Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#793502 11/19/12 10:22 PM
M o e Offline OP
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Yesterday I was reading a post on Facebook by a blogger I have been following for some time. She started off with how she has grown to accept the every day hate messages she receives as par for the course of being a plus size blogger. That is until she received this weeks message which said "you should probably kill yourself."

I can't for the life of me imagine how a person's life could be so bad that they have nothing better to do all day then to post messages like this to people they don't know -- even to say this to someone they do know -- pathetic.

It is a cowardice way to live a life. Luckily the person they sent it too is a strong person who is happy with herself and her life. She's married, has two pets, a successful career. She oozes sweetness and I feel bad that she had to experience this sadness even for a moment.

I feel bad for anyone who has had to suffer through this and any other kind of cyber bullying in all its degrees. It is unacceptable.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Moe,

I think that any kind of bullying is bad. Unfortunately cyber bullying makes it easier because people hide behind a computer and say mean and hurtful things.

The story that you have mentioned reminds me of a similar story that I heard about recently. It involved Jennifer Livingston a local Wisconsin news anchor who received a very nasty email from a viewer regarding her weight. She went on air and responded to the viewer and I absolutely loved her response. The video is only 4 minutes long.

New Anchor responds to viewer's email

M o e Offline OP
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Maria,

It is unfortunate that anonymity seems to turn people hateful "trolls" -- supposedly there are actual groups out there that do this for the fun of the reaction. But there are many who do not hide their face and feel they are "doing it for your own good". Kind of like the polite-ish letter Jennifer received this summer -- we talked about her a lot on Facebook and Twitter. Thanks for posting the link for visitors.

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I've often wondered what compels a person to deliberately want to hurt a stranger. It seems so odd to me. I can at least get my mind around why someone might want to put down an abusive ex-husband, for example. But a stranger? The stranger never did anything at all to them. What gain is there in life to cause harm to someone who hasn't even been met?

I think the only thing I can come up with is that the person in question feels unhappy for some reason. They see others around them who are happy and they feel even worse in comparison. So they seek to damage the other peoples' happiness. And then maybe they feel a sense of "Hah now they're unhappy just like me, we are in this together". So it makes them feel a little better, to think they're not alone. And since that dose of "feeling better" was fairly easy and effective, it trains them to do it again.

And in a way that sort of makes sense. If that unhappy person started abusing an actual sister or mother, there'd be consequences. But abusing a stranger, there are few consequences. So they get the "benefit" with little "danger".

So I would think one way to prevent it is to remove their reward. Their aim is to make the person unhappy. If it's demonstrated that the targeted person is still just as happy, and that this activity has no effect, maybe they will move on and try something else, like actually addressing whatever root problem is making them unhappy.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
N
N
Bullies are just evil like any other kind of criminal. They are all worthless and should get what they do to their victims. That is why I believe in karma because our justice system is not only a joke it is also catering to criminals so they have to get what they deserve somehow. I have zero pity for them and also zero compassion. My empathy goes to the victims and people who are not heartless.

Moderated by  Nicole - Large & Lovely 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.