http://shanlung.livejournal.com/140773.html

Warmest regards

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Originally Posted By: shanlung
Hi Diana,

It will be nice to know you. As you get to know more of me, you will probably agree that folks should not do what I do in general.

Needless to say, taking your birdie with you outside to fly freely in the sky should not be done. Or taking them out to ride with you on motorbike should not be done either.

However there are some things that they should give some thoughts to doing.

I have noticed many warnings about recalls of commercial birdie food and pellets. I leave aside commenting on the additives in them to enable long life.

That folks should think of making their own food for their birdie, food made with care and love and never ever subjected to recalls.

Read
Morning with Harry & the decision// Sultan of Oman Palace// Tinkerbell Mash Batch 7
http://shanlung.livejournal.com/109957.html

You might even want to do the same for your birdies too.

Birdies (and beasties too) should be approached with understanding. I find many problems might go away if folks take their birdies as their equals, or even as their trainers instead of the other way around

Try to find the time to read
Tinkerbell Legacy - - Rant 03 (a flighted parrot mentality) & Understanding the mind of your grey
http://shanlung.livejournal.com/2187.html

You probably will agree with more of what I said in there.

Warmest regards

Shanlung
山 龍
Mountain Dragon

I am just worried this might be missed as folks go to latest page. So I am quoting this to bring it to the front

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Shanlung,
I will read both of your recommendations and I look forward to it. I already see all birds and beasties as my equals. As I have done so I have gained a better understanding. The closer the relationship the better the understanding.

I would like to see your views on recalls and commercial bird foods I would especially love it if you would educate us all on making food at home for healthier and happier birds. Perhaps you would like to start a tread on homemade food and begin teaching us?

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Shanlung,

I am enjoying the free flight photos they are amazing! Also the diet is perfect as a parrot diet. I also use homegrown sprouts. After I get a few things done today I want to spend some serious time reading this. I also have my little granddaughter today, first time since my spine surgery so this should be interesting! I would like for you to do a lesson on diet though. After I am full fledged editor in Birds perhaps you could do a guest article? I am also the exotic pets editor and have been at least this time around about three years. I had been the exotic pets editor here once before in the past. Thank you for sharing this incredible information!

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Shanlung, You have provided me with some of the best reading and useful information that I have found for a very long time. Thank you very much!

Diana

Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Diana,

I am sorry to hear of your back problems. I have very good friends with that and I know how much of an issue that can be. I wish you full recovery.

You should also know I am very envious that you have a grand daughter. I am at wits end and hoping my son will give me one. Son or daughter, I just love to have one.

Those two that you just read will be the key articles. First to the overall health via food, and the other to their mental and emotional well being. And I have to add, our own emotional well being too.

I have to say recalls are not difficult at all. But the groundwork must be done.

You must be attractive to the birdie that the birdie will like to come to you in the first place. That the birdie has the trust in you and birdie decided that going to you is pleasurable.

Riamfada was a wild caught CAG as seen in her open leg ring. She was a rescue and given to my charge when she was about 5-6 years old. She came to me bitey and fearful.
In about a year, she was doing free flights to me in the open.

Yingshiong above is a white rumped shama. A shama is a songbird. He was caught from the wild at about 3 years old. He was given into my charge at about 5 years old. He flew to me on cue within a month of coming to me. Breeders of shamas told me even their breed shamas , some they hand raised, never ever landed on them. They told me above was the first ever they seen of a male shama landing on a human.

Libai is a Greater Greenleaf song bird. Caught from the wild and probably about 3 years old or so when he came to me.

Even wild caught and old birds can be so easily trained and bonded if you know how.

Understanding them is the first and most important step that can be taken.
That is the most fundamental truth in looking after birds.

The white rumped shama and the Greater Greenleaf bird are classified as aviary birds. I am not even sure what that meant. I think humans are too prone to classifying things and thereby ending the understanding of things.

All birds, even within the same species , will be different. So I cannot make general projections even to the same specy from what I have done from one.

But it can be seen from my careful recordings that I took great care in slowly presenting myself to the different birds. In a room that is safely sealed and that they can fly in. With space that they can fly away from me, and that they only fly to me should they so wish.

When they have the space to avoid you if they so wish, the birdie will be a lot less fearful of you.

I would take a book into their room, and just read, not even making or trying to make eye contact for the first few days.

Only when I sensed they approach me do I even make eye contact.

In the position of equality, they were fed well. I made a point to interact with them after I gave them breakfast. It will be a mockery to say one is equal , and then use food, or denial of food, to pressure them to come to you. All their training were done after breakfast given to them. In some cases, they even break from training with me to fly back to their cage to continue their breakfast and then fly back to me. And yet their recalls to me, and respond to other cues were almost all done with split second military precision.

It was only when they were used to me and my presence, and come willingly to me, that I started training the recall process.

All my birdies had to demonstrate they will respond to recall cues before they graduate out of the flight room and allowed access to the rest of the house/apartment.

You will agree it can be a nightmare if birdie fly all over the house and not come to you on recall. Simple common sense can make living with flighted birds at home a lot easier.

And yes, birdies were also taught to fly back into their flight room and cage when cued.

Please do not use a time table, or even think of a time table.

Any training must be at the pace of the bird. If you have a time table, you might end up nervous. Birdies being empaths, will sense that in you, and be nervous as well.

Enjoy them, enjoy their presence.

Birdies can sense too your enjoyment of them and their presence. That will be a positive feedback process and they too will enjoy you and your presence. The recall process will come faster only if you do not rush it.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
The birds in the pictures are beautiful varieties I have never seen before! It is a delight to discover a person that understands the complexities of birds, all animals) recognizes their intelligence, that they have complex feelings and have compassion! Not being on a time table is a mistake many people make when working with birds.

You mentioned not having eye contact at first this was a major mistake I made when I first began working with many types of animals. It is human nature to make eye contact but it makes many animals very nervous and frightened. I hope to learn a lot from you smile
Diana

Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Diana,

Thank you for the nice things you said of me. The shoulders of the giants that I stood on deserved much of those accolades. That started when I was small and reading books by Gerald Durrell and David Attenbourough.

I came as an innocent into the bird world when Tinkerbell came into my care in Taiwan. I then gained other shoulders such as Karen Pryor. She said nice things of me recently that I copied into my blog.

Karen Pryor//Jackie Mash 03//Sieben & Jackie // Nasty Nic
http://shanlung.livejournal.com/137954.html

And most important of all will be that remarkable birdwhisperer Mr Lin staying in a remote hamlet in the midst of the mountain ranges of Taiwan. Do yourself a favour and check the links on him in above URL.

When I had Yingshiong the white rumped shama, the literature told me that the shama is so shy that they will not eat if you are watching them. I extended that to not even making eye contact with new birds until they were ready.

One the ice was broken, it was quite fast after that.

Shamas were prized for the tail, and much more importantly, the power of their singing and the variety. Shama could be bought for USD 400 and up to USD6000.

I stunned the shama world when I released recordings of Yingshiong and they could hear for themselves how a shama could sing when happy and allowed to fly in space much much bigger than a cage or even an aviary. And allowed interactions with the caregiver and given toys to play with.

More than half of my hits came from Indonesia and Thailand where shamas are in the rage. I hope what I done with Yingshiong would inspire those folks to try to do what I have done, for their own self interest in having a much more valuable singer. And allowing their shamas a much better life than just kept in a cage.

The shama world had not even known that shamas could hover like a humming bird until they saw Yingshiong interacting with me and read the reports I made and saw the photos.

Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Continued here because of the limitations of URLs

Here are a couple more of Libai

There was another bird I had not mentioned earlier.
That was Oberon, a male Asian Fairy Bluebird. I had a soft spot for this kind of bird for a long time and would not have kept this kind of bird. I saw Oberon have beaten to death by a female of the same kind in a cage in a bird shop. I had to take Oberon to rehab him and let him back when he belonged, hopefully to a fairy queen who liked him

Eventually he trusted me enough to fly to me.

I kept him for about 3 months to let him regain his wings and strength.

And then he was set back into the realm of the fairy queens. I thought he would fly off into the deep forest. I was touched when he flew only to the edge and stayed there watching me.
Oberon -Returning him to the realm of Fairy Queens
http://shanlung.livejournal.com/132128.html

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Your stories, links, and pictures have mesmerized me for hours. I loved the rendition of your trip when you met Bird whisperer of TsaoLing, Mr Lin. My spirit feels full when I learn of such caring people. I watched the release of the Asian Fairy Bluebird. What a beautiful bird.

Tinkerbell looks like he is having a blast on the bike. The free flying still amazes me.

The URL for Taiwanese birds doesn't seem to be working.

The quote you used fits my thoughts very well right now. How much I didn't know and what I have to learn. I could probably spend the rest of my life on your blogs and still not learn everything. "(old Zen saying that perhaps we can bear in mind, 'Do not mistake the finger pointing to the moon as the moon itself'")

I still have much to read in your links. I am enjoying the information and learning so I will keep reading smile

The mountain terrain is majestic.

You have had some wonderful mentors and I think I have found one as well smile

Page 17 of 19 1 2 15 16 17 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.