Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Yay Dave not such 'Old fashioned German' after all.

Have found out that "Ein Prosit der gemutlichkeit" is still used, and not that infrequently either.

There you go, when you visit Germany you will probably find many of your phrases are still in use...........although perhaps not in trendy disco bars, but would you be visiting those very often?

Yes language does change everywhere, and of course at the moment "Denglish" is creeping, or rather galloping, into German and causing "Angst".

Did you play the clip? It is fun isn't it.

By the way your description of the Christmas seasons you remember is how is still is here basically. Advent is a time of visiting and all the atmosphere and goodies that go with it.

I still find it magical.

And as for that Gluehwein, oh yum.............but strangely enough it does not taste the same in January smile

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Hi Francine,

Really enjoyed your article and list.

My Jewish "bubby"/grandmother who was from Eastern Europe (ending up in Latvia) spoke a mishmash of English, German, Polish, Russian and,of course, Yiddish, so I never really knew which language those words that she spoke came from. She was always exhorting me to be a MENSCH- such as "eat like a mensch" or "talk like a mensch" or "dress like a mensch." Thus, I suppose that I was fortunate that she she did not aspire for me to be a SCHWEINEHUND!
Also from her I learned to be neither a SCHLEMIEL, SHLEMAZEL nor a SCHMUCK (literally and figuratively!).

Last edited by Les-Mexico; 12/01/12 05:53 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello almal!

..and then there is Swiss German which 'language' I believe does not come in a written form at all or with dictionaries?

I hear you can have a long conversation in SwissGerman and confirm all in email and correspondence etc in formal/informal/colloquial German depending on the context of said conversation.

I also hear that Swiss German goes beyond merely being a dialect of German - and that with most languages, when it comes to use, a native can recognise someone who speaks Parisian French as opposed to one from Provence or Brussels as with a Berne German speaker versus one from Zurich.

I speak Schnizel - that international German dialect.

Funny how memories have a way of sneaking up on us and us being able to revel in them. I love it too when that happens for me - but Francine, please request three bits of eisbein from a friendly and perplexed restaurateur ... I can imagine the downside of being faced with the whole one 'en bone'. But maybe not!

Go well and I say cheers

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Well can see who isn't too far from a German community Lestie. Alle mal for "everybody", now that is real German.

As for "Switzerduetsch" it really is a Swiss dialect of German, with which the Swiss can communicate without having the average German understand a word.

Which can also be said for the Bavarian dialect of German, even more especially after a few hours at an Oktoberfest. There are special dictionaries to help out, and like Swiss/German to see these things written down is better than a comedy show sometimes.

Most languages are influenced by area. Parisians do speak very differently from those in Burgundy and also from the French speakers of Belgium, and the same goes for English speakers. Went to visit my youngest son when he was at Uni in Newcastle, and found it very difficult to understand what was being said in shops etc.

Memories, you are right, they do sneak up on us when we least expect them, and yes perhaps an entire Eisbein, complete with bone and fat - Yuk - would have been a bit much even if I wasn't basically a non-meat eater. Can't really say vegetarian as I do eat fish, shell fish and cheese as well as any vegetable or fruit I can lay my hands on. Bit of a piglet myself really, perhaps that is another reason Eisbein was a bit of a struggle smile

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loved your post Les, it did make me giggle.

Have heard all those words so many times, their origins really are just as mixed as your Grandmother's usage, and do use Mensch a lot myself, even when talking English. It is a beautiful word to describe someone as, and it is of course just great to find folks who deserve the description.

Have only met a few "Schweinehund" types luckily, but that was more than enough, so thank goodness your lovely "Super-Gran" steered you in the opposite direction.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Francine - German Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.