Next Thread
Print Thread
Vannie Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

This week I talk about Work-At-Home Scams, Don�t Be a Victim There are bona fide scams and there are work from home gigs that feel like scams. I once worked under an Avon Rep. that demanded that a certain $$$ quota was met each month. The good times were good, the bad times....

At one point it was so bad I bought so much of the product I soon had enough in my home to fill a small closet. Not to worry, my quota was being met. I stayed with the Avon Representative for a year and a half before I realized my dollar outgo was way more than my dollar intake. I finally stopped selling Avon, but it left a bad taste in my month about direct marketing. When I thought about it, and read more about the Avon Company, I realized it was not Avon, but the tyrant representative. I was able to recoup some of my money by selling some of the items at a flea market.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
One of my friends who is very intelligent signed up for one of the mystery shoppers that you always see advertised. She was sent Canadian travelers checks that she was to deposit and then go purchase items, sending any change back to the company. The Canadian traveler checks bounced leaving her with a negative balance in her account as well as having bounced check fees from the bank. It turned into a huge legal debacle between her and the bank. Really it was a scam and behalf of the so-called mystery shopper company. It was just a front to get people to send in money when they thought they were working and being honest.

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum
Vannie Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
It is very often the smart, honest people who get caught up in these schemes, look at the Bernard Madoff mess. I do hope your friends scammers were caught and punished.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
If they were, it wasn't after her incident.
Another scam that has been happening locally is a guy in Africa someplace taking pics off of the real estate sale website, claiming he owns a home, advertising to rent it cheaper than local market value because he is working inAfrica for a few years, and having people wire him the deposit money. After the wire transfer is made, the potential renters find out he doesn't own the property, and it is for sale anyway! I know this isn't a self employment scam, but i think it shows one of the big clues to be careful is anytime you are dealing beyond your nations borders. There arena local authorities to get involved, so this guy keeps doing this!

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum

Moderated by  Vannie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.