND money on today?
by Nancy Roussy
Frugal Living
12 minutes 21 seconds ago
Winter Solstice in Ireland
by Bee - IrishCulture
Irish Culture
Today at 09:58 AM
While you Were Sleeping Movie Review
by Mystic - Romance Movies
Romance Movies
Today at 09:23 AM
Where are you and how is the weather?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
Today at 08:37 AM
What will you do today?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
Today at 08:36 AM
2014 Eating Log
by Nancy Roussy
Low Carb
Today at 08:33 AM
What did you dream about last night?
by Nancy Roussy
Dreams
Today at 08:30 AM
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
Today at 07:41 AM
Best Body Care Gifts for Friends & Family
by BB -Body Care
Body Care
Today at 07:29 AM
Top 10 Mistakes at the Car Dealer
by Steve - Cars
Cars
Today at 07:04 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 110 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.