logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 51 of 72 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 71 72
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I guess that Debbie would be intellectually/emotionally cool regarding this post which appeared on a different forum today (please see Debbie's astute but not not 'awesome' comment on post#826912 on 6/22/13): 'Cool post! I write about language all the time, but "emersion" was a new one on me.'

Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Burt did provide us with an awe-inspiring post. Thank you, Burt. I do think he changes his avatars frequently in part to please me, if not himself.....LOL.....because he knows I love all his flowers and kitties. Thank you Burt, yet again.

Faithless to me means to not have a strong belief in any particular truth....not a deity, the order of the universe, nature, other people, or even yourself. Faithless is non-denominational. One can depend on nothing. Just my two cents....

As for the mysterious article on the A/A site, there must have been some intervention. But divine? I doubt it! Mexico, anyone?

Posts like the one that Lance described do chill me emotionally and intellectually. I guess you could call it cool, but I think it can be more accurately described as "unreal".

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Another commonly (mis)used word that miraculously appears that can be rendered banal more often than not is AMAZING as in 'after reading this article, I can’t say that this was your first article. Amazing. I enjoyed your article.'

C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
It's true that amazing can be banal. At other times it is perfectly descriptive!

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Agree with Connie on this one LBAE, "Amazing" might be misused sometimes but there are many other occasions when it fits the situation perfectly.

I have an antipathy to "cool" which probably compares to Debbie's, although it is rarely seen or heard over here luckily, but whenever it does appear it just odd somehow. What does it mean these days?

The original, and absolutely fitting, meaning was lost many years ago.

However "Awesome"............its use has become so ubiquitous it defies definition. The explanation can only be that I have probably been in Germany too long, but it is my bête noire, so had to laugh at the comments.

Somewhere or another I saw a mushroom being called exactly that, awesome, so wondered what adjectives would be left to be used for describing a cure for all cancers, genuine world peace or a development whereby all children would have a chance to live and grow in a loving, supportive and healthy home.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Shark
Shark

Connie and Francine, I find it amazing that you are both so passionate (in defense/defence of amazing, respectively) about my alter-ego singling out the word amazing as quite often being misused.

Unknown to myself or LanceB. at the time that the post was made is that after a subsequent Internet search we discovered that in 2011 amazing topped the official "List of Words Banished from the Queen's English for Misuse, Overuse and General Uselessness," by Lake Superior State University in Sault Ste. Marie, Mich. That was the "37th year the university had compiled a list of the hoariest, most annoying, and most clichéd words and phrases emanating from weary (or lazy) jawbones that year."

"Amazing earned the top spot because of its ubiquitous use to describe anything, great or small, no matter its relative merit. Examples: “'That Hot Pocket I just ate was amazing!” Or, “The French Revolution was amazing!'”

So, while you two are among the most amazing (proper usage to describe your extensive and diverse skills, knowledge and interests) of the BellaOnline editors, I am far from being alone in my belief that amazing is frequently used inappropriately.

However, Francine if someone were to combine eggs with mushrooms would that then be worthy of being termed awesome as some would lead us to believe?

I wonder what wrath I shall incur by saying that miraculous is another word that I see frequently as being inappropriately used? Por ejemplo:"in one of the wildest finishes in Stanley Cup history, the Blackhawks miraculously rallied past the Bruins to win the title."

If that was truly the case, I did not realize that God was such a sports fan and favored Chicago over Boston.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
in a silent yet awesome, cool, amazing and miraculous manner LanceB. discovered that he is now able to access/utilize the full reply screen and to send/receive personal messages, thus edwardd1 is going back to school and will no longer be posting; you will only be hearing from his alter ego.

Since reprinting song lyrics is a copyright infringement (I did not know that but do now!), yesterday the "owner" of BellaOnline deleted the lyrics of "Faithless."

Back to RTs: Why do you think that anyone would find the word niggardly offensive?

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Because people don't like a cheap miserly person.

LesS13 #827380 06/26/13 05:23 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Hmmm LanceB......The joining together of an egg and perhaps more than one mushroom?

Gosh well this is of course a creative combination..........any mention of chopped herbs, ground pepper etc.? Was it scrambled or destined to be an omelette?

Doesn't matter, whatever the result – was it perhaps a piece of modern art, have seen worse in certain galleries, you cannot deny that this something which required original thinking so ….........awesome, perhaps even amazing but certainly not miraculous.

That is unless you could see a face in it, then it would became an object of pilgrimage.

And you would go hungry.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Burt is spot on about why some people do not care for niggards.

However, many people refrain from using the word niggardly as they feel that it is not politically correct as it sounds too much like that heinous racist word. To that I say poppycock, if not balderdash! The etymology of niggardly/niggard is believed to date back to the late 14th century in Scandanavia and has nothing to do with ones ethnicity/color of skin. So, I think that it is a shame that a perfectly acceptable word at times is dismissed as being improper as a result of either ignorance of its meaning/etymology or that in historically, past and present, racist countries, specifically the USA, that political correctness oftentimes supersedes correct linguistic choices.

I doubt if anybody refrains from using a similar word in meaning, parsimonious. because it sounds too much like persimmon. Think about it, please.

Speaking of the meaning of words, do any of you find the following examples of words to be confusing?:"Is a female sheep a ewe, yew, or you? When you accept something, do you except it or accept it? Is a surplus an excess or an access? When you get rid of something, do you exercise it or exorcise it? When you speed up, do you exhilarate or accelerate?" I don't and I suspect that most everyone reading RT do not ether. So, as to why the author thinks that those words are confusing I don't no as it gives me paws to ponder the whey in which those words were chosen as causing possible contusion.

Page 51 of 72 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 71 72

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.