Print Thread
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
Intermittent sadness can last for days or weeks after a new diagnosis or a troubling event. Sometimes feelings can be overwhelming and we can lose sight of the possibility of future happiness or options that we never imagined.

The symptoms of depression in mothers of children with disabilities are not acknowledged or understood in the same way as a physical injury requiring treatment and accommodations. Mothers of children with disabilities have been said to experience chronic sorrow that intrudes into otherwise happy lives.

Please seek help for depression or hopelessness. You are a very important person and deserve support and encouragement to get you through difficult times.

Chronic Sorrow and Childhood Disabilities
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art173469.asp

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Hi Pamela,

I've been bi-polar since 16yrs. and in and out of mental institutions and jail all my life.

My Mother bore a great burden.

Thank You for putting out this information.

Although childless by choice myself, I would like to add my voice to the clarion call to all of you moms out there !

Please, Please, Please avail yourself of as much help as you can !

If I was born in this day and time, my mom would have been able to cope much better.

As was mentioned in the article, Postpartum is more acknowledged and understood these days.

Environment, biochemical toxins, and genetics led to my downfall.

Please secure your emotional, financial, and extended network of family and friends before you take on the responsibility of another life !

Just like the birds, build the nest first.

Easy for me to talk... yes.

However, with the great amount mental and physical suffering I endured -- much of it could have been prevented.

It took me well over 40 years to sort out what happened and why.

Many times by just sitting quietly and thinking.

Now, pick up the torch that Pamela has set forth and run with it !

You can do better.

I know you can.

Sincerely,

Burt B.

Last edited by Burt B.; 09/16/12 08:56 AM.
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
Although so much more is known about how to support mothers and families struggling with emotional challenges and complicated living situations, it can be terribly difficult for individuals to find resources in their communities that develop into long term solutions. One of the problems with segregated special education programs is that they can be in locations distant from neighborhood schools and they can be moved whenever classrooms are needed by mainstream students or other programs.

Even when children are included in regular classrooms in their neighborhood schools, families may move from place to place as financial circumstances improve or deteriorate. Providing opportunities outside of schools where children and teens from throughout the community can participate no matter what their circumstances or housing changes is possible through parks department or library programs, non-profits, small businesses and national chains. Healthy communities encourage inclusive neighborhood playgroups, sports leagues, Campfire groups and other child-centered organizations.

Individuals can be overwhelmed by difficulties, isolation, and a random series of setbacks even in a community with all the opportunities that we wish were available to everyone. Hanging on and getting to the next better day is an important survival skill even when that is not recognized as resilience.

The best remedy for chronic sorrow may be having life go improbably right.

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Childhood Disability and Supporting Other Mothers
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art59660.asp

S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
It is more common for families of individuals with Down syndrome I've known to report increased resilience and unexpected joy than chronic sorrow. I have long thought this is due to the increased opportunities available, peer friendships, and community support children find as they grow up.

Although every mainstream parent has 'if only' and 'what if' moments, sometimes both the highs and lows in the life of a parent raising a son or daughter with Down syndrome can bring on stronger emotions.

I love the reference to chronic sadness in this article:
Loving a Child on the Fringe
By Cristina Nehring
http://slate.me/VdU8n1
Quote:
... There are reasons to think the future could be harder�not easier�than the present.
But while certain experts (repeatedly quoted by Solomon) have suggested that this leads to �chronic sadness� in parents of children with Down syndrome, I find it leads to �chronic carpe diem��a chronic desire to seize the day and wring the best possible from every moment�and from myself. ...

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Chronic Sorrow and Childhood Disabilities
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art173469.asp

Originally Posted By: SNC_Editor_Pam
Intermittent sadness can last for days or weeks after a new diagnosis or a troubling event. Sometimes feelings can be overwhelming and we can lose sight of the possibility of future happiness or options that we never imagined.

The symptoms of depression in mothers of children with disabilities are not acknowledged or understood in the same way as a physical injury requiring treatment and accommodations. Mothers of children with disabilities have been said to experience chronic sorrow that intrudes into otherwise happy lives.

Please seek help for depression or hopelessness. You are a very important person and deserve support and encouragement to get you through difficult times.

Moderated by  SNC_Editor_Pam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.