logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
My 4-year-old wants a fish for Christmas, so I was just thinking "ok, so I get a bowl and a fish and some rocks, right?" But then my neighbor told me they need a filter to really thrive, or they just die in the bowl. I am scared to go into the pet store with this question as I feel like they will sell me the moon. But is that the consensus? A tank with a filter, and also use only distilled water and a special sponge to clean? I have never had a fish before.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
Dear Carolyn,

Not being the editor of this section ,I beleive you should contact.Do you know how it works? Contact MARY_BETTA_FISH.

I never give my opinion before the Editor,out of respect for hierarchy.

loong

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Equally you could find the address and meeting times of the local fish fanciers group and go along. Not only will they be able to help, but you will be in contact with an excellent resource and source of advice to have happy healthy fish. smile

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
C
OP Offline
C
Sorry - I have seen Mary-betta-fish's postings, I never thought to contact her directly! But thanks for the advice - I never knew there would be a fish-fanciers group, but I bet there is - we have a lot of fish specialty shops in our area, so there must be a big interest. I am about to enter a new world I know nothing about, and I will really be the one getting the fish, not my 4-yr-old!!!

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Hi, Carolyn, What kind of fish? - Mary

Mary Brennecke Fish Site
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Fish in general need filters because one of the most important things in keeping fish healthy is clean water.

Mary Brennecke Fish Site
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
I saw an ad for a petstore that I thought was so true. It said "What do you need to know about taking care of your new pet? Everything." If you get a betta fish, he will need a water filter, but many betta parents start with a betta marina. It has a lid that snaps on. They don't always start with a filter, but you will need to do water changes often. This will keep the water clean until you get a little larger tank for your betta fish and with a small water filter - the kind that doesn't create too much of a water flow. This is because betta fish have long, flowing fins that they need for swimming well and the water current can hinder this and even cause damage to the fins. Betta fish are actually one of the easiest fish to keep. Very beautiful and fun and personable. You can only have one normally because they are territorial with other male bettas and cannot be in the same tank together because they will fight to the death for their territory. You can see these little fish in cups at Pet stores and aquairium stores. The lid on the betta marina is because betta fish (also known as Siamese fighting fish - please do not let them fight - this is inhumane of course.)are also jumpers. They can jump right out of a fish bowl. This has to do with the history of their origins and how their ancestors survived by jumping from mud puddle to puddle of water in rice fields in Thailand to survive. This instinct is still hard-wired into their brains. They are fascinating wonderful fish to have as a pet. I highly recommend them.

Mary Brennecke Fish Site
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Of course, the key word is "4-year-old". So, you will really be the person in charge of taking care of your little fish who is the newest member of your family. Your little child can learn to love and take care of a pet through your example.

Mary Brennecke Fish Site
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
I know what you mean about the pet store. The best first thing you can buy at the petstore is a book on fish care. Read up. You'll understand more and get confidence. Ask me as you read. I have a little book on the importance of clean water for Betta fish. You can see it in the e-books here at Bellaonline.com. This principle applies to all fish - the importance of clean water. It's just that, as you can begin to see from these posts to you about the betta fish, there are a few specific fun facts to know about betta fish first before you become a new betta fish pet parent. fish

Last edited by Mary_Betta_Fish; 01/22/13 08:07 AM.

Mary Brennecke Fish Site
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
fish You could give your child a fish for Valentine's DAy. You still have time to read up on Betta fish care and fish care in general and care of the specific type of fish you decide to adopt. fish

Mary Brennecke Fish Site
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mary_Betta_Fish 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.