Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
E
As we have been hearing for a while now, the "new" Sherlock Holmes is coming to TV this fall. Thursday nights beginning Sept. 27th at 10:00 pm ET/PT on CBS.

Whoever coined it as "new" was not kidding - while actor Jonny Lee Miller is playing the new Sherlock Holmes, actress Lucy Liu is playing Dr. Joan Watson - definitely new.

The setting is also new as they will be working with the New York City police department helping with their most difficult cases.

I'm looking forward to this updated version of one of the most famous detective stories ever - what about you?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Edie,
Well, I watched the first episode. Can't say I was too enchanted. I'm a real Holmes fan. I love the London update with Benedict Cumberbatch. Can hardly wait for more. This one, however, does not please. It may be that London is too much of a character on its own to make a transplant to NYC successful. But there's also Jonny Lee Miller's strung-out interpretation and his unshaven, slovenly looks. Doyle's Holmes was often abrupt, but I can't imagine him causing a disruption at the opera.

I'll give it a second try, but I have a feeling that this is one that won't see me a third time.

Maeve Maddox
School Reform
B
Parakeet
Parakeet
B
We watched this one and it's definitely different. I've never watched or read many of the originals tho, so I liked this show all right.

E
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
E
Maeve and Boomer Girl, this version of Holmes is definitely different. Sometimes the old tried-and-true are the ones we enjoy the best.

Appreciate your comments. And, Maeve, I'm glad you are giving it another try and would like to hear your response.

S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
Yes, old is truly gold. I didnt like this Monk/House version of SH, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle would probably be offended!

SADHANA GINDE, Indian Food Editor

BellaOnline Training Manager, BellaOnline Forum Admin, BellaOnine FB Admin :-)

Indian Food Website

Dont forget to sign up for the Indian Food Newsletter!
E
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
E
I've not heard a lot of good reviews about this version. Has anyone else seen this show? Would love to hear what you think.

I do think it is interesting that they created a female Dr. Watson - how do you feel about that? Or, should they have stayed with the original concept?

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
We adore all the versions of Holmes. We've seen all the different movie versions, TV versions, and we watched House and Monk. I think Sir Arthur would have loved how much his ideas took off - he was quite the fan of innovation and trying new things!

This new version is definitely different, which is good. It brings yet a fresh new audience in to learning about Holmes and then studying all the different versions. With all the teasing about Holmes and Watson being sexually together (which the BBC version plays off on to my great delight) this promotes it on a different level.

I love that Watson has a brain. Some versions (and "many" versions, really) tend to play Watson as completely brainless. But he is, after all, a doctor, and therefore more educated and trained than the vast majority of humans. He is only "slow" compared with Holmes' brilliance. So I like that here Watson is shown as having that acuity.

We of course need an "audience stand-in" - i.e. someone Holmes can explain his brilliant theories to. That's what Watson is there for. But I don't think Watson was ever meant to be a dullard in the least, which some TV versions seem to lean him towards.

Holmes was always "on the fringe". In Victorian times his actions seemed wild. In modern times we see him as "normal" - which is a shame. We have lost his wildness. I think this new show regains his wildness and reminds us of what his character probably looked like to his contemporary audiences.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
E
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
E
In some of the versions, Holmes is so full of drugs that he can hardly think straight. I understand they need a certain character trait, but it seems they carry it too far. How can he solve cases when he is so wasted? Also, not a good influence on younger people who may be watching. I do like this version, and you are right that is is written from a contemporary viewpoint.

Gecko
Gecko
I am enjoying the interplay between Holmes and Watson in the US version, I have a theory that whatever the most common ailment in the new is, such as autism spectrum disorder, is what makes up contemporary characters like the US Holmes, House and Monk. I think that explains the characteristics of the new Holmes. I'm not sure I like that, but I am enjoying the show.

The BBC version is simply marvelous.

And I too love that the Watsons in both are intelligent in their own right!

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Knitting Guild of Santa Cruz
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
E
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
E
You made an interesting point regarding whatever the most common ailment in the news is, makes up contemporary characters. I've never thought of that, but it does make sense (as far as supposing that's what writers do). I'll have to keep my eyes open to see if indeed that is how they "update" the character.

I've always enjoyed the British Sherlock Holmes, especially the older versions.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Edie - MysteryBooksEd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.