Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#785139 09/28/12 11:09 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Did you all know that there is a North American Hedgehog Government? First begun by Thelma of Niger, known as The Grand Dowager hedgehog (International Hedgehog Registry Number 929) in 1998, she first engaged Major General Spikers (IHR 1248) as the first hedgehog military commander with a mission to "combat animal abuse" in forming up the 2d Hedgehog Marine Division (Mechanized). Then, along came the need for civilian governance over the military, but when no hedgehog could be found in the USA that had the authoritative bearing to oversee the military, the search for a Secretary of Defense failed and the organized hedgehog community settled on a big old no-nonsense hedgehog in Toronto named Renfield - as Le Ministre du Defense. It was then decided that a Head of State was needed and since the precedent had been set, the organized hedgehog community of North America decided on a Monarch. The selection of the Monarch is almost as complicated as the succession to the British Crown. It was decided that the longest serving Permanent Grand Champion of the International Hedgehog Association IHA) shall be offered the Monarchy (it's a tough job, so not all may accept). If there are no surviving Permanent Grand Champions (it involves a long road to winning hedgehog show awards), the Throne passes to the most senior Minister, of which there are now five (Le Ministre du Defense, Justice, Health, Foreign Affairs, and the Ministrare Temporalis - the Minister of Time and Tradition and Advisor to the Crown). The Monarch presides over hedgehog shows, appoints ministers, approves senior military promotions and assignments, and writes the editorial called "The Royal Quill" for the International Hedgehog Association's bi-monthly newsletter (email me for a sample copy). To date there have been fifteen Monarchs, the first being King Waylon I, IHA's first Permanent Grand Champion and, to date, the only albino hedgehog to wear the Crown. The presently serving Monarch, King Gromit of Arlington, was installed in October, 2011 upon the death of Queen Louella of Lafayette, the XIV Monarch. King Gromit is unique in that he won many show awards in spite of the fact of his horrific beginnings - as he was one of the 730 hedgehogs (among 27,000 exotic animals) seized from the death camp known as U.S. Global Exotics in Arlinmgton, Texas on december 16, 2009. King Gromit lives in Naperville, Illinois. The entire history of the hedgehog Government of North America can be seen on our rescue's web site at www.hedgieflash.com on the Waylon page. The history of the hedgehog military may also be seen on the Major General Spikers page (the military has grown quite a bit since the early days). Best wishes, Z. G. Standing Bear at the Flash and Thelma Memorial Hedgehog rescue, Inc., in Divide, Colorado USA history of the hedgehog Government of North America

Last edited by Diana-Exotic Pets Editor; 10/01/12 02:11 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
I vote for General Spikers for President of the United States. We would have a good chance to stop animal abuse if we all wrote Major General Spikers in as a write-in candidate!

The two star general helmet is adorable! Please everyone, spend some time on the above website you will be glad you did. Very informative but will give you a smile every few seconds smile

M
OP Offline
M
Major General Spikers was a colorful and endearing character, but passed on into that Great Country of Souls in November, 2000, to command the XX Hedgehog Corps (The Ghost Corps). But he left behind a great hedgehog military tradition now populated by an expanded hedgehog military presence. The present senior hedgehog military commander is General Astrid Hermoine, commander of the North American Continental Hedgehog Command (NORAMCONHEDGECOM). Best wishes, Z. G. Standing Bear

Koala
Koala
Then I guess you will have to be the write-in candidate:) I enjoyed your Hedgehog Governement site a great deal and encourage everyone to check it out. Hedgehog Government

You have put a tremendous amount of thought and effort into your Flash and Thelma Memorial Hedgehog Rescue. Each of the hedgehogs listed and their personalities came through so beautifully. I also was quite interested in the Swartzies.

M
OP Offline
M
Swartzie the hedgehog was named after a South African hedgehog of the same name that was orphaned (his Mom was run over on a highway)and raised from infancy by a biologist in South Africa. The original Swartzie ("Blackie") was released into a wildife preserve when he could fend for himself. His photo is represented on the Hedgehog Central web site (www.hedgehogcentral.com)under the "hedgehogs around the world" category under the South African hedgehog. The American Swartzie was a very rare black Algerian hedgehog (at the end of the color spectrum) who is also pictured on www.hedgehogcentral.com in the colors section. The American Swartzie did get a "romantic vacation" with a Permanent Grand Champion hedgehog named Showtyme. Their union produced a litter of five babies, but the breeder stopped breeding when Showtyme died of childbirth complications afterwards. Of the litter of five, as far as I know, only three remain. Swartzie (the Dad) died of intestinal cancer at age three and one of his sons, Varkie, who lived here, also died of intestinal cancer at age three and a half. Another son, Swartzie, Jr., who also lives here, is doing well and is on our educational "Road Crew" and is approaching age four. Swartzie, Jr., is a dark gray Algerian hedgehog and is close to his Dad's coloring. Best wishes, Z. G. Standing Bear

Koala
Koala
Thank you for the run down the Swartizie. I love the color pattern in the face, really cute. Is the intestinal cancer common? I am seeing a lot of animals with cancer. Especially it seems, ferrets! Many of my friends have dogs and cats with cancer. Do you have theories as to why?

M
OP Offline
M
Well, Diana, we suspect that cancers and the notorious "wobbly hedgehog syndrome" (WHS)(a degenerative myelopathy similar to multiple sclerosis)is elevated in hedgehogs that have ancestors that were inbred by profiteers that sought profits from mass breeding. Fortunately, I think we are seeing fewer cases of WHS over the past few years. But the mass hedgehog breeders are still out there and they could not care less for the welfare of the animals they are producing and selling. Best wishes, Z. G. Standing Bear

C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
This is interesting.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Koala
Koala
MGSpikers,

I have seen a lot of cancer in mass produced ferrets, also ferrets spayed and neutered much to young. Especially the adrenal cancer. I can note the differences from where my ferrets have been bred. Far more problems with some of the big breeders.

Koala
Koala
MGSpikers,
I was going to email you except for I don't seem to have your email on my new computer. I wanted to check to see how you were doing after your surgery. Everything ok? Please email so that I can get your email address in my address book. Thanking about you!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.