Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
My latest article is a review of the documentary Jesus and Buddha - Practicing Across Traditions. In this three teachers share their knowledge of both traditions, and how they combine them in their own spiritual paths. Very interesting for any interfaith spiritual seeker.

I'm interested in anyone who considers themselves interfaith sharing their own thoughts...

Lisa Erickson, Buddhism Editor
Buddhism Site
Teaching and Private Session Website: Enlightened Energetics
Blog: Mommy Mystic
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
Dear Lisa,

Recently saw a report from a group of 4 historians,that Jesus did not die on the cross.Jesus was only 6 hours on the cross.not
sufficient to kill a human.Also in that period of time,the punishment for the crimes of Jesus was flagellation.Jesus being
an advanced and well developped intellectually and otherwise,
put himself in a cathatonic state,simulating death.That nite
his followers using their healing energies helped Jesus back .
They removed him that nite.The historians with proofs ,showed that Jesus married Marie-Madeleine and had 2 sons.

Recently spoke with a friend deep into Jesus and the Indhi way of living,he knew of what I have written.
I would appreciate your comments.

loong

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hi Looong, that is a very interesting theory. I have read lots of different ideas about Jesus and his life- as I'm sure you know there are many different alternative theories out there. My opinion is that there is no way of knowing for sure, anymore than we can truly know the details of the Buddha's life. After their passing their life stories became 'teaching legends' - stories meant to convey the major lessons of their lifetime. So the subsequent texts telling their life stories - the gospels in Christianity and the sutras in Buddhism, vary according to who wrote them, and what lessons they wanted to convey.

What I do feel though is that one can find enlightenment through the teachings of Jesus, by connecting to 'Christ' instead of the historical Jesus. This is very much like connecting to 'Buddha-mind' instead of the historical Buddha. Ultimately, 'Christ-mind' and 'Buddha-mind' are the same. Those Christian mystics who have discovered this have gone through an awakening process remarkably similar to the awakening process described in Buddhist teachings. This is really the thrust of the documentary I reviewed in this article.

In addition to this documentary, there are many books available. Both the Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh have written on this, you can see their books at the end of this older article I wrote a couple of years ago:

Buddhist Views of Jesus

Buddhism Site
Koala
Koala
Dear Lisa,

Made some research,on the word Christ,why the word was not used by Thich Nhat Han, in the article Buddhists view of Jesus.

The word Christ is from the Hebrew language meaning Messiah.His followers thought he was THE Messiah ,that the Jews are still waiting for,that is why he was called Christ.
Wrong word ,because the expected jewish Messiah should be a man of grear power,great warrior type.
Jesus was the opposite.So Christ should not be used when talking
of Jesus. That is why TNH and HH the Dalai-LAMAcalled him only Jesus nothing else .Calling Jesus,Jesus Christ is a historical
error of choice of words.

So we should say Jesus-Mind like Buddha Mind,if we say Christ-Mind,we are making an historical error,because Christ is not born yet.

loong

D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Lisa, I really liked your article and I can relate to all the points you mentioned. There are definite similarities between both belief systems. Even though I am Catholic and thus a Christian, I do embrace elements in the Buddhist tradition as well, and I can see why both appeal to me. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Loong.....you do not have to use the word Christ when speaking of Jesus, as this is your view. People who have beliefs other than Christianity may indeed share this philosophy.

I respectfully disagree with you on using the word Christ in my vocabulary. As a Catholic I will certainly refer to Jesus as the Christ. It is an integral part of my belief system, as well as other Christians.

To each his/her own. Peace _/\_

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
Loong, I see your point. There are many differing theories about Jesus or the Christ whichever you wish, and some have very adamant views about their belief systems, others not so.

The thing that I see is that no matter what a persons belief system is, attempting to usher them into greater realms of truth that benefit them should be our goal first.

One day while doing readings in a metaphysical book store a young man approached me calling himself a Satanist. I know very little about that world and it really did not matter if I did or not. I just knew that he was searching for the truth or he never would have stood by my table until I began to speak to him. I did have his best interest at heart and in the end I challenged none of his beliefs yet helped him lift some very negative things from his life.

Being understanding of others in the place that they are in is paramount first before sharing words that can truly benefit them. We can speak things that are firm yet the listener must be undergirded with a certain amount of comfort before any such words are absorbed as they are needed. I can have all of the facts in the world and blatantly speak them yet I may not have any understanding of what it takes to lead an individual to their own highest and best enlightenment.

These are also Buddhist teachings.

Koala
Koala
To all or none,

This is a buddhist forum.In no way I disrespect the beleifs of any religion phylosophy.
In my walk of the path of buddhism ,I was shown to encourage ,people to live their beleifs.

Again I repeat ,this is a buddhist section,and no religion has been attacked.
What you read are my views as a Buddhist.

One thing you do not know is the great and grand respect I have for Jesus,one of the great men of our times.

Wit loving kindness and an open mind

Loong
Son of the Universe

D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
That is great, Loong. I did not feel attacked at all by your words but wanted to just give my view. We are all children of the universe. Peace to you.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Originally Posted By: loongdragon

Made some research,on the word Christ,why the word was not used by Thich Nhat Han, in the article Buddhists view of Jesus.

Hi loong, you are mistaken. Thich Nhat Hanh's book is called 'Living Buddha, Living Christ' so he most certainly does use the word 'Christ'!! As does the Dalai Lama in his book on Christianity and Buddhism, The Good Heart.

While you are correct about the historical roots of the word, the way it is often used by mystic Christians is to refer to the spirit or power beyond the human Jesus. This is also how many Eastern teachers like Deepak Chopra (which also has a book out on Christianity), Thich Nhat Hanh, Dalai Lama etc. use it. In this sense it becomes very much like 'Buddha-mind'. The phrase 'Buddha-mind' in Buddhist teachings is meant to urge us to focus not on the historical Buddha but on shared enlightenment at the root of our own mind. 'Christ' is used in a similar fashion in some interfaith spiritual teachings.

Buddhism Site
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa - Buddhism 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.