Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I wrote 2226 words today for total of 7081 total. Again I wrote for about an hour today.

The suspect field is being laid out . I have a dead body and have introduced the names of the three main suspects. I've also introduced more fully the couple who are my "helpers" in the story. I'm trying to be cautious to introduce people slowly so readers can relate to them.

Going forward the heroine will meet each suspect, one by one, to start examining them.

My thought, with this being a series, is that the elderly couple will be recurring characters, as will be the ranger. So I want to make sure I spend time on them and have them become "known".

I do still have at least two more fairly main characters I want to introduce - the dead man's best friend, and the dead man's son. So I'll be tackling those tomorrow I think.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I didn't post for Day 4 so I'll do that now.

My son James came over for a surprise visit so Sunday was busy. I spent time with my son all day. Then at 4:30 I had to go running out to make it to dinner with my mom, as her birthday was recently. Then I drove back home again and spent an hour writing up the storyline for the day.

I had dinner with my mom in Newport, RI - a lovely historic town on the ocean - so I incorporated that into my story. I also added dialogue with my ranger on the way to and from the restaurant, to move the story along.

I enjoyed it immensely, building in the lovely sunset and the bridges over Jamestown into the storyline.

I wrote for an hour, and wrote 3,266 words. My total is now 10,347 words.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Day 5 was another challenge for me. The forums had issues I needed to take care of. Normally I'm a night owl but recently I've been on a "reasonably sane" schedule and going to bed about midnight. So when I had to force myself to stay awake until 6am to do forum repair I was beyond exhausted. Then I woke up at 2pm still very groggy, and having to do more coding and fixing. It was rough work. Finally at 6pm things were falling into place and I took another nap. When I woke fresh at 9:30pm I was starting to feel human again. So I set aside an hour for the writing.

I ended up writing for 50 minutes, to work on a "burial scene". This introduced another character - the son of the slain man - and reinforced the ones I'd already introduced. So the story was starting to move along now. I had wanted to go out to the cemetery today, but I was just too tired to go anywhere. I'd been there before, so I wrote based on that. I can always go out after NaNoWriMo is done and add in a few more details. But the base is there.

I'm very pleased with how the plot is progressing and the characters are developing. I like my nature-based touches and the atmosphere.

I wrote 2,217 words today, for a total of 12,560.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Here's an image of what NaNoWriMo displays for tracking. I enjoy it immensely - it motivates me to come back every day!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Day 6 was election day. So this held its own challenges. I voted, then we went to a local dairy farm shop, then we went to a local restaurant. The place was *deserted*. We were literally the only people there. But it added extra atmosphere for what I was writing. So that is intriguing. I wrote for an hour and added 3025 words to my story, for a total of 15585.

This restaurant was my "first of three suspects" interview. So the story is definitely moving forward.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Day 7 - a full week of mystery story writing! This has been great fun. Today I wrote 2,512 words for a total of 18,097 words.

Today was a "background filler" day which was slower for me to write. It wasn't about visiting a scene and writing out what I saw. Instead, we delved into the mystery itself, looking for clues on a computer's hard drive.

I incorporated the snow that was falling outside, and the chickadee I saw.

How are you guys doing on your stories? How has the first week gone? How is your mystery unwinding?

I have another "filler" day tomorrow, because then Friday I'm going to interrogate suspect 2 at a local restaurant. So I have that dinner date set up to go and that should be easy, to have an actual interesting location to write up and describe. So between today and tomorrow I have to figure out what tomorrow's chapter will be about. I wanted to do another day of hiking around in woods, but with the snowstorm that doesn't seem likely.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Day 8 of my mystery story. I'm into plot explanation which isn't what I adore, but of course it has to be done smile. I wove in the birds in my windows, the sushi Bob brought home with me, and references to A Place in the Sun.

I'm up to 20,254 words, and wrote 2,157 today.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Day 9 was fun - I ate at a local restaurant with friends. In the story, I grill suspect #2 of 3 here. We learn more about the background of the characters and about a tragic accident that happened in the late 60s.

This "fake story" tragedy is interwoven with an actual real-life murder that happened in Sutton in the 30s which was very much like the A Place in the Sun story. That movie was based on A American Tragedy, a novel. And that novel was based on a real murder in New York in the early 1900s. So it's all quite fascinating.

That now makes me wonder how much I should include of the 1930s "real life" murder in my story. Apparently the daughter of the murdered woman is still alive. The murder was covered in nearly all US papers at the time, so it was quite well known. But I don't want to upset the current family members.

Is anybody else talking about real life events in their stories?

Low Carb Forum
E
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
E
This is Day 10 and I'm ahead of the game. Yeah! Haven't written anything towards NaNo yet today, but will by the end of the day.

Word count as of yesterday was 18102.

I'm still writing a series of short stories for the challenge and it's really interesting what comes up when I use prompts.

How are you doing?

Last edited by Edie - MysteryBooksEd; 11/10/12 02:39 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
That's fascinating, Edie, so are you doing a story a day, or working on a story for a few days then starting a new one?

Low Carb Forum
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Edie - MysteryBooksEd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.