Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
elina, lah123, jennifer888, Anne Seyer, RoseEnglish
57008 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57009 Members
417 Forums
112550 Topics
795712 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 720
Beetlemess 616
Karm - SW USA Editor 352
Nancy Roussy 178
Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 165
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 136
Allyson - USACook/HomeCook 125
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 123
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 109
Linu 104
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#702840 - 07/20/11 11:39 PM Characteristics of a Distance Learner
Elizabeth-Distance Learn Offline
Jellyfish

The past decade has seen a large increase in the number of students who are distance learners. During that time the characteristics of distance learners has changed in some ways.

Read the article here:
Characteristics of a Distance Learner

Do you have a heterogeneous mix of students in your classes? Do you find advantages to that?

Add Characteristics of a Distance Learner to Twitter Add Characteristics of a Distance Learner to Facebook Add Characteristics of a Distance Learner to MySpace Add Characteristics of a Distance Learner to Del.icio.us Digg Characteristics of a Distance Learner Add Characteristics of a Distance Learner to Yahoo My Web Add Characteristics of a Distance Learner to Google Bookmarks Add Characteristics of a Distance Learner to Stumbleupon Add Characteristics of a Distance Learner to Reddit
#702841 - 07/20/11 11:50 PM Re: Characteristics of a Distance Learner [Re: Elizabeth-Distance Learn]
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: United Kingdom
I've never done distance teaching, but a lot of distance learning.

The first was an Open University (UK) degree in their early days when the technology needed was a television, a radio, an alarm clock, postage stamps and knowing where a mailbox was! (The clock was because before video recorders were common, the lectures on the TV were at unsocial hours.) Hurrah for the Internet!

http://www.bellaonline.com/newsletter/astronomy

Add Re: Characteristics of a Distance Learner to Twitter Add Re: Characteristics of a Distance Learner to Facebook Add Re: Characteristics of a Distance Learner to MySpace Add Re: Characteristics of a Distance Learner to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Characteristics of a Distance Learner Add Re: Characteristics of a Distance Learner to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Characteristics of a Distance Learner to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Characteristics of a Distance Learner to Stumbleupon Add Re: Characteristics of a Distance Learner to Reddit
#703851 - 07/26/11 08:40 PM Re: Characteristics of a Distance Learner [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Elizabeth-Distance Learn Offline
Jellyfish

Hi Mona,
That must have been fun - getting up at all hours to watch your course on television!

I never took any courses that were televised. Before the internet, the ones that I took were mailed out to me and the lectures for the course were all on audio tapes. That was rather boring - not nearly as interesting as seeing the lecture on television and maybe some video or pictures that matched the topic at the same time. But at least it was a chance for me to take a course and at least I didn't have to get up too early to watch during the night or early morning.

Add Re: Characteristics of a Distance Learner to Twitter Add Re: Characteristics of a Distance Learner to Facebook Add Re: Characteristics of a Distance Learner to MySpace Add Re: Characteristics of a Distance Learner to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Characteristics of a Distance Learner Add Re: Characteristics of a Distance Learner to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Characteristics of a Distance Learner to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Characteristics of a Distance Learner to Stumbleupon Add Re: Characteristics of a Distance Learner to Reddit
#731508 - 12/16/11 06:27 PM Re: Characteristics of a Distance Learner [Re: Elizabeth-Distance Learn]
JamesW Offline

This is a really interesting topic to me. So thanks for all the enlightening discussion. What do you think some of the differences are between managing the success of online and traditional classroom students? Do you know if these issues are being discussed anywhere?

#731930 - 12/19/11 05:24 AM Re: Characteristics of a Distance Learner [Re: Elizabeth-Distance Learn]
The Expert12 Offline

In my opinion, technical skills are the first component of learner readiness for e-learning that occurs to many people. Whereas technical skills are certainly important, research and opinion reported in the literature indicates that readiness for self-direction in learning, or the ability to manage one's own learning, is even more important.

#732213 - 12/20/11 12:05 AM Re: Characteristics of a Distance Learner [Re: Elizabeth-Distance Learn]
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

I like that the fellow students are primarily people in their 30s and 40s who have experience in life. I get much more out of a discussion about "health business practices" with people who have been in business for a while, vs with an 18 year old who has never worked anywhere yet. So I do appreciate that my fellow students are "mature" experience individuals.

I also agree that they need to be self-starting.

Lisa

#779563 - 08/27/12 09:56 PM Re: Characteristics of a Distance Learner [Re: Elizabeth-Distance Learn]
CamillaPriestly Offline

#783486 - 09/21/12 12:52 PM Re: Characteristics of a Distance Learner [Re: Elizabeth-Distance Learn]
vijaykumar Offline

It is a motivation topic to everyone. I thing Students who do not give up easily when faced with challenging materials and are able to prioritize their workload will more likely be successful distance learners.

#787035 - 10/10/12 02:16 AM Re: Characteristics of a Distance Learner [Re: Elizabeth-Distance Learn]
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Yes absolutely self discipline is key. If I don't do the homework, there's nobody here to make me. I would simply fail the course.

#793651 - 11/20/12 08:40 PM Re: Characteristics of a Distance Learner [Re: Elizabeth-Distance Learn]
deegeezio Offline

Wow, I feel like I fit all those categories - rural area, woman, over 25 and self-disciplined. Thanks for the post.

Moderator:  Patricia - DL 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Replace one word (Music Titles)
by Beetlemess
Comedy Movies
3 minutes 29 seconds ago
New game
by Beetlemess
History
7 minutes 28 seconds ago
Is There Anything To Forgive
by Debbie-SpiritualityEditor
Philosophy
9 minutes 47 seconds ago
Are Our Hormones Making Us Crazy
Philosophy
11 minutes 32 seconds ago
Word From Last Letter Game
by Beetlemess
Contests & Sweepstakes
16 minutes 32 seconds ago
Surrender Or Resistance
Philosophy
16 minutes 51 seconds ago
Shopping at Walmart Game
by Beetlemess
Home Finance
17 minutes 51 seconds ago
What Purpose Do Relationships Serve
Philosophy
23 minutes 1 second ago
Is Health Pre-Determined
Philosophy
31 minutes 30 seconds ago
Is Time Now Or Eternal
Philosophy
36 minutes 21 seconds ago
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 87 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.