Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello Everyone,

It is not long to the year end holidays - in fact there are people here already going away (as I suppose in many other places) so that they can be home for the Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year periods.

Regardless, if you are going to be away this next few weeks have you made arrangements with family neighbours and friends to help you with watering of your containers?

If there is no-one to help have you thought of other ways to solve your watering needs? Members of a garden circle or club? Does your local nursery or garden centre have a service? What about the local 'Church' group? Domestic helpers?

Of course during the winter time, plants do not need as much watering as they do in summer, so that may be helpful for many too, though the containers need to be protected wherever anyway.

Hope you can get sorted out and say cheers,

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi there,

Is there anyone living in Australia or New Zealand or the Islands etc who is reading this? Please say hi somehow and let me know? Am also wanting to hear from you all but for this from Europe or Canada particularly. Actually, I am getting tied up in my own words now!

My question to you all is when do the holidays actually start where you live? School terms are over here in South Africa and the exams have nearly all been written if not already over bar the marking and results. Our school and Uni year starts in January which I know is different from USA.

In South Africa we have a public holiday every year on December 16th which also unofficially marks the beginning of the holiday season, all the trades people 'shut down' so I was interested in finding out if there is something similar in your neck of the woods.

Do you have extended holiday periods or do you mainly work through with a couple of days off and the week between Christmas and new Year being the short break taken?

Do tell and I say thanks

Last edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens; 12/02/12 10:02 PM.

Container Gardening Site

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi There,

Whomever you get to water your plants over your holiday season - just make sure they know and check that the pots are getting enough water so that the ROOTS get it - or you may as well not water at all.

Sometimes, even though water comes out of the drainage holes and you think the plant has had enough, the soil is or may be too porous and the roots of the plant do not get enough.

Cheers and happy watering!

Container Gardening Site

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi everyone,

I came across another watering idea the other day - clay soil!

Yep, I have not tried it but will do so anyway and report back but I met a lady who 'imports' some clay soil from a farmer friend of hers. This she puts into one or two of those shellac children's play pools (or sandpits) then soaks the clay well.

Into this she 'snuggles' her bark-mulched pot plants. She says the clay slowly gives up the water and her plants survive quite happily in dappled shade; and she is happy on holiday without worrying about her plants as well. So far she has been away for up to three weeks on a hop and has suffered no loss of plants or herbs.

Have you ever heard about this 'holiday watering' method?

As soon as I can find a source of clay I am going to try and see what I see - away on holiday or not!

Anyway, if you have come across any other kind of watering tip that is new for you and good for travellers and/or away-from homers, please share it here and I say thanks. If it is new for you it could be new for other gardeners, so sharing will get the message out there and help others too.

By the way if you are asking the same questions that I did - then I will tell you that she uses water wicks for her larger containers.

Cheers now

Container Gardening Site

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.