Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
In terms of drugs, the original Holmes was addicted to cocaine and morphine. So think about Jane Austen and stories like that - and then not too much later in time we suddenly have a "detective hero" who is using hard drugs. It was meant to be a hard boiled, rough, on-the-edge story for adults about a character who crossed the line.

I think in modern times we think of Sherlock Holmes stories as "gentle" and "cute" because they're set in "olden times". But in its day Holmes was a rough, fringe-of-society type of character, and I think a lot of that sense has gotten lost over the years. So I think some recent tellings are trying to regain that feel, which means they have to change up the characters to do that. If they simply have an old style man it doesn't feel "edgy" any more. Even the movies still have a dated, quaint feel to them.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
I've never thought as Sherlock as gentle or cute, I read the original stories when I was young because both of my parents recommended them. My mom for literary reason, my dad as a psychologist. He considers them well ahead of their time as a character analysis study about being very intelligent and some of the personality disorders that can arise from that. Sherlock was always flawed, always a very dark character in a lot of ways. This is a better time in entertainment to show that side of his character, because anti-heroes and complicated characters are very popular. As far as Dr. Watson goes, he was always very smart in the books, not as smart as Sherlock, and not as troubled, and more mainstreamed in a way that people could understand and identify with him.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Shala -

I definitely agree that in the original stories Sherlock was fairly dark, had his strengths and weaknesses, and was not quite "social".

I think in many ways that modern characters like House and Monk are very much like him. They often have their focus on the problem rather than on the people.

Low Carb Forum
E
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
E
I can see House as very much like Holmes the way you explain above. The anti-hero, but in a very conflicted way - they both have drugs in common, for example.

I've always enjoyed the mystery part of the Holmes legacy, and in hindsight have generally ignored his drug use/abuse. I wonder how many others have done the same.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
That's my objection to the CBS version of Holmes. For these script writers, the drug use and sleaziness takes precedence over intelligence and decency. It's the modern culture. Your comparison to House is apt. The CBS character is very like House. I find them equally repellant and unwatchable.

Maeve Maddox
School Reform
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Maeve -

We definitely all have our lines we draw, and that is great! We are all different people which means we have a nice variety of shows on TV that appeal to different groups.

For example, my boyfriend loves Dexter. I used to watch it, but I just can't watch it any more. I don't enjoy some of the violence. I try to live a peaceful and serene life, and the violence upsets me too much. So now I know not to watch it, and I am much happier. There are many other fantastic shows I can watch, and I have barely any free time as it is, so I want to make sure the few shows I watch are just perfect for me.

It's nice that we live in a world that has such a wide selection, so we can each choose the shows that align just right with our desires and interests.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
My dad's degrees are in human behavior, sociology and psychology and his career before it got too stressful was in the addiction field as a social worker, so that was the discussion of Sherlock Holmes when I was young and reading them, from that point of view. It wasn't until it was assigned reading in English that there was a focus on the mysteries.

Our experiences shape so much of what we take out of literature or cinema that when it's really well done, 2 people can walk away with completely different impressions of what something was all about. It's really wonderful to get the insight from others!

My teenage Anglophile daughter dislikes Elementary except for the clothes, and adores the BBC Sherlock (dressed as him for Halloween this year!) - she's more interested in him as an intellectual than as a hero, so she remembers the subtle humor and puzzles more than the mysteries or the flaws.

E
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
E
Maeve, I agree in that those shows are unwatchable. When House was new I watched it for about a season or so, but it kept getting darker and the storylines and the main character just turned me off.

I've not watched the latest Sherlock on TV, but I keep an eye out for reviews and articles about the series. So, I can't speak of their current content. But if they are anything like House, then there is a reason why I've not wanted to check out the show.

Thank you for your comments - they are very much appreciated. Sounds like you and I are on the same page; and I'm sure we are not the only ones.

E
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
E
Lisa, we certainly do have our preferences. For example, I like the cast members of Criminal Minds but I have a difficult time watching the show due to the extent of the brutality. If it weren't for that, I would consistently watch the show just for the interaction of the characters.

E
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
E
Shala, that's really interesting that you and your family have had such detailed discussions about Sherlock Holmes. I also find it interesting that your daughter holds the opinion she does. Sounds like a very thoughtful daughter who knows her own mind. In this case, I would agree with her as I like the British Holmes as well.

Thank you for sharing your history regarding this character.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Edie - MysteryBooksEd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.