Next Thread
Print Thread
#764104 05/22/12 05:29 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
28th May and this next Monday is MEMORIAL DAY - who do you think of on this auspicious and respectful day? Are your thoughts general for humanity? Are they more particular for your family ... or perhaps a friend's family? Or maybe you have another reason?

Somewhere in the world tragedy is unfolding itself.

I do not mean to be sad at all, but just because, I am posting this poem as a sober exercise in Rememberance and Respect.

Armed Forces Day has just passed and Veterens Day still to come, but for all, I stand in silence and I salute all those who protect me from the dark.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
AFERMATH by Siegfried Sassoon (1919)

Have you forgotten yet?...
For the world�s events have rumbled on since those gagged days,
Like traffic checked while at the crossing of city-ways:
And the haunted gap in your mind has filled with thoughts that flow
Like clouds in the lit heaven of life; and you�re a man reprieved to go,
Taking your peaceful share of Time, with joy to spare.

But the past is just the same-and War�s a bloody game...
Have you forgotten yet?...
Look down, and swear by the slain of the War that you�ll never forget.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Now what has this got to do with CONTAINER GARDENING?

Nothing really except to say that I have re-featured growing a container of Poppies and I am sure somewhere someone will do this and enjoy their friendly and easy-going beauty.

Let us know if you decide to do so and how you get along - I would really love that. Just scroll down to visit the site and read or re-read the article. Maybe it will inspire you to do something on Monday in your garden for Memoral Day?

Greetings

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello Everyone,

There are several days on the annual global calendar that 'celebrate' the lives lost in the almost countless battles and wars and conflict that the world has suffered. Armistice Day has just passed but scattered throughout the year there are the others like Armed Forces Day, Veterens Day and Memorial Day. And then there are those of the individual countries which have their own names ... usually along the lines of 'Fallen Heroes Day' or 'Freedom Day' or even at a stretch Thanksgiving Day.

The red poppy seems to have become a symbol of this/these and yes, many have acknowledged this, but I was surprised the other day to go to one of the meetings of a Military History Society to see how much more is being done with the 'red poppy' symbol - and how it is being embraced by all sorts of parties for many different reasons.

I saw a dinner service with the red poppy emblazoned on one side (plates and mugs too etc); Calendars for 2013 with an only red poppy theme made up of photographs and line drawings etc; 3-D porcelain poppies to hang on the walls for home decor, hug red poppy-designs on curtaining materials and then dress materials too Of course so much more too like candles etc etc and so on , but the point has been made.

In discussion at the club meeting, besides the prettiness of the flower, the background war symbolism is being rendered in other ways that make remembering the loss of loved ones an easier one to use and more of an everyday phenomenon these days. Or that what is seems is happening.

What do you think? I would be interested if you have any specific opinion. Do you think it is a good idea to use this 'symbol' of loss pain and suffering for everyday items or do you think the two are not connected? Would you put up a mural of poppies, use materials, eat off poppy plates etc?

Just really interested in your thoughts and say thanks,

Cheers

Thanks

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.