Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

The holiday season is beginning, a time of "Gemuetlichkeit", a happy, warm and peaceful time.

And a word which can take many forms throughout the year.

"Gemuetlich" and "Kindergarten" are equally at home in English and German, and many other words have traveled from Germany across the world and have been so well absorbed into English their origins, and sometimes the original meaning, are long forgotten.

German Words Used in English

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 11/28/12 11:24 AM.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
What about Gesundheit? I don't hear it in England, but in America it was commonly said when someone sneezed. I know our family did - no German connection.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

You are absolutely right of course Mona, Gesundheit is a great example. Just sort of ran out of space really, already vastly overrun so collecting disapproving guidance memos, otherwise it certainly deserved to be in there.

Still always say "Bless You", which of course means the poor German in receipt of the "blessing" virtually always looks as if I have finally freaked. The few times I tried to explain about the old belief that the devil entered during a sneeze did not improve things.

Oh well lets look on the positive side, at least it is a reaction from their side, positive or not.

Thanks for the idea Mona and the feedback.

Francine

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
You could save up any examples that you come across. There might be another article in it one day!

A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
Francine, I don't know many words that are used in both cultures but I was wondering if people over there still said," Ein Prosit und Gem�tlichkeit ?? We used that a lot years ago. In any case, Frohe Weinachten Francine!

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Francine,

What about cooking terms and names of dishes etc? Schnitzel? Eisbein? Kasler? Brockwurst etc? I know they are just names but, well I suppose I could order crumbed veal slices or pork or chicken .... it's just easier to say Schnitzel please.

I love 'German' foods so before I get too hungry I had better go...

Cheers

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Will do that Mona, thanks for the idea.

Am always scrambling about in a mad panic trying to think of the next topic that might be of interest to folks other than me.

As a Gemini I have a "dustbin" mind which simply collects things, others put it more politely to save my feelings, but it does mean what I find fascinating the poor people who have to read about it must often think "Hello-What?"

Thanks again Mona.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Hi Dave, Super to hear from you. Have not heard "Ein Prosit und Gem�tlichkeit" being said as such.......but that is probably just me, however here is something for you:

Ein Prosit und Gemuetlichkeit?

Hope you enjoy it and perhaps it will bring back some fun memories.

And "Frohe Weinachten" to you too, and your family. I just love Advent don't you? Gluehwein, Roasted Almonds and the smell of pine, for some a religious festival for others - not, but nevertheless it all seems to brighten up a dark winter month.

Thank you for your feedback Dave.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Cooking terms and German dishes is a fun idea Lestie, and you are right crumbed veal slices please, I don't think so.

Will definitely do an article on the topic, and will enjoy it.

Well apart from the "Eisbein" part.

It was given me as a 'special favor' just before the end of East Germany's existence. We were there for work, it was a luxury served to us as guests by a wonderful old lady who took us in from the rain, and heaven knows how she had found several as they were hard to come by there.

But I was two months away from producing my youngest son, huge and really off anything even vaguely 'meaty', so each mouthful was torture, but obviously could not 'not' eat it.

Have always remembered the old lady with great affection, almost ninety at the time, but have never eaten Eisbein again. smile

Thanks for the thought, and bringing back a super memory, Lestie.

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 12/01/12 10:51 AM.

A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
Francine, I know that the correct phrasing is Ein Prosit der gemutlichkeit however I learned it as Ein Prosit und Gemutlichkeit. Its just like the phrase,"was has du gesagt?" I learned it simply as, was ist gesagt?" which probably also is grammatically incorrect. Years back I took a refresher course in German with a lady from Gorlitz. When I spoke she would look at me at times like I had just made up my own language. It is how I learned it. No too long ago we had a Berliner exchange student stay with us over Christmas. He spoke English better than I did!! When we tried to engage in total immersion of German conversation we were able to communicate fairly well except for times when he too would give me a look again like I was from another planet. I asked him," Was ist?" (whats up?) He told me that my German sounds like his Grandparents. The old language. That makes sense as I learned my Grandparents tongue. All languages change and we have to go with it, I guess?

Years ago Christmas was a two or three week affair for us. We would go to different homes and with our German friends we would sample stulle, kuchen, and of course that good Gluhwein!

Happy and a safe holiday Francine!!! dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Francine - German Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.